Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Bereavement and Christmas?

• 26-11-2021 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭ sporina

My Mum passed away a few mths ago and I don't feel v xmassy at all.. like, I'll go to Mass, have xmas dinner (no crackers) and watch movies.. etc.. but I don't feel like sending cards/presents etc.. no tree/decorations.. lots of candles.. Is that ok? whats the norm for Christmas when your grieving? PS I don't deprive others of a nice xmas.. I just don't feel v xmassy..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭ sporina

its just how I feel.. lots of tea and hymns (and I am not even that religious but Mum was in the choir)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,816 ✭✭✭ elperello

People will understand.

Those who have felt the same after a bereavement will understand even more.

Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ gipi

Well, it is a tradition in Ireland for a bereaved family not to send Christmas cards the first year. You may find that some people don't send cards either.

Do whatever you're comfortable with, and take care

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 33,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭ CiDeRmAn

I know how you feel.

We lost dad in November and, well, I don't know how it is supposed to be, this Christmas.

I know I have been enjoying the typical tooing and froing of the season, but there's an underlying sadness to everything, sometimes subtle, sometimes acute.

I imagine it's like a painting, but the canvas this year is tinted.

I miss him and I've found that sharing stories about him, the happy and sad, ease the pain quite a bit, especially when you can recount a tale that makes people laugh, it makes it okay to find joy even in this time when there's a ragged hole in you that you think won't ever heal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement