Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you have a problem living in a council estate?

Options
  • 25-12-2021 1:50am

I had a friend who lived in a council estate back in the early 90s. One day his daughter got lippy with a neighbor and the neighbors wife physically disciplined the kid. The guy made a huge deal about it and went to the police. From what I heard, it was no big deal, she just slapped the child a couple of times.

The guy moved out soon after that and now owns his own house. The kids haven't moved into a council estate since then and I was thinking this is probably the reason.

Would you have a problem living in a council estate because of incidents such as this? I've heard of a lot worse than this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I know the era you're referring to is almost 30 years ago, but laying a hand on someone else's child was crossing the line back then too.

Most don't want to live in council estates because of anti social behaviour. That simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

Nope, no problem at all. ./next

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

You live where you can afford to live.

I grew up in the countryside and in the late 90s a farmer was roaring at me and approaching me because my brother jumped the wall to get a football from his empty field. Only our dog raced out and put himself between us, I would probably have got a smack of him since he had a past of hitting people.

So would you have a problem living in the countryside?

No i wouldn't. I have lived there before and trouble makers are few and far between.

A lot less "our shít dont stink " people also.

Why you replying to yourself?

• Advertisement

I'm replying to the guy above me. There are trouble makers in the countryside - there just isn't that many of them.

Oh sorry, my bad, was wondering what was going on lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

That's debatable. I lived on a road that was maybe 8 to 10km long, connecting two villages. There is definitely less than 100 houses on the road. Two people had criminal convictions from bar fights in one village, the lunatic mentioned above had no problem hitting his wife when drunk, a book called "the room I never had" was written by someone 3km from my parents house (it's about a grim scumbag torturing his sons), a couple of drink drivers, a farmer who used to lock his shed and kick the living daylights out of his sheepdogs and who knows what else went on behind closed doors in some of the other houses. Will a council estate with less than 100 houses have more or less evil than this?

Decent houses are 500k and the higher end stuff would be a million plus, and located 20km from a city, so not exactly a down and out kind of area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭passatman86

Depends, what councilors live there - aren't a lot of them gangsters

I live in a private estate and a neighbour a couple of doors away would regularly threaten my daughter and other kids on the road with physical violence if they walked past his house. A few of the neighbours tried reasoning with him, but he insisted they should cross over the road and walk on the other side. He did assault one young lad with a hurl one day and the police were called an he was charged. (The young lad was walking to his own home, a couple of doors away).

Should I have sold up and moved?

Grew up in council estates and never once was physically assaulted or threatened with it, so yes, I would have no problem living in a council estate. Most older areas in Dublin anyway, started off as council estates.

• Advertisement

From what I heard, it was no big deal, she just slapped the child a couple of times.

not a big deal? Let me tell you if my next door neighbour slapped one of mine, even once, the slap they’d get off me would give them dementia. No one has the right to hit a child, let alone a **** stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I lived on a council estate in Cork during the 90's for 4 year's while studying, the people were so friendly and approachable. And I made some good friends there in Togher.I liked living there, and the locals were the salt of the earth. A great laugh and I love inner city folk, especially Limerick they have a sense of humour and very sharp and old school.

I also lived on a big sprawling estate in Scotland working there for a few years looking after the gardens and arboretum for the owners. I got on well with the toffs, used to get invited to gatherings and if there was a party or celebration the grounds and equine staff would be invited.

I suppose I'm not so pushed on the middle classes, always trying to show off and looking down on who the think is below them and trying to emulate the people who are above them. While the upper classes laugh at the wannabes and feel like they can identify with the working class women and men more.

Here's a good analogy of what Billy Connolly thinks of the middle classes...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Council houses today are just free houses for people who don’t want to work, they vote for the independent tds who winge continuously.

why work when you get a council house for €25-€100 a week. Working is for fools.

How can a house be free if you’re also paying rent for it?

you do realise also you can (and people do) get social housing even when working.

but don’t let me stop you giving the big one about how the unemployed are living a kings life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

There is a genuine openness about people who live in a Council estate that is rare... they are all on pretty much the same level and it works. I never lived in a Council estate but i think we could learn abit from this lifestyle if we chose to...

I used to be a bit snobby about this but life has taught me i was wrong...

It’s a minimum of €35 for a single person & €45 for a couple.

Keyword: MINIMUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭MakersMark

I wouldnt live in a detached house in any estate, let alone a council estate.

If receiving social welfare and a portion of your social welfare payment goes to pay the 15% of your rental cost then you are in receipt of accommodation which has been paid for by others and not by you. That is a hard truth which you refuse to accept. You haven't ever been able to form a cogent response to this fact which proves that many people who have chosen to "work" (sic) the Benefits system receive accommodation for free and as they have conciously chosen to exploit the weaknesses in the system they displace the working poor in the limited supply of social housing stock which exists to supply demand.

• Advertisement

Economists make a distinction between revealed and stated preferences. The revealed preferences of most people is that they will live in a house commensurate with their income, stated preferences don’t really match that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

Ah that's quaint,is Internet hardman still a thing?

No. It’s called having been abused as a kid myself and having no tolerance for anyone assaulting a minor.

I sparsely think anyone deserves a slap and I’ve on even fewer occasions been the one to dish it out.

i don’t really care if you think I’m being “an internet hard man” because it makes no odds to me, but let me assure you, if I caught someone slapping or hitting a child, especially if it was one of mine, the slap they’d get off me would leave their head spinning. Someone who hits kids is nothing but a bully and a softie and the only way bullies learn is getting a taste of what they give out.

the fact anyone could watch someone hit a child, especially one of their own or someone they know has no relation to the person doing it & standby and do nothing is disgraceful. Kids depend on us to protect them. My parents failed me. I won’t fail mine.

And honestly I won’t make many friends saying this, but as far as I’m concerned, if you sit and watch someone do that and take no action you’re as bad as they are.

not saying you should slap them back, call the guards, intervene somehow, but don’t just **** stand there and watch while a fully grown ass adult hits a small child. If you hit your kids you’re a monster who doesn’t deserve to have them. I don’t care what excuse you want to pull out of your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

I don't agree with people hitting kids of course.People don't really need to state that as its kinda a given.

I find folks online talking about the savage beatings they'd hand out in different circumstances a bit sad and an indicator that they have their own anger issues.

Anyway, if that stuff did happen to you as a kid I empathise.Its not a conversation I want to have with a stranger online on Christmas day though.

I wouldn’t give someone a savage beating that’s a bit over the top.

what I said was the slap (as in just one would do) would leave their head dizzy.

I’m very aware it’s easy to type shite online and act the big man, not my intention, because whether you or anyone else thinks I’m “hard” or not is an irrelevance. I don’t care what people think about me, generally speaking!

like I said, as far as I’m concerned if you’re going to hit a child, you’re a bully picking on someone much smaller than you and it’s my experience the only thing bullies understand is being treated the same as they treat others.

tl;dr if someone hits a child; give them a slap back and see how fast they try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Yes, I'd hate to live in squalor amongst the peasants of a housing estate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭oceanman

kids do depend on us to protect them and most responsible parents do that, but sometimes they need a clip in the ear too.....

Advertisement