Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They are canceling Tienanmen,again

• 24-12-2021 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭

some pretty impressive works of art are being dismantled in Honk Kong.

How does this barbaric vandalism compare to the Taliban's destruction of ancient religious monuments in the recent past?

More generally how do we deal with this Chinese regime?(is it coming to a country near you?)

Oh, and are there any defenders of this jackbootery?I know you are out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What we can do is absolutely nothing, because China's position is simply too powerful within modern geopolitics to build pressure for change. All we can do is sit and watch Hong Kong's independence shrivel slowly by iconoclastic actions, or ones aimed at the democratic process itself.

Sanctions only go so far and it's easy to forget just how much influence China has now within Africa and South America (just look at the vaccine rollouts there, and who's supplying the jabs), that any punitive may stall because of resistance outside the US/EU

How does it compare? One is ancient religious monuments, the other is horrible looking modern piece of art, albeit in memory of something important. Hong Kong is now a SPR of China, it is hardly surprising that the Chinese Government wants to remove it. Monuments to historic people and events have also recently been removed in both the US and UK.

I doubt the Chinese will invade Ireland, so I’m not too concerned myself. They make damn good phones and I’m very happy with my golf clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭amandstu

"Monuments to historic people and events have also recently been removed in both the US and UK."

Oh so you are justifying the Chinese regime's behaviour because people over here object to slave owners exploiters and traders being accorded deference with their statues remaining on public display down the years?

Perhaps we could erect a statue to Cromwell in the Phoenix Park? I am sure it could be justified too if the will was there.

Post edited by amandstu on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In before the inevitable "The Chinese, a great bunch of lads" or something like that, post.

If there was a statue of Cromwell, would you argue about being taken down even though it would be a historical monument? I doubt it.

The Chinese object to the Hong Kong monuments, and as HK is now a region of China thanks to the UK handing it over, I suppose they get to decide what monuments they want to keep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The UK "handed it over" as you say 25 years ago.

It's supposed to be a 50 year transition period for it to be fully integrated into China.

So it's only half way to becoming a "region of China" as you say.

So it still has a degree of autonomy.

However recent events are really shown that China are not going to wait around for the next 25 years to get that integration finished.

You "think" the Chinese get a say?

Quaint.

We are talking about an anti democratic regime.

Of course there are those among us who would be quite happy with unrepresentative regimes....

In the case of a putative Cromwell statue that would be a matter for democratic debate and decision making.

My opinion might be not very interesting in that context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Its okay, because its not Trump tearing down the shrine.

Chinese as in the Government.

Some English monuments were removed/destroyed in Ireland too you know, and there wasn’t a vote.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/charlottesville-many-monuments-to-british-figures-were-destroyed-or-removed-in-ireland-too-3552832-Aug2017/?amp=1

I don’t agree with the removal of the monuments in HK, but as that is now part of China I recognise that the Government wants to remove them, and can. Some people may have objected to the English monuments being removed from Ireland, but as Ireland was now self governed, they had the right to remove them.

"Chinese as in the Government"

Indeed."illegitimate" might also be a descriptor.

The "right" of the Irish to remove monuments on their soil is limited by the democratic nature of the government.

That government would ,if it had a mandate be within its legal and moral rights to put them up again.

The Chinese government lacks such credentials but "we love their phones"(paraphrase)

• Advertisement

Get a grip, a modern statue is in no way comparable to ancient religious stonework that the Taliban or IS are destroying.

This is more akin to the council chopping down a much loved neighbourhood tree.

Both are illegitimate regimes destroying the evidence

Meh, they still make great phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

They are cancelling everything , uyghurs , languages, religions, history.

bunch of animals over there.

The tribunal to investigate the claims of the genocide against uyghurs has confirmed that China is committing genocide against them.

its like our generations Holocaust and will our governments do anything , I haven’t heard a peep from ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect there will be a ban on Chinese manufactured goods to the western world in the new year??

There is already Chinese antidumping laws coming early in the new year.

I'll go out of my to NOT buy Chinese products (I almost certainly unconsciously do).

The recent elections in HK guaranteed a majority lackey government, and was largely boycotted by the locals. Any semblance of HK independence is a sham, which the Chinese government are masters at.

The Chinese government are power hungry, and play the long game. They felt humiliated during the WW2 period, and now will do whatever it takes to ensure that doesn't happen again. Democracy is weakness in their eyes.

They are very much a threat to the rest of the world. One thing that may hold them back is that their economy may be over heating.

NOT a great bunch of lads afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

You may be right but we buy all their goods... we will talk d=for a few weeks and then we will move on to next chapter....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Every little doesn't help them.

Very few people would have bought German goods during ww2 (even if they were available). This is a long war. We're supporting our enemies by buying their productd. It's Christmas so I'll get off my soap box 🙃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Would be great if all the Sinophobes would boycott Chinese products.

Then we wouldn't have to read their mindless hate speech drivel all over the internet 😴

Who is a Sinophobe?

Someone you can give a misleading label to to mischaracterize their ideas?

Are you a Democratophobe ?

As the PM of a notable democracy once said, “democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.” When you look at some of the tools that have been democratically elected in countries around the world over the last decade, I wouldn’t be holding up democracy as a beacon of righteousness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is a matter of perspective. We don't like seeing the destruction of statues in HK as we were broadly supportive of the movement being commemorated. Others might see Tiananmen Square as a rebellion of sorts and don't hold them in any great stead.

Outrage here is based on the belief that our opinion is the superior one.

Personally I am not in favour of destruction of historical monuments. I would include statues of former UK kings and queens and Stalin or Hitler elsewhere. They can be moved or given less prominent display but they are still important historical figures that need to be remembered.

I don't need my history to be sanitised for me.

"Others might see Tiananmen Square as a rebellion of sorts and don't hold them in any great stead"

Others?

Who are these "others" that support the crackdown in Tienanmen square

Is there a separate group of "others" who support the attempted erasal of those events from recorded history

Let's drink to a future without "rebellions" :'-(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think there's a degree of (intentional?) misreading of context against the broader happenings within HK; it's more than just pulling down statues going on here, and you can't compare it as just some internal nothing. Not least framed against the "elections" recently won by Beijing approved candidates and the slow removal of independence.

And trying to imply racism is just an especially bad faith, needlessly hostile take.

• Advertisement

It is lazy ,expedient and probably indicative of the guilty conscience that accuses one's adversaries of that which applies to oneself

Perhaps also an attempt to shut down discussion

Lately, it's always China but it's the same Bad Faith shutdown that informed the occasional helicopter post when Israel came up; criticism framed as anti-Semitism to paper over unethical actions. While, presumably by extension of this "logic", criticism of authoritarian regimes in Africa is actually racism against black people. It's nonsense, and as you imply, says more about those accusing than the accused.

To my mind,our "democratic" states are indeed under attack because despotic regimes realize that they need to attack and discredit them in order to protect their own position

The world will not stand still and if we do not fight for our democratic rights they will be worn down .

Hong Kong ,a colony of Britain was never militarily defendable (we can indeed have "democratic over reach") and it was naive to suppose the Chinese regime would honour its word.

Even Boris Johnson doesn't do that. ;-)

I agree, the despot SF’s in Ireland need to be slapped down.

Not sure what your point is.Some kind of an innuendo?

Sorry, I thought this thread wasn’t serious. I see you that to you it is.

• Advertisement

Check out the forum it is in. I think you thought it was in AHs for some reason. Because China depriving people of the representatives they desire is tots LOL.

Why did you think it wasn't serious?

In what sense ,the subject or the treatment of the subject?

Some other way?

To me it is indeed a very serious subject.

Be careful how you reply ,you may have used up most of your sarcasm allowance.

When you start a thread comparing the removal of thousands of years old religious monuments to the taking down of 30 yr old sculptures by the government of a region. That kinda gives a hint as to the weight of the thread.

Well this is a serious thread, so if it doesn't suit you post (or go) elsewhere.

I bet the irony of your intolerance of other peoples opinions on China is lost on you. You asked if other posters are concerned about the sculptures being removed, and in doing so likened it to ISIS destroying religious monuments thousands of years old, though people may not agree with what the governors of HK did, it most certainly is not the same as what ISIS did, in fact, to equate the two is absurd.

• Advertisement

The two actions have not been equated by me

viz

"How does this barbaric vandalism compare to the Taliban's destruction of ancient religious monuments in the recent past?"

but I did describe it as "barbaric vandalism", (so the description could apply to either)

You think the Chinese authorities are simply exercising their rights .

I point out that they are an illegitimate regime ,and I can add ,extremely repressive with very little open dissent allowed.

In that context the removal of artworks depicting a bloody repression should be pointed out and discussed by those of us who have the liberty and privilege to do so without fear of being rounded up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

And when they’ve subjugated Hong Kong and Taiwan what’s next?

To be fair ,as a huge economic power with a huge population the Chinese can reasonably expect to have a comparable zone of influence.

The problem only arises because the centre of power in China is illegitimate and repressive.

So we can anticipate they will spread that nasty influence around either by hard means or ,as they no doubt prefer by soft means.

I don't expect the Chinese empire to last forever but it will probably outlast my lifetime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The Chinese state for one. There are a good few people in the country if I remember my geography correctly. There is also a fair bit of support for communist authoritarian views remaining in the world. Even in countries that should know better

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

I remember the East Germans'(was it them?) incredulity as to why we believed that they swallowed the lies of their government when they had no choice to express their real views

The same is likely to apply to Chinese nationals forced to live under that regime.

There will be a day of reckoning but we may not see it and that regime may do for us too before that happens.

That is one reason they are wary of swallowing up Taiwan

I agree they must have much of the nationalist sectors of society supporting their policies for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭rock22

Why do you think it is appropriate to impose our (Western) values on China? I imagine China has no need for our so called 'democracy'.

Neither did the UK when they held Hong Kong ( Another result of British Imperialism). They only introduced the parliament there immediately before handing ot back to China in order to annoy the Chinese.

Why do you think a UK parliament act which created the interim arrangement, should be respected by China.

I am no fan of China, but you are suggesting that they should disregard their 3000 yr old values and adopt our western democracy because ...why ??

Are our values so much better. Perhaps consider alll the wars started in the last thirties years by so called democracies before answering.

You are living in a dream world if you think democracy is some kind of a passing fad that belongs to the victors of economic power

Democracy is as intrinsic a function of human society as breathing and will always resurface after periods of repression

Indeed it is wrong to attempt to crudely impose one's ideas of "correct" democracy on any other political state but there is also the principle of solidarity at play(do you remember when they shot people trying to escape into Western Germany -which practice continues of course and is aided and abetted by the Chinese state)

Of course it was naive to expect the Chinese (or any) state to keep its word but perfidy should be called out at every opportunity surely?

You are guilty of what you seem to despise so much, when you try to impose your beliefs on others. The Chinese people have lived this way for longer than democracy has been around. It shows an extreme level of arrogance and ineptitude to tell a nation of 1.4 billion people who live a certain way, that they are wrong, you are right.

It is my belief that the path of human progress and enlightenment lies through democracy.

Maybe you consider that to be "imposing my views on others"?

Nobody's telling anyone anything, unless you consider a discussion about the suppression of history somehow an instruction for the Chinese government. Which, uh, wildly overestimates amandstu's international reach 🙂 While conflating the institutions with the people is also reductive and a cheap way to shut down discussion;, not least given this entire conversation in the first place stems from the ruling party attempting to erase a pro-democracy rally, violently suppressed by said party. There's an irony in there: stop talking about a country stopping people talking about democracy.

Anyway, "Democracy" is not a monolith: even within western nations there's a wild disparity between (say) Irish democracy and American (the latter a debate in of itself with its partisan duopoly). Or indeed Switzerland which it's "direct democracy", and requirement for votes on what seems like everything. Whatever might work for China as a system of governance, the first starting point should always be truth and openness. "Reeducation" camps and the systematic scrubbing of unconformable histories? It isn't arrogance to call it, they're inimical concepts to fair rule. Benevolent dictatorships aren't impossible but this ain't it either. And "They can do what they like, it's part of China now" would guarantee many sins ignored, and flies in the face of international cooperation - and mutual progression. Good friends call you out on your bad shít.

• Advertisement
Advertisement