Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking on your land

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭carfinder

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I cannot quite read the Examiner article as I do not subscribe. I could glean parts of it but not all. As I pointed out earlier minors U16 are not included in the legislation. However part of the reply was incorrect.

In the trespassers legislation ( and it's is in force nearly twenty years now) there is only two type of people catered for Guests, and uninvited Guests( trespassers for the want of a better word). A Guest a someone like a friend you invited for a cup of tea, the postman, the miller rep or the silage contractor etc. A traveling salesman is not a guest neither is someone wandering your fields. Signs are not necessary.

On Gunclubs I neither give permission nor do I go shouting and roaring at them. They are uninvited guests.

Like everyone that has any sense I pay in

And the fact it was the women husband was a solicitor would have influenced the judges decision as well.

It no irony, in the twenty ish years since this legislation nobody has successfully sued a farmer while walking on his land.

I pay my insurance if there an issue I will hand it over to them. There is no way issue and no need to consider a lad walking you land as a liability from an injury point of view as long as he is uninvited.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭einn32

I always thought with cases where someone trespassing on land/property had an accident the judge would award something to them. It's like when you see those signs in a carpark stating the carpark is not responsible for any vehicles, well a judge would most likely see it different. Another example is construction sites where people have trespassed despite adequate warning signs and fencing. If they get injured then the builder could be liable in court. The best you can do to limit the damage in court is have warning signs etc. People laugh at me when I keep checking fencing and signage on sites. There are plenty people out there who have no issue in pulling a fast one at you expense.

This is totally different to open countryside and by extension private property as opposed to regulated areas. For instance construction sites and car parks owe a duty of care to those that are in the vicinity of them. A farmer or any private property owner dose not. They may not deliberately harm them but they do not owe them a duty of care.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Dunedin

You are missing the point here. What I’m saying is that if you are found negligent you will be liable. For example y leave a chain Harrow in a field and forget about it and the grass grows up through it - best of luck to you if some uninvited guest gets injured. Other greyer examples might be if someone tore an eye off a briar that was growing out of a ditch.

Both examples are not intentional harm but liability or a portion of it might lie with farmer. I’m not saying I agree with the law but case law will show that unfortunately this is often the case. Below is a classic example

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/injured-trespasser-wins-6-500-in-damages-1.1061484

• Advertisement

No I am not missing the point. You do not understand the legal phrase about ''no duty of care'' means you being negligent is not an issue. The way the legislation is phrased if someone list an eye to a briar there is no way they would win compensation, on the harrow the claimant has to prove that you deliberately left it there with the intention of injuring someone.

There has being no such cases won in court where the claimant was an uninvited guest. On the spiked railing, the boy was a six year old so is not covered by the act as he is s minor.

Slava Ukrainii

Well you should read the Irish times article and it’ll show you are wrong. The clue is in the title ‘injured trespasser wins €6500 in damages’

have a nice day.

The trespasser was a minor not covered by the act. As well spiked fences around a property could be considered similar to putting glass.into concrete on the top of a wall to discourage/ prevent access. Putting glass on top of a wall is a deliberate act whereby you will injure someone if they attempt to climb the wall.

Again he was a minor not covered by the act.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Have an interest in this topic for various reasons .What I do know is that I asked my solicitor some years ago about this and his advice was that if I saw someone "trespassing " best thing was to pretend I had not seen them .Its back to the duty of care argument as Bass Reeves said ;as long as you do not intentionally harm them etc then you have no duty of care to uninvited guests .

Slightly higher standard for invited guests but again this is what your public liability is for .

Trespassing is a civil offence as far as I know ie you have to bring the case yourself .

From the Examiner article ;

Firstly the landowner is not to intentionally injure or harm the person, and secondly, the landowner is not to act with reckless disregard for their safety.

Thats all you have to do .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,006 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It is not because he was a six year old boy. Age isn't directly relevant for the Act. The judge made the decision because there was a history of kids regularly trying to retrieve balls and the owner knew about that activity. Therefore it brought the risk itself into the higher category - "reckless disregard".

Just FYI, the 1995 Act only applies to the state of the property itself. So it does not apply in relation to any activity that you do on that property. Additionally, there are 3 categories under the act rather than 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The purpose of "no trespassing" sign, its only a deterrent.

I have never seen a legal action about this, and Gardai will not get involved - its a civil matter.

Its happened on my land, when I challenged a couple of people, what were they doing?

I have signs and fences everywhere on my perimeter, just happens to be a very scenic area.

I got a load of guff about right to roam, land should be enjoyed by all.

I am not Jack Reacher, so not going to take on people in a possible fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

The ditches and fencing on my farm is designed more to keep people out than keep animals in lately. All our gates are locked and wrapped up in barbed wire so you'll skin yourself trying to get in. We have meshed gates that the average person can't climb and animals can't get thorough. On top of that electric fence is a clear deterrent for most.

I was expecting a lot of trespassers with covid but there's been less in the last 2 years than ever. You'd be some fool to get into my fields when there is mother and calf or the bull in them.

I think the barbed wire on gates possibly could be a liability for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

What you need is the anti-climb paint, along top of gate.

It never dries.

In the case of the woman who paraphrase

‘sued the National Parks and Wildlife Service, who placed the boardwalk on the lands. Last year at Dublin Circuit Court judge Jacqueline Linnane found the NWPS was negligent and was ordered to pay Wall €40,000 damages.

The NPWS, who denied negligence, appealed that ruling to the High Court. How many people would have the means to appeal a €40k award to the high court?

I think it’s safe to assume that NPWS didn’t intentionally set out to harm her but the circuit court saw fit to award her €40k.

I doubt either the woman set out to intentionally injure the child but it cost her €6k

No issue on your point of duty of care is to not intentionally harm anyone but case law will show that where negligence is proven, whether intentional or not, that liability or part of will lie with landowner. A simple google will provide plenty of evidence. I’m not a subscriber to the examiner but I can read their articles

but anyways Bass I’ll leave it with you and hopefully for you, you’ll never find out and more importantly I hope I never find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm not Jack Reacher. I'm John Rambo, so I set horrific traps that kill & maim trespassers.

I wouldn't be defending it my insurance company would. And they have appealed any of these cars they lost to the High court and onto the Supreme court if necessary. That is why all case law shows that the legislation is robust. That is why I pay for insurance.

The NPWS like many government bodies or larger companies self insure and again they pursue cases where they consider judges make incorrect decisions. The first main case law on this was where FBD pursued a case where a women slipped down a cliff and a HC judge gave a significant award as the cliff edge was not properly fenced . The SC red that the women should have known that because there was a fence there even though it was in poor condition that by going beyond she was at risk and should have known it

As Paddydream solicitor advised I ignore trespassers and because they are uninvited guests my insurance company will sort the rest. That is what I pay insurance for

Slava Ukrainii

You’re some man to twist the argument.

sure why would you need insurance, why would insurers go to court if there’s no liability on any unintentional injury?

won’t a one liner citing the no duty of care against trespassers do the job. Case dismissed. It’s amazing that the circuit court doesn’t know the law and someone like your good self knows it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

They are plenty places in this country to walk dogs we are blessed with lovely parks and walks and greenways all over Ireland. There is absolutely no need to be entering people's private property and places of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭kincaid

we had hunters and hounds on our land and one guy took two dogs and and spade and must have dug out a fox on our land and never asked permission, the cheek of some people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No, it's up to uninvited members of the public onto your land to take care of their own safety. You can't recklessly endanger them, by say building a pit trap with stakes in it, with the intent of injuring someone. But that's the sort of reckless endangerment you'd have to do, in order to answer a case. The Occupiers Liability Act was brought in precisely to address this issue.

On the other hand, you do have a duty of care to people who you actively invite onto your land - whether neighbours or contractors etc. Where landowners agree to public walkways and greenways etc., the state will indemnify them once they are open and approved.

As for the OP, does it not depend on who they are and what they're about, time of year etc.

Regarding the two cases posted earlier, I think it’s safe to assume that NPWS didn’t intentionally set out to harm her but the circuit court saw fit to award her €40k. 

I doubt either the woman set out to intentionally injure the child but it cost her €6k

In relation to NPWS and the boardwalk woman, the circuit court made an error and the case was appealed and rightfully turned over. She should have been looking where she was walking. Full stop.

In relation to Spike Woman, that may well fall into the area of reckless endangerment - just like building a pit trap. She deliberately had the spiked fence built with that knowledge and intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are making a huge deal over a single case, which shows how weak it is given there's only the one. How much of the €40K did she get again? I don't have insurance and haven't been concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

You don’t have public liability insurance?

That doesn’t seem like a good idea either…

Nope. Dont have home insurance either. Think of the Dr who nearly killed himself wirth a shotgun while poaching on my land. What's he going to blame me for? A trespasser goes for a swim in the lake and drowns - not my fault.

I am not twisting the argument. The facts are clear. with public liability insurance I would not be fighting the case it would be my insurance company. The other fact is the 1996 act has stood the test of time. Yes there has been cases but in any case where an adult was not deliberatly hurt there has been no pay out. It is insurance companies and larger organisations that handle these cases. That is not twisting anything it plain and simple facts

I have no problem with people deciding to keep there lands or property private. but when peopleuse the excuse that treasspers couldsue them as a reason I consider it scare mongering. It is grand to say there is plenty of parks and greenways, however many of these can be 30 minutes to an hour from people and it may not be feasible for them to travel there for a 20-30 minute walk.

The problem I have with cases like that is the judge not awarding costs to the defending entity. Just because it is a big public organisation why should it have to pay it own costs in a failed case. There tend to be risks legal professionals will take for clients suing large public or private organisations know that if they lose costs will not be awarded against them. I have seen it in accidents at work etc. In one case 20-30 years ago the judge told the defending council that they should maybe negotiate a settlement even though there defence was rock solid. The defending entity asked there defence team what was the story and they were told that the judge '' not only did he the judge not want to award costs against the plantiff he was looking for there legal team to be looked after''. The owner of the company was shocked he was staniding to lose 20-30K in costs. He instructed his barrister to tell the other legal team that he was not settling and he was willing appeal the case to the supreme court if the judge awarded against him. his own legal team was shocked but the other side backed down.

Slava Ukrainii

I absolutely agree - full costs of both sides should be borne by those taking and losing these cases. That'd soften the coughs of the chancers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Advertisement

No. You might say I put money saved on insurance premiums into investments. I have never personally encountered anyone who lost their house and needed insurance to replace it.

Advertisement