Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

April Fools and it is not even January yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

If they made one English speaking and one Irish speaking channel, one each for radio and only aired Irish made content, I'd back funding them. Opening jobs up to the public would be a nice sweetener.

Paying for foreign soaps and the like we can see elsewhere is a waste.

Privatise RTE, let them sink or swim!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭political analyst

How about doing away with 'Dancing with the Stars' and 'First Dates Ireland' and other so-called reality shows instead?!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Yes I think RTE should leave that sort of nonsense to Virgin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those are likely about the only profitable shows from an ad revenue perspective.

I expect there'll either be a tenner hike in the near-ish future; or if it changes to be something easier collected and harder to escape it'll probably go down slightly as a sweetener considering a lot of people who don't pay will have to start under pretty much any other proposal.

OP Im going to assume either yourself or someone you love dearly works for RTE.

In the UK, you can still buy a black and white TV licence and it's about £110.00 cheaper than a colour licence. Absolutely crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Changing the licence to a levy would save you a tenner per licence for the cost of AnPost collecting the fee and €24 because of the 15% licence evasion where AnPost don't collect the fee. A lot of fat could be trimmed off the tenner that goes to the BCI sound and vision fund then a household levy of €120 should bring in the same revenue.

Handing over more money to AnPost and RTE under the current system can't be justified.

Adam Saves Christmas - Adam was better than expected because he put the effort in, fair dues. Tubs just phoned it in with zero Christmassy vibes and zero Santaness. It was shown 14 times between the 24th to the 27th. It sickens me to think Tubs got paid 14 times for such a half arsed performance.

If the aim is to increase the quantity and quality of RTE's output the cheapest way would be to hand the gig over to TG4 and let them run the channels with rehiring at market rates as needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

RTE as an organization needs a complete restructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We should get them to fight it out thunderdome style in the RTE canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KildareP

The amount of ads you have to sit through in the often vain attempt to actually watch something on their player should be raking them a fortune alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Summitatem

The return on the licence fee is appalling... The RTE news is terrible....its like a loony left advertisement.

The wages are obscene... When Sharon highlighted Dobbs was on more than her why was it accepted hers were too low? His were loony. They've created a new role for the chap returning from the US.

The newsreaders over Christmas were no worse than the usual but likely on quite normal salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Once they stop paying the top earning "stars" more than the president of the USA for less than a full time job, they might be supported by me. There is not one single person in this country worth nearly 500k a year for a few hours work each week. Not one. Yet RTE seem to think we have 2 (Tubs and D'Arcy) who are worth more, closely followed by Duffy and Finucane. They can all go feck, they're not worth one salary between the 4 of them.

Bring in a threshold, max salary of 200k (still too much imo) for those doing multiple roles/shows across tv and radio. If they think they're worth more, off with them to other shores to earn it. There's no doubt a massive pool of talent who would be willing to work for a measly 200k per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's fairly simple really.

First we need to decide what sort of Public Broadcasting Service we want and then decide how to pay for it.

I favour the direct funding model because there are no collection costs, no evasion and TV becomes free at the point of use just like radio is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Before any increase is approved we need to know where the current funding goes. The "stars" are an issue but i'd imagine there are a lot of off screen earners getting a decent few quid too.

The app needs to work too with less ads.

Get rid of fair city and other shite.

Start improving output and them come back looking for more money.

If it was anyway as good as the UK national broadcasters I'd pay but RTE is truely shocking.

The only thing I watch is crimecall once a month on it. I've never paid for a TV license and never intend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

1st November 2022 will mark 100 years since the BBC introduced licencing. Of course this was radio only until the 1930s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There is another long running thread on the subject of RTE and their unending quest for more tax revenue to be redirected to them . . . .

There is a problem that more taxation won't solve.

The question not being asked how much longer can the linear media broadcast format remain relevant? This is not just an RTE problem, the same problem is affecting UK broadcast stations (BBC, ITV etc) and many US television stations less so to those that cater to older audiences e.g FOX news. There are households in Ireland that have no connection to or limited consumption of RTE and other Irish media broadcast companies and in that context raising the price does not win any new converts and probably pushes off those who are already irregular consumers.

Their only way forward is to develop funding based on a subscription model that allows consumers to pick and chose what they want, otherwise if you have a specific idea how broadcast media should be then run it as a subscriber-owned club model similar to the national trust does in the UK.

Subsiding a costly failing business model with more taxation is just delaying the inevitable. RTE can be switched off right now, the world is moving on.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I'll pay an increase in my TV licence of 16% when the top 20 earners of RTÉ take a 16% decrease on their salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'm eagerly anticipating the new (2020) millionaire factory figures due to be released in January. Of course this depends on Dee not having one of her bouts of amnesia again. Figures should be interesting this year as it's the 1st year to be published after the 15% cut was announced at the end of 2019.

Below are the last figs from 2019 and I have shown the -15% figs [] if all remained as is. But it didn't and that makes it tricky to estimate the new figs. For instance - Duffy should be approx 333k but will be on much more due to extra TV stuff (I nearly called it work there) and the fact that he took very few holidays as he was too bust telling us to wash our hands to avoid an airborne virus. Perry, Sarah Mc, Claire Byrne and BOC are all unknown quantities as their roles/programmes have improved or are new placements.

In my 2020 estimated figs there's a lot of guess work involved but I don't think I'll be out by that much. Based on those figs alone this would make the highest earner in RTE the delightful Mr Noel Kelly - Just from the 6 NKM people below (2020) his Co, if it's a 20% commission, gets 442k and is excluding all his other crew - 2fm presenters, Bannon, Wallace, Geary, Baz etc etc etc ... the list goes on and on and on and on... I couldn't be arsed going into it further atm but I would think NKM shakes down the millionaire factory for anything between 700k and 1m pa.

I'd love to see a RTE/VM/Bauer pact where they cooperate and state: 'We don't do agency stuff anymore - We employ/pay you directly or FO somewhere else'. Yep, that would shake things up nicely.

Happy Twenny Twenny two Noel, ya ya ya ya, c'mere listen, you're totally worth it.

2019                                                               -15%

Ryan Tubridy - €495,000        (NKM)                [420k] 

Ray D’Arcy - €450,000           (NKM)           [382k] 

Joe Duffy - €392,494             (NKM)           [333k]             

Sean O’Rourke - €327,988 

Marian Finucane - €358,013 

Miriam O’Callaghan - €320,000  (?)                [272] 

Claire Byrne - €250,000          (NKM)           [212] 

Brendan O’Connor - €220,000  (NKM)         [187]    

Bryan Dobson - €209,282         (RTE)

Mary Wilson - €196,961          (RTE)

Ryan Tubridy - €420,000        (NKM) 

*Joe Duffy - €333,000  (NKM) - (prob nearer 390k)

Ray D’Arcy - €382,000          (NKM) 

*Claire Byrne - €400,000 - est      (NKM) 

*Catriona Perry - €320,000 - est    (NKM)  

*Sarah McInerney - €320,000 - est   (?)

Miriam O’Callaghan - €272,000 - est   (?) 

*Brendan O’Connor - €187,000  (NKM) ) - (prob nearer 300k)    

*Bryan Dobson - €240,000 - est     (RTE)

David McCullagh - €240,000 - est  (RTE)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Taking your chances does not work if you pay for cable tv. Sky tv from a media provider virgin eir tv etc you.ll get a visit from the licence inspector. Theres alot of people who watch tv on tablets or laptops or pc. The app works fine you can watch in a browser. It must be up to date version. Chrome or brave browsers are ones I use. Rte need the money from ads. Making tv dramas tv shows is very expensive. The funny thing is the ads always work even if the tv show itself does not play properly on older browsers versions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Question for everyone complaining about salaries are you the organisations chief accounting officer?  If not, why are the operating expenses (OPEX) of the organisation of concern to you? 

Rather than the usual diatribe about salaries and production values lets look at it another way. To legally watch broadcast television in this county you must currently pay a minimum €160 from your income after other income taxes have already been deducted. 

Calculations are back of the envelope, a person on minimum wage must work just over ~2 days per annum ($160/€10/7.5 hours) just to legally watch television. Let's assume a single income household on an average hourly wage of €22 you must work ~1 day (€160/€22/7.5 hours) to legally watch TV.  In practice the cost to us in terms of hours you MUST work is HIGHER due to the all the other subventions RTE receives from government taxation and borrowing and if you really want to be pedantic about how many hours you must work there are your own running operating expenses to consider (electricity and heating, carbon taxes) to enable you to sit watching the TV or listening to the radio.   Think about that you need to expend >1 or >2 days labour per annum just to be able to watch TV.

How many hours of Broadcast (TV & Radio) do you consume per annum? If you are the average adult you are consuming ~3 hours TV per day. The numbers were skewed last year due to the lock-downs, if you include internet streaming and DVDs you may have been watching ~5 hours video content per day.

Lets assume RTE is getting an average 2 hours per day of your time that is ~730 hours per annum or cumulatively 45 days of your waking hours (assuming 8 hours for sleep).  Then you get into the subjective area of opportunity cost - could you be doing something more productive with that time? If so, RTE is more of a drain on economic activity and well-being than we first thought . . .

If you are spending 45 days per annum watching or listening to RTE broadcast content your complaint is not really about salaries. Is your complaint really that you would like to spend even more hours consuming RTE content if they would produce more of it or is the complaint that you would prefer to work less hard to be able to afford to consume RTE content?  What is the cut off price where you would walk away from broadcast TV?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

That you Dee? I spend no time watching RTE, none, not even the news! It's horrid sh1te!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't worry the Tories are on that. They've removed the subsidy for OAP's so the BBC are skint. Also making noises about turning Channel 4 into a commercial station where it would be just another Channel 5.

RTE have made some great stuff over the years like Hands but follow formulas most of the time, hence my suggestion to give TG4 the gig.

Advertisement