Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommendation for new electric vehicle - €50k budget

• 15-12-2021 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be changing my car by summer next year and have a budget of about €50k. Self-employed so no BIK.

I'm considering an EV but have never had one.

My last few cars have been BMW 3 series and I cover about 30k kilometres per annum.

I'm not averse to moving from a saloon but know nothing about EVs so would be obliged for a few recommendations or tips on what to look at or what to avoid.

I've looked at a BMW i4 but it seems to be coming in over €70k!

All comments welcome and gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Miscreant

A KIA EV6 perhaps? I think they can be had for around that price and are getting rave reviews on every website and video I have read/watched. The driving range on the car is up to 500km I believe and they are very well equipped. Or perhaps it's twin, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 might fit the bill.

It all depends on what you want really. A lot of models would be within the €50k price range, so I think the world is your oyster here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭fits

If I were you I’d just try out lots of different cars. We love our ID.3 Tour but others not as keen on it. The Kia would be a nice one to try but probably a bit over budget as you wouldn’t get the ev grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Good point re Tesla but I should have mentioned that it must be a new vehicle or else I don't get the VAT/tax break.

• Advertisement

It’s only available to private purchasers as far as I know.. If you’re buying it for your business there’s the bik benefit.

Cheers, I didn't know that.

The car would be registered in my name (not a company). It is, essentially, leased but is registered in my own name from new and not the company or a finance house. I must check that out.

The Kia looks lovely.

I used to own a couple of Golf GTIs in a former life. They were fantastic cars to drive. It might be a step too far for me to pass over a brand new GTI in favour of an electric VW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What's your charging options?

Can you charge at home? If so you're looking at around 400 to 500kms of range setting off in the mornings.

Do you travel far from home often? The charging network is poor and very busy if you are away from home. If you have a tesla you have a "decent" dedicated (for how long?) network which covers a lot of travel on the island.

The ID.3 was the best to drive of the ones we test drove in April. But I don’t know how it would compare to a GTI.

I'm based near Drogheda and the furthest that I'd travel is Dublin in one day.

I might have a trip to Cork a few times a year also.

I can charge at home with no difficulty.

Thanks for all comments so far folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jordan191

To avail of the accelerated capital allowance, vat rebate and no BIK you'll have to buy the car through your company, so grant not available, test drive a model 3 RWD, around 54k through the company nothing else comes close to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Range no issue for you. I would look at a model 3 for good range and excellent software. Enyaq for a traditional SUV look. Ioniq 5 as a great all rounder and look which will get you a lot of interest and attention. Ultimately you should prioritise as normal. So comfort and least road noise I would say and then features. Ev6 is just out but also looking good. You need to try them now to get one hopefully for sometime in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ID.3 with the mid size battery should be fine for that. It would need a recharge each way for the trip to Cork but if it's a leisure trip then you'll just need to take your time

The bigger battery with the ID.3 obviously gives you more range, you could probably get to Cork without charging, if you had a destination charger so you could charge up while there

If you need the extra space, then the ID.4 is one to consider

VW are also bringing out a saloon/estate EV at some point. It's called the vizzion or space vizzion, it's sort of an electric Passat or Arteon. Not due until 2023 though

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Audi Q4 can be got for 50k in a modest spec ,skoda enyaq in high spec available for same money

I'd have the Audi ,same vehicle for the most part

Thanks folks, great suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

No question Tesla Model 3. AutoPilot, glass roof, most efficient, best performance and the charging infrastructure is exceptional. In base white under 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

If it's the same why not get the high spec skoda??

Well true but for some ,the Audi rings are worth a premium, more upmarket finish inside too in many peples eyes

Agreed ,especially given OP,s recently owned motors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Model 3 SR+

The new one has much better range than before and can be charged to 100% without issue so the "usable" range delta to the LR (which is 10k+ more expensive) is quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

& you get heated steering wheel, front and rear seats !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

I'd go for the Kia, the build quality is great in their recent cars. All the toys are thrown in too, as much as I appreciate the technological wonders of a Tesla I just can't see myself ever driving one.

Without that CEO there would be no EV option today

Thanks again folks, there's a bit of research to be done!

Is there anywhere that can you can find the average cost of charging the vehicles (if done at home)?

I've never really been in the market for an EV before but I will certainly give it a lot of thought now. Both the Tesla and Kia look like fantastic cars but the performance of the Tesla tempts me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If you take your "Per unit" price for home electricity and multiply it by the max size of the battery in a car you are interested in then this will give you a rough idea how much it will cost to charge from 0-100%. Add another 10% to the end price to account for charger losses. It will certainly work out cheaper than running an equivalent Petrol or Diesel car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

Whatever about Elon, a few neighbours have bought Teslas over the last few years and each of them has issues with build quality with the biggest complaint being one of the early adopters of the Model 3 and ended up buying himself some aftermarket part to stop rainwater from running into the boot when he opens it. One of the others has a Model S and the steering has never been absolutely straight on it, no matter how many times he's had the car looked at and serviced, it's always drifting to the left.

That Model 3 rainwater was fixed with updated version of the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

With due regard to what you're saying here (all true, I've no doubt), Tesla have massively stepped up their build quality on the made-in-China Model 3 with the LFP battery (the Standard Range one that you would get if you ordered today).

Therefore, if the OP is concerned about build quality, they should make sure to look at feedback related to the cars made in Shanghai in the past year or two. Early-run Model 3s from Fremont (particularly 2017-8) and any Model S's are irrelevant.

Advertisement