Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does any state organisation regulate Myhome.ie, Daft.ie and the other property sites?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm missing the big deal here. No matter what the dimensions are, a house/apartment can feel small.

No matter what a website says, I'm going to want to see it in person. I don't need a regulator to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

anamcheasta, which one of these units of measurement make you taller, mm or ft/inches?

Let us be clear here: these auctioneers are breaching Irish law by refusing to give measurements in metric. So, why should Irish consumers have to facilitate their lawbreaking by converting their archaic measurements into the modern, legal measurement of Ireland in 2021? They could just, like every other business in Ireland, comply with the law regarding metric measurements? Or is that taking "openness and transparency" too far for auctioneers?

Eh, the UK is a different state. It has a different measurement system, and different laws regulating it. How is this in any way a relevant analogy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Economics101

If I want to sell my house I hire an estate agent. The vendors are the principals and the estate agents are just that - agents. It's a fairly competitive business and if using square feet were to put you at a competitive disadvantage, the practice would die out. There is no need to refer to "shysters", estate agents and auctioneers are hired to get the best price for the vendors. Its up to the buyers to remember the old principle: "caveat emptor".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I looked into this in relation to flooring materials some time ago and I could not find any legal requirement to use square meters as the primary measurement for area. That does not mean it doesn’t exist but I couldn’t find it. (There are corresponding requirements in relation to weight and volume.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Showing sqft isnt an issue. It is easy to convert. Would be cool if the sites listed the build year like some countries in Europe do

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Using the Islamic calendar perhaps? Shouldn't be an issue. It's easy to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The sites can only list the information they are given.

If vendors and agents want to start putting build year into their ads, they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Aside from whether or not these property websites are or should be regulated, it always intrigued me how their regular property analysis reports are taken seriously. As private companies, with two obvious goals, sell or let property, how is it their reports can be looked at objectively. Always struck me as odd, a bit like taking RTE viewership figures seriously. IMO Of course.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

They don't sell or let property. They host advertisements.

And that gives them unique insights into the markets they support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I agree with you but a waste of time as we have pretty well no proper building regulation in this Country... it is pretty well all in-house regulation... everything except planning is done privately... don't be wasting your time add the numbers and divide by 10.7... keep remembering circa... The only real kindof regulator we have is the courts...

Correct re actually selling properties but they facilitate the sale of same and therefore have vested interested and less than objective reports often gleefully referred to by various media outlets. Fair enough if these reports were for internal research etc but when Media and indeed government sources refer to them as almost Gospel, that's were my concerns would lie.

A bit like a Brand financing a report or study on how wonderful their products are.

You don’t feel that building regs have improved? Personally I think the requirement for a Ber rating is hugely beneficial. The days of developers self certifying fire safety are gone etc. You understand that buildings have to comply with planning conditions?

I suspect adding numbers and converting to m2 is only a waste of time if you are unable to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I don't think it's really comparable to a brand reporting on it's own products. More so if a brand reported on the state of the industry they operated in.

But I do get the spirit of your point. It's definitely not in those websites interested to piss off their customers, estate agents in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

I wouldn't hold your breath on enforcing the metric system. Our own government is still fond of putting their square feet in it

I think most reasonable people take everything an estate agent says with a pinch of salt. It's not for daft to regulate estate agents. Nore should daft be regulated in that manner.

If you want to get a second opinion on a property size, without leaving the couch, there is always the BER summary that can be accessed online. Of course it might not be there but that perhaps tells it's own story.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Typical of this country to fail to gather and make available relevant statistics on an official basis. As a result, we're left with these private actors instead. However, their data and the official data that does exist are both absolutely useless. In Ireland, we hear "the average price for a house outside Dublin is..." when, in countries where data is properly recorded, it would be "the average price per square meter in Galway is..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

If a business wants to organise itself on the Islamic calendar, I have no issues with it

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

So what if it hasn't been taught in schools since 1970, I first went to school well past 1970 and I know it. I had to because it is still used by many today.

Though it does get a bit ridiculous when you hear lads ordering 4.8m lengths of 2 by 1 rough in the builders providers,

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

Yeah I'd agree that it's not up to the websites to police this.

But more generally I think regulations could he put in place to make advertising second hand property more transparent.

Estate agents really do thrive on providing the absolute bare minimum level of information to buyers, many of whom, let's face it, have no idea what they're doing in buying their first property.

Given the huge sums of money involved I think there's an argument for the state to step in and regulate the whole process more, saying buyer beware is just the usual business of the state lazily trusting "the market" to do its job for it.

Disagree with this. Buying a house is probably the biggest and most important purchase of your life. You have the benefit of YOUR surveyor and YOUR solicitor to advise you, and you get to view the property, multiple times if you want to, before purchase. Apart from the basic information, I’m not sure why you would need to rely on what an EA tells you. They work for the seller, not you, why would you want their opinion on the property or anything other than an outline description?

Advertisement