Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn calf bedding

• 23-12-2021 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Well what are lads and lasses using for bedding the autaum born calf are ye all using straw are is their any cheaper alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Straw here, option if older bigger calves for slatted creep pen with cubicles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

Straw and plenty of it.I Tried skimping a couple of years and only ever regretted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have a good supply of sawdust here free of charge from a local joinery. I leave a trailer there under the extractor and collect it when full. I put it under them abou a foot thick and it does them about 6 weeks. If I run short of dust I throw straw in and the soakage of the dust underneath keeps it clean for ages.

I wonder would you save on straw and silage if you could leave stock out to fields near the shed just during the day on dry days

A lot of effort and you would need a bit of dry ground near the sheds

Could be risky with change in temperatures etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Your last sentence would be my thoughts on it. When they are in, keep them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Justjens

Creep gate in exterior wall to let calves outside works for here.

If you have a field that drains easily and has shelter of a wind break then could leave a few out all the time but it is a pest feeding stock outside with round feeders.

And they would want to be lighter cows with hardy calves

Or heifers

Advertisement