Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Construction Management Graduate Opportunitys

Options
  • 17-12-2021 10:14am

Hi,

I am in the final year of my course and was just wondering about what jobs I could be looking at when I graduate. (please excuse my lack of knowledge/inexperience I haven't been on site for placement due to covid)

I know I am more into construction than civils and that I am more interested in being on site for a contractor rather than working for a consultancy.

In a Construction Contractor type of company what would be a quick overview of the roles available to me?

Any info/experience greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Right. Well firstly you're graduating at a good time. Site personnel are scarce.

When you say you'd prefer construction to civils I'm going to assume you mean a preference for building.

So time to do some research.

There are 100s of construction companies ranging from ones lie BAM and Sisk with hundreds of employees down to subbies with 1 or 2.

https://www.constructionmagazine.ie/cif-top-50-contractors-2021-revealed-in-the-latest-issue-of-construction-magazine/

They'll each have their own way of employing graduates. Big companies have graduate programmes with defined paths for the first coupe of years. Small companies who hire graduates will want them to be able to be a jack of all trades.

Have worked with many construction management grads. They have almost exclusively started in graduate engineer roles, in this country it's just the way it's done.

Btw I'd say post in a more popular forum.

Advertisement