Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt problem with motor dealer

Options
  • 16-12-2021 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I am having serious problems with a motor dealer in the South East who refuses to Vrt a UK import jeep i have purchased from him, the issue has been going on since July & I am continously been given the runaround, the dealer has been selling exclusively UK imports so I am assuming there are many in the same situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is he a proper dealer with a premises? It is an offence for to sell a foreign registered car here without registering it on Irish plates for you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Aly Daly

Yes he is a registered dealer with a premises, he originally traded in the UK & has an interesting past there, the fact that his actions are illegal make absolutely no difference to him & I am told it would take a minimum of 18 months to go through the courts system.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why did you take the vehicle on UK plates?

He has probably keep this sale off his books altogether and will let you whistle now.

Might deny all knowledge of sale if no proper records.

Do you have the v5 registration document for it? If not, it's even worse.

M

It's going to be a bit of a mess for you, your insurance will inform Revenue after 50 days of it being on UK plates, this could then lead to seizure.

Have you done any calculations for the VRT and do they match what dealer originally stated? Do you have the V5 document? If you have the V5 document it might be easier to just VRT it yourself and leave it at that.

The sale was done through my debit card & I have an invoice & V5, the day I bought the vehicle he told me he had arranged a Vrt inspection & showed me proof of the same. I have been whistling for a while now.

• Advertisement

OK Atlantic Dawn I will probably have to Vrt it myself as you say, this is easier said than done.

M

How old is the vehicle? Could it have been a shock with the VRT amount that has him steering clear of it? Is it a private vehicle or commercial? If it's a private pre Sept 2015 diesel the NOX figure could be as high as €4850 and the VRT on top of that.

Are you aware of the issues around registering UK imports since Brexit.

They will charge you vat as well as the vrt unless it was a northern Irish import

Commercial vehicle post Sept 2015.He would have been aware of the vrt with just no intention of paying it, its a mess really.

M

No NOX for a commercial vehicle, may be VAT with the VRT if it was registered in UK mainland prior to Brexit.

• Advertisement

Yes mickdw I am aware now of Vrt & vat charges, the vehicle was first registered in the UK.

Registered UK mainland Atlantic Dawn prior to Brexit, good few vehicles advertised by him at the moment all UK imports.

It is my understanding that only the person that imported the vehicle may Vrt it,maybe revenue will understand my plight I don't know, perhaps I can re sell it in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What is the issue that the dealer is having with VRTing the vehicle? Why did they sell you the vehicle without first VRTing it? A dealer is legally required to sell a UK vehicles to an Irish resident only after it has been VRT'd and registered on Irish plates for the new owner.

Hi bazz26, it doesn't matter to the dealer that this practice is illegal as he is well aware that court proceedings take approx 18 months to come around, his issue with vrting the vehicle is that he doesn't want to do it & has had his money, as I say he has in history UK. In hindsight I should have seen this, I am in business but don't know much about the motor trade & needed a vehicle asap. He had a lot of UK imports for sale at the time i purchased mine so I assume there is a trail of destruction behind him, he no longer advertise on what I assume is Ireland biggest second hand motor trade platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is the dealer a SIMI member? Can you start Small Claims Court proceedings against him?

Not a SIMI member AndrewJRenko, small claims is €2,000 max & vrt+vat well above that.

You will need the v5 which you have, a receipt for the purchase from UK or northern Ireland and proof of when it entered the country.

Before Brexit, all sorts of crap was accepted for these but won't be the case now as vat is due on the UK invoice price plus delivery cost.

Turning up with an Irish garage invoice for a UK reg vehicle would be interesting.

I wouldn't go about doing it myself yet. Chase that dealer. Do whatever is needed including bringing revenue down on him. He is a scumbag so feck him.

Mickdw, receipt is Irish I have no way of accessing UK invoice price or delivery cost, I am assuming I have already paid vat on the purchase cost but I do realise that won't wash with revenue, will they allow me through explaining my predicament to register the vehicle, I am prepared to pay Vrt & vat & possibly duty on the vehicle at this stage, trying to plead with the dealer is a waste of time, a Google of his name is a horror story of motor trade crime.I realise I maybe should have googled him previous to buying the vehicle but there must be dozens like me & counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm sure Revenue would be very interesting in this individual and his business practices because it sounds like he doesn't want to VRT the vehicle for you so that he can stay below their radar regarding declared earnings. You would be surprised how the system can speed up when Revenue come into the mix.

That might be your only avenue in this situation I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

bazz26, he automatically declared this transaction as I used his credit card machine to pay for the vehicle & he gave me a headed notepaper receipt, but I agree something will have to be done in relation to informing them of the vehicles presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Phone Revenue and inform them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Assume this is a crewcab?

Yes crew cab colm_mcm

I think it's abit green green to assume he has processed this sale through his business just because you paid by card. He probably has a web of dodgy businesses and your payment is shuffled through that.

It will be suitable proof that you bought off him to anyone looking at it objectively but I wouldn't be assuming that it went through that garage accounts or profits declared anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm sure revenue will and the OP should definitely report them to revenue, but that won't help the OP get onto Irish plates.

OP have you done a history check on the UK reg and got it checked out by your mechanic? If the seller has as bad a reputation as you say the vehicle could be stolen, a right off or just unroadworthy. Also contact your bank and see if they can do anything to reverse the transfer and then return the vehicle to the dealer.

mickdw it's not my concern what he declares as income, my concern is what to do next, I understand that if all relevant documents are not with the vehicle at the time of inspection revenue will not vrt it. What I need from this discussion with respect to you & others who have contributed is an expert in Vrt matters post Brexit & ideally someone who knows what to do in this situation, contacting revenue & outlying what happened may have very negative results for me regarding whether or not they will put the vehicle on Irish plates. I now feel like a criminal driving around while the perpetrator of this fraud sits back & let's me squirm.

Del2005, I had done all the relevant checks & had the vehicle looked at by a main dealer who said it was fine. I can ask the bank but will they reverse a transfer from July?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,673 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just a note of caution that several car importation businesses have been found to be connected to serious organised crime groupings. I guess your choices are to try to nag or push him into fixing the issue by standing in front of him, or else take legal action.

• Advertisement

AndrewJRenko, if you stood in front of this guy he would apologise profusely & tell you it will be all sorted in no time, the legal thing is a waste of time.

Advertisement