Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a walking route on land......

Options
  • 17-12-2021 7:34pm

The walking land thread got me to thinking, turning a conflict/stress point into a positive point - from a business point of view, as the farm land is a business.

If one had a feature on private land, would it fly to approach the CoCo or another body with a view to developing/constructing a permissive route to that feature.

By "route" I would be thinking a (fenced) surfaced path or track traffic-able in low shoes.

The benefit to the land owner might be potential to develop a spin-off business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you think you can make a business out of it, it's a great idea.

Planning permission and any number of environmental reports will be needed I'd imagine.

If your land is in a conservation area, I'd say no chance.

I do have an idea, the footfall would be handy, however I'm not sure I'm terribly gone on this idea as yet as it'd be a permanent thing without knowing whether the idea would succeed or not.

This piece of land isn't designated, yet.

Insurance/liability and funding the route would be my prime questions atm.

Or, even whether a CoCo would take such a project on. Though there does appear to be endless amounts of €'s sloshing around for greenways and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I'd think it would also be dependent on the feature. If it's of a Heritage nature such as a named ringfort then I think the Dept of Heritage would have a massive say on the matter. This is strange as they don't seem to have any issues with cattle trapezing all over them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I think the National Monuments Service (https://www.archaeology.ie/about-nms) are the body that oversees same. Maybe they reckon that livestock grazing such sites are are a good enough way of preserving them considering they (livestock) have be doing same for centuries?

Post edited by Base price on

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Belongamick

I have such a walk way - connects several landowners with heritage features.

It is ran under a Co. Council type body who pay the landowner a small fee to maintain (grass topper/tidy fence) and is recently entirely fenced (supplied).

It is insured by the body in terms of public liability in particular.

I have to admit, I was very skeptical at the start but the experience has been extremely positive so much so that I hope to put up a couple of signs in relation to one or two lesser known features about the area and a picnic bench.

There was a huge uptake during the first lock down and it is much safer for small kids than winding country roads.

I am no expert but there might be a heritage person attached to your local Co. Co. There may also be funding locally to support you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thats a bit far to go for an afternoon ramble 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭enricoh

I've said it to my in laws about doing a one day adventure race. They're over in the west with a good bit of it mountainy. Out with the digger and make a few obstacles, bog bath, then run up n down the mountain.

Hire a decent shower system and let them camp over Saturday night, BBQ n DJ. A lad I know done one race n paid e150 iirc n said over 1000 at it. No camping or craic after. The first and last call could be the insurance company though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nice place near Walkabout Creek. Translates into english as Mick's Place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

From what I see most of these walkways are community type projects, where a group of locals come together to develop a route. They then approach various landowners on the proposed route and see if they're interested in getting involved. As mentioned above, fits payment schemes in return for basic maintenance. I suppose if you had a few thousand acres in the right place, you might manage all on your own land. Where lads do make a bit of money also is in providing supervised car parking in the right places and maybe a wee coffee shack. The likes of LEADER grants helped with those in the past. The car parking is a good one as helps stop the clueless from blocking laneways and clogging narrow roads. Attractive too for them if they know the car will not be broken into while they're away.

Advertisement