Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Autumn calf bedding

• 23-12-2021 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭ dodo mommy

Well what are lads and lasses using for bedding the autaum born calf are ye all using straw are is their any cheaper alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭ Hard Knocks

Straw here, option if older bigger calves for slatted creep pen with cubicles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ Who2

Straw and plenty of it.I Tried skimping a couple of years and only ever regretted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭ Grueller

Have a good supply of sawdust here free of charge from a local joinery. I leave a trailer there under the extractor and collect it when full. I put it under them abou a foot thick and it does them about 6 weeks. If I run short of dust I throw straw in and the soakage of the dust underneath keeps it clean for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭ Barktastic

I wonder would you save on straw and silage if you could leave stock out to fields near the shed just during the day on dry days

A lot of effort and you would need a bit of dry ground near the sheds

Could be risky with change in temperatures etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭ funkey_monkey

Your last sentence would be my thoughts on it. When they are in, keep them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ Justjens

Creep gate in exterior wall to let calves outside works for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭ Barktastic

If you have a field that drains easily and has shelter of a wind break then could leave a few out all the time but it is a pest feeding stock outside with round feeders.

And they would want to be lighter cows with hardy calves

Or heifers

Advertisement