Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky News being added to Saorview

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

imho this is some sort of Brexit move to keep Sky within the EU. Why else would they bother at this stage, they must have all the customers they can get. The amount of people who would want Sky news but would not have a Satellite, Cable or streaming service in Ireland wouldn't fill a mini bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The amount of people who would want Sky news but would not have a Satellite, Cable or streaming service in Ireland wouldn't fill a mini bus

I don't know about that.

I gave up on satellite 5 years ago as I basically got used to watching everything online, including Sky News HD on Youtube, on the telly.

Surely satellite and cable are on the way out, unless they offer some sort of streaming service added in.

Personally I think satellite and cable are old hat now. With internet you can ditch all the apparatus that goes with it, the sat boxes and all that. They can't provide on demand which is the way to go, much better.

At least with terrestrial all you need is an aerial and plug it straight into the TV without a box. Even a portable aerial will do these days, low cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,714 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The Saorview only households would be mostly older people with no younger ones at home.

Low cost option for pensioners with the free licence all they have to do is plug in the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Didn't know that Saorview now contained Sky News until I saw this post 😀 Good to 👀 Pity that they wouldn't add some other channels: BBC News, CNN etc 🤔 It's a very under utilised platform compared to Freeview in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Saorview don't add channels to the lineup. It is up to broadcasters to approach Saorview to be added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

But what if Saorview (whoever they are 🤔) wish to add additional channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Saorview is just the platform. It's up to the various broadcasters to join it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's lots of spare bandwidth and lots of free channels. But TV3 took them to court so anyone going on Saorview has to pay full commercial rates regardless of whether they provide a public broadcasting service or are just regurgitating old UK FTA programs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

I wish saorview could get some UK tv channels like Channel 4 too like sky news is on saorview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those channels can get appropriate licences and bandwidth if they want. Saorview is the platform and has no control over channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Was there any photo OP of the minister signing a paper declaring sky news a public service channel to enable it go on Saorview? There was for UTV Ireland and Irish TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is saorview just for public service broadcasters? I assume any commercial entity can join assuming they pay up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Broadcasting act 2009 114.— (1) The objects of RTÉ are— ... (i) to establish, maintain, and operate one or more national multiplexes, ... (j) so far as it is reasonably practicable, to exploit such commercial opportunities as may arise in pursuit of the objects outlined in paragraphs (a) to (i).

But thanks to a court ruling RTE have been limited in what they can do to exploit commercial opportunities. No special offers , no discounted carriage of FTA channels, no loss leaders. RTE have to charge the same for Public Service Broadcasters as for channels that for practical purposes only exist in low definition versions to advertise their HD wares on their subscription services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

TV3 would have done better to not go to court probably.

Sky clearly use their saorview service as a shop window to their other channels just as they do with Pick TV and Sky News on freeview.

Channel 5 does the same with it’s offerings.

Why does Virgin carry on with Three variations of the same? They can’t all be commercially viable?

Sky Virgin clearly use their saorview service as a shop window to their other channels.

AFAIK Virgin have to transmit Free To Air to retain sports rights. They are hogging single digit channel numbers too. TV3 jumped ahead of TnaG who had to rename to TG4 so there's history of this. I'd imagine if Virgin left saorview TG3 would fill that slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

SKY News is a welcome addition to Saorview, they had a variation with Irish targeted adverts anywys.

It is a pity that BBC 1 NI, UTV, and maybe BBC News were obliged to be on Saorview in some GFA/Belfast Agreement initiative allowing RTE & TG4 to be on Freeview in the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RTE and TG4 /RnaG are available on Freeview in NI from a limited number of transmitters since 2012 under an MoU signed back in 2010. Saorview has a large overspill into NI also.

As regards the UK channels on Saorview this would have to be part of a commercial venture to cover carriage, transmission and any fees required by the broadcasters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,886 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pointless when they're already available free to air all over Ireland on satellite.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

This!

It's fking annoying as fck!

And it seems a very poor SD form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Hi all, just looking at Saorview future channels, I see TG4+1 to launch in 2023. Wouldn't it be better if they could launch a HD version of TG4 instead, hard to understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭doney84

IMO +1 channels are an absolute waste of bandwidth in this day and age of catch up players. They must bring in more money from the advertisers ?

The bandwidth on the muxes would be better served giving us the main channels in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Additional revenue from advertising has always been the reason for launching time-shifted channels, though it appear curious to launch one at this time when many of the other +1's of well established channels on satellite/cable are either closed, about to be closed or having a close eye kept on them as to when they're unlikely to be viable in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

And to make things worse again, TG4 are launching a separate children's channel called Cula4 later this year, what rubbish we'll have, they should put everything into one single HD channel.

Advertisement