Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festive 500?

• 18-12-2021 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

I'm usually away for the Xmas period but as I'm home this year I'm going to give the festive 500 a go (500km completed between Xmas Eve and New year's Eve).

Anyone else doing/done this?

I've a fairly chilled set of routes basically choosing the least amount of climbing (tricky in Wicklow) and only 60km of zwift on Xmas day (depending on how I'm feeling I'd like to do an extra outside 60km to complete a proper 500).

Anyone else?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I say I will every year, but then stop caring. It's the holidays. I'm going to gorge and sit around and avoid the misery of the world with family while I can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I completed it in 2019. I put my chocolate Santa to good use as fuel for one ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@Phil,

I fully agree. I couldn't have put it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I always give it a go but I won't put myself out to hit the magic number. I usually get between 3 and 400 km in anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Yes, count me in.

Did it last year for the first time. Just getting over a chest infection so hopefully the timing is OK for me this year.

Weather was ideal last year, apart from one extremely windy day (when I had to abort a ride, hide in a church and call for a lift home).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Not for me but will do plenty training but not getting caught up in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I've completed five so far and going again this year. If you can get out early ( say 7am) you can be back before noon with 100-120km done. (And if your household is anything like mine, the rest of the family isn't up that long at that point so not much of the day has been missed.) Generally have only one long spin ( up to 200km), 3x 100km early spins and that gets it done while still having 4 days of no cycling.

I've ridden the 500 in near-perfect conditions and also in years where it was constant rain, flooded roads and strong winds. Last year was the first time I used some turbo sessions to make-up the distance and TBH, it isn't any easier or less worthy than completing it outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Same here. I'd actually like to do it but I like the festive season a bit too much to care enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

I've sign up the last 5 years or so, managed to complete it in 2018 ? Or 2019 ?

It became a chore and there were unenjoyable spins for sure. Much more difficult to do it in Northern hemisphere for sure. Think about doing 500km from 23rd June to 30th June, warmer and 8 to10 more hours of daylight. The years i manage 350 kms are usually more enjoyable 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

The "chore" of cycling Vs interacting with the mother-in-law.

🚴‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I see 2 people (at the time of writing 8am) have completed it (in New Zealand).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Anyone going out today? I have 4 hours free later on but the weather (annoyingly) doesn't look great around Dublin.

So I’ve made a plan to complete this is around my normal training. It will be a mixture of Zwift & road due to the type of workout I have to do.

Looking forward to the longer road spins albeit most likely solo.

I got the first 45km done this morning and only got rained on on the last 8km home in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

101 kms in the bag, a bit grim for the last hour but easier to stay out when you're wet than to go out when you're dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

110km in North Mayo. Dry first hour, torrential rain thereafter. :-/

Opted for the double sock as opposed to the overshoe as the weather looked grand before setting off. Got pretty cold but once again the rain cape saved me. Best piece of kit I own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭saccades

100 sodden km.

Gentle pace but the excessive water meant bits rubbed that wouldn't normally.

A sweaty 52km done on Zwift, no more until Stephens day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Great start. 11 K in the bag today. Intervals are no fun in the rain so I fecked off for home. Forecast is poxy for tomorrow too so already it's not looking good for a festive completion!

Weather is terrible, Bailed out, just going to enjoy when I get out and what i can do... no pressure.

There are not too many days when you have to pour the water out of your boots at the end of a ride. Tonight's commute from work was one of those days.

Weather gods not kind this year, Happy Christmas D to you and your family.

Nipped out for a quick 14km at 11pm last night. I'm only 20km behind the 40km per day needed to complete the 500. I'll be over at my folks on Stephen's Day so I'll extend the bike ride over and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Is it not 62.5 per day? I'm at the relatives so a big fat 0 for now but hopefully start tomorrow but won't get 500 at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭cletus

My maths tells me 62.5 as well, which is the reason I don't bother signing up for it.

Young kids at home means I don't bother trying to get out for either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, which puts me 125km behind the ball from the outset

Em the daily kms would be 62.5 kms, you now need 70km + but knowing your background you're capable of throwing in a 200km to 250km on one of the days 😃

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Booked for a PCR tomorrow so other than cycling to that and back, don't think I'll be doing anything beyond eating food and feeling miserable.

Advertisement