Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Nobody mentioned bespoke designs. This is about providing safe houses for the families affected. Currently they are living in a mess. Not all the houses are in immediate state of falling down. Councils are employing various different companies to modernize houses all over the country. Lads from Kerry overseeing jobs in Wexford and other parts of Leinster. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that a contract could be signed and have a project management company control the projects

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭malinheader

Be a good tourist advertisement for the wild Atlantic way.

Perhaps some might have to Google where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No one is overjoyed about this, but if I could get my €450k house sorted for €50k or whatever of my own money and put this disaster behind me and my family, I'd be the first in line.

And as for the solutions mooted on thread, at least we're coming up with ideas, potential compromises and solutions.

What have the mica protesters done? Where is their compromise? Because all I can see are protesters abusing anyone that questions their demands, calling people pricks and dickheads, and insist that any compromise on their demands is a compromise too far.

Your second line down was enough for me.

Go back and do a bit more research before trying to make false assumptions.

And as for some of the compromises and solutions. Well I will just say I don't think you're that stupid that you know some of them are complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There is nothing nonsensical about a state loan scheme or shared equity scheme. What they are is that they are unpalatable to those who want to be made financially whole though.

What solutions have the mica protesters come up with?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's why I said demolish them. Well, dismantle the house for materials recycling, decomission the septic tank and return the site to grass.

Most one-off home sites are completely unsuitable for housing and absolutely unsustainable going forward. Irish planning has been a disaster for decades, Donegal is particularly bad in that regard, but by no means unique.

Build up population in Donegal's towns and it suddenly becomes possible to have more than one bus a week, have fibre broadband (most of the towns already do!), let your kids walk to school, not have your sewage sit on-site (even Burtonport has sewers and is getting a modern treatment plant; most of the small towns have properly treated mains sewage as do all the large ones) etc etc etc.

I have strong family connections to Donegal, I'm not posting this as some absolute outsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry I was merely responding to you moving the goalposts as you feel. Family homes one minute to suit whatever narrative of the day. The next day is redress for all.

Can't keep up tbh at this stage. There's so many asks I'm not sure if an outcome will actually come from any of it. But sure look. Let's call everyone names when they raise real issues. Let's slur people In the thread with abuse. That will carry favour and make it all look so much more reasonable aye..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Stalemate? What happens if the government tells you it’s this or nothing? You have no recourse. None.

I’m 34, didn’t cause the bank crash, didn’t cause covid, didn’t cause the housing market crisis, yet I’m still paying for them all while living in my parents’ house like a chump. Where’s my €420k to build a house?

Get a job. Work like hell until you have enough money for a deposit to approach the a bank for a mortgage like most of these families done. Doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

This post sums up how clueless Mica Protesters are. Telling people to "Get a job" is extremely insulting putting things very very mildly.

Newsflash most people who are struggling to buy a house have a job, practically all of them will have a job at or above the national average wage. If you are on minimum wage or anywhere close to that forget about it, you won't ever be in a position to buy a house and will be completely reliant on social housing.

Relatively speaking anyone impacted by Mica are rich, they have been lucky enough to be able to afford a house due to timing or just have a large enough wage. The people impacted are not "poor" by any stretch of the imagination. The asset values of their homes are irrelevant. The government has a morale duty to ensure the people impacted don't become homeless. But anything after that like asset values etc tough.

Genuine question do you actually live in Ireland? or pay any attention to the news over the last 10 odd years. The reason I ask this is that I struggle to understand how anyone who has lived or lives in Ireland could come out with the statement in your post.

We have a had an substantial housing crisis over that period. One of the reasons for that is NIMBYs objecting to housing which results in politicians of all stripes prioritising people who own homes above those without homes ie renters,people living at home with parents, homeless etc. The Mica situation is just another example of this. Houses should only be rebuilt where necessary. If work can be done to fix houses at a lower cost that's what should be done. Again the long-term asset values of these properties are irrelevant provided they are safe to live in. The money saved should be used to support those without homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Many would consider the scattered housing that exists in rural parts of the country an eyesore regardless of whether it is abandoned or not.

It is about family homes? So one simple question, are you in favor of investment homes and holiday homes being included as part of the scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I have a well paid job. Have been saving for years. Still no house.

I realise this thread is about the mica houses specifically, but at least you were able to get your house and begin your life and family. I and hundreds of thousands of people like me have not had that opportunity, and that is why our patience is wearing thin. And again, if you think what has been offered is unfair, then sue the government for liability. Except you can't, because they're not liable. So take the deal and move on.

The only extra thing I would be in favour of at this point (and maybe it's part of the terms already, I'm not sure) is a low/zero interest government-backed loan to cover the shortfall. So if you can't borrow the €65k from a traditional bank, the government will step in to either lend it to you or guarantee a loan from a third party. Beyond this, just build back a smaller house and move on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Horrific to see this line going unchallenged.

This attempt at daylight robbery will succeed, if the political system doesn't start sending a strong message.

Like, apologies to people in Donegal who find themselves facing a nasty problem. But there's folk having huge problems getting suitable housing, for all sorts of reason. Join the queue, or make common cause so that getting housed is just as unremarkable for people on average earnings as buying a bicycle. This doesn't mean financing €500,000 houses for people who (despite what the Minister claims) frequently have little or no mortgage debt, and have substantial private means.

Could you show your findings of little or no mortgage and substantial private means.

Thanks.

Tell you what, you share the evidence that the owners of a set of houses dating back to the 1980s up to maybe 2010 still "mostly" have significant mortgage repayments to make up to forty years later.

Because that's a more incredible statement.

You made the statement in your post not me.

Just wondering where you got the little mortgage if any and substantial means from.

Sorry if I hit a nerve.

Au contraire, old boy, it's the Mica advocates who've been contending that they haven't a bean. It's folk like yourself who have to substantiate their case.

I will take it that the post you made is out of your own assumptions.

Do yourself a favour and stop posting until you have facts and not made up things that are in your head.

When the campaign stops making obviously false claims, I'll stop refuting them. But not before.

Can you not see it was you who was making the false claims.

Maybe you honestly can't.

Bye.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a lot of negativity here.

It seems to be coming from those who don't have their own house so begrudge others getting something they don't get.

They should get houses and there should be a reasonable cap on costs.

The issue at the moment is that the cost has spiralled to ridiculous levels through shortage of labour and materials.

If things were reasonably priced and the material was fit for purpose then we could all get a home and get on with our lives.

You all need to focus your anger on the root cause of the problem as that is what is affecting all of us who are looking to get a home for our families. The cost of land, labour and materials. All of these issues can be solved by government at a time when they can borrow at historically low interest rates.

Fine Gael and Fianna Fail, who I have voted for exclusively up to this point, will not get this done as their voter base are people who ALREADY own assets (land and houses) and don't want them devalued by excessive building and reduced demand for what they already own.

I'm not liking the alternative options but what can you do, pick the best of what is left and go for them next time instead of complaining to people on boards who are trying to stop their house from falling down and can't get additional loans from the bank and the ones that can will have a much smaller pension as they will have to direct funds to the bank instead of their retirement.

So basically focus on the root cause of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is the root cause related to the large number of people who opted to build their own houses at mates rates with no professionals involved and ended up with substandard materials?

No, I definitely wasn't contending that a house built in 1980 would still have a substantial mortgage.

I'm pretty sure you don't anticipate where that argument takes you. It's actually the argument I was making; it doesn't conclude with rebuilding someone's house at a cost of €500,000 to the taxpayer.

I absolutely agree that those Donegal folk should look at the root causes, and demand the same deal for themselves that people get when they need to rent in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aleppo_rex

That's absolutely is not what happened but don't let that spoil whatever narrative is going on inside your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So where did I go wrong? Why aren't the families taking legal action against the relevant builders, who would have had professional indemnity insurance presumably?

You should provide some proof to back this up or question the person who led you to believe this. Saying this out loud to people in person will make you look very foolish.

You seriously haven't a clue what your talking about. Mates rates and no professionals involved.

Why do you post things you know nothing about. Is it just to get your post count up.

Seriously go away and study something before posting stupid comments.

Are you going to post where your original claim in your post came from or you just going to keep deflecting from something you made up yourself.

No deflection. Just rejecting the contention that these are severely indebted households. Which is unsubstantiated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Andrew very much has skin in the game. It's because he is a public servant. After the mica bill is paid, there's only crumbs left in the kitty for his next pay increase. Oh well.

Enjoy those crumbs Andrew! Don't spend it all at once! The rest of us can enjoy booming salary increases!

Advertisement