Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Here are the movements onto N25 East. Pink blobs mark the end of merges. There’s a good amount of space there for N25 traffic to have a clear run at things before Little Island traffic tries to join. Remember, traffic joining (from the red path) must yield. Approaches to that junction could also be managed by traffic lights to control the rate of joining.

There is no way onto N25 East for traffic that does not go through the lower dumbbell roundabout. From exit 1 of that roundabout that road diverges into to branches: one (left lanes) leads to N8 North, the other (right lanes) goes to N8 West. The second exit of that lower roundabout leads to the tunnel and N40 West only.

I suspect the join between N40/N25E and the N8 North roads will be tapered in such a way that traffic coming from the tunnel will be allowed move right onto N8 North, but traffic that originated from the West has no way to cross over, and must continue onward to N8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Where you say "the join between N40/N25E and the N8 North roads will be tapered in such a way that traffic coming from the tunnel will be allowed move right onto N8 North, but traffic that originated from the West has no way to cross over, and must continue onward to N8." that's exactly my concern area. It looks like there are three potential flows joining together at your left-hand pink dot. If that's cut to two, it's much more manageable.

I have secondary concerns about this same junction: Glanmire/Glounthaune traffic will come through it too and I believe it will be quite busy. So I don't think North Cork traffic towards the city is going to choose the M8 when this upgrade is complete, I believe they'll still rat-run through Rathcooney etc. Ultimately, I think when this one's done, we'll still have a North-Cork to City problem.

It's also the active transport route through the interchange! The only improvement I can think of would be an overhead route from M8 southbound through towards the Glashaboy river. It would need two new structures, and the one at the West would be quite complex.

Okay, this image is clearer. (source: HomePage_Sectors_SectorsListing_Geotechnical_ProjectProfile_Dunkettle.png (1000×459) (fehilytimoney.ie) )

The slip heading toward M8 North is completely isolated from N40-to-N25 East. There is no opportunity for merging or weaving.

The only place where weaving could occur is between point A (N8-South meets Tunnel-to-N25-East) and point B (diverge from Tunnel-to-N25-East for Little Island Junction). That’s going to have to be under a reduced speed limit, I think.

Point C is where the Eastbound traffic from the tunnel meets the main N25.

I’ve put traffic originating in Little Island in red. Only Little Island to N25 East touches any traffic flow that originated in the tunnel, at point D, and by that time, the eastbound traffic is well sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

As far as I can tell, the blue coming out of the tunnel will be 2 lanes, right along to C. Orange will be one lane. But I would like to see the proposed lane arrangements for sure, thats the sort of detail we haven't seen just yet.

Of course, it might be somewhat self-sustaining, if traffic is bad at that dumbbell, people might just see it and go along to the Little Island junction.

Yes, blue is 2 lanes, Orange is one.

From Point A to Point B is three lanes.

Point B to C is five lanes, merging to three (the existing road is three lanes here already).

The drawings here show the lane arrangements:

.. it also has these nice renders of the final scheme, complete with lane-markings. This one shows the section between Point A and Point B on my drawing above:

These are the original scheme drawings, last changed in 2012, but they are the same drawings as used for illustrating traffic movements on the current project scheme.

You've drawn it perfectly and confirmed my thinking also: it's point A to point B in your drawing that I'm most concerned about.

My secondary concern is then the red traffic flow which crosses the bridge over the N25. It's drawn in red on the incorrect side of the bridge but that's immaterial, the point is that it will be Dublin, Cork, Mahon, Glanmire and Glounthaune traffic sharing that bridge lane and I expect it to be quite a heavy flow in the mornings.

Combine these and you get: bridge backed up, slip lane backed up, tunnel backed up.

This is just an observation, I haven't done any mathematics whatsoever and I hope I'm wrong about it!

Chris_5339762, I don't think the tunnel traffic will be able to "see and avoid" if the weaving Dublin-origin traffic clogs point B above: the tunnel will cease to function Eastbound.

I think the only way that this can happen is if traffic is leaving Little Island blocking the upper roundabout, if traffic on the new Little Island link road itself stops, or if there's a crash due to weaving between A and C above.

Look at the second montage that shows the layout between A and B. The M8 off-slip is slightly elevated, but there are good sight-lines for traffic already on the N40 off-slip to see what’s coming down that ramp. Also, and in fairness to the designers here, they have made sure to keep the extra lanes in place in order to reduce the effects of weaving: there are two destinations from here, but three lanes. Traffic from the Tunnel to N25 Waterford is pretty much out of this, and can just stay right and avoid everything. An 80 or 60 km/h limit through the interchange, white paint and good signage will solve a lot of these problems

On my illustration, I’ve drawn the traffic flows from the Western side of Little Island, not into it, so the red line is on the proper side. ( On the original drawings of that scheme, which I linked to later, there is a red line along there, but it is a cycleway, not a traffic lane.)

But remember that this junction is not the only access to Little Island - the existing Glounthaune/Little Island junction will remain further East. This junction only has to deal with the flows that would normally have used the Tunnel Roundabout to access the Western side of Little Island. For that, it will be fine.

Great work Kris! You're right, the third lane there will take away a LOT of the problem. I had thought it was two, and that was a major part of my concern!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

The busyness of the interchange works is inversely proportional to the busyness of this forum.

• Advertisement

Interesting email this week. The beams for the new dumbbell interchange to the east of the present roundabout will be put in place during November.

a lot if the work is also focusing now on the N8 east to N25 south movement which will hug the present flyover before looping to the left and joining the M8 mainline to go to the tunnel.

I think this also is a facilitator to remove the existing "Ibis" slip road beside M8 Southbound. That slip road needs to be removed reasonably urgently to facilitate other works, so focusing urgency on the movement you've highlighted.

With my "sustainable transport" hat on, it will be an important movement also, as it will be the first cycle route directly into Little Island. It's unlikely this cycle route will get much use in the short term, but in the medium-to-long term, there will be some "on-road greenways" from Glanmire to Dunkettle, and it will be a viable commute for some current drivers. You can imagine, for instance for people in the new Ballinglanna estate, that this will cut 2km or so off their 5km journey. That's a big deal. It will also for the first time facilitate buses into and through Little Island as a viable commuter bus route. There was a proposal also to have a "shuttle" route from the Train Station through the Island and back via this interchange, but I don't see this happening in the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

In case it wasn't posted here already, as well as Open Street Map being updated (showing very complicated looking arrangements), Google StreetView updated (some of) their images around the junction in August of this year so there are some nice shots there as well.

It's some project, in terms of its complexity.

To add to that the entire interchange (apart from the old slip into Glounthaune) is still in-situ. It may be complex now, but when they do the diversions to build the bits on the current footprint of the interchange, it'll be even more complex.

Looking very far into the future, when the Tivoli docks are redeveloped, I’d like to see a walk way / cycle way developed south if the train line / Dunkettle interchange linking Tivoli directly into Little Island.

I think this would be a much better long term solution to get city cyclists into Little Island.

That is the long-term plan, yep. South of the Glashaboy bridge, and South of the Tunnel Management building. The route will be viable but it looks like an opportunity to de-traffic Dunkettle will likely be missed. Obviously very far into the future, but some challenges that will need to be dealt with are:

The route will be on the boundary of the harbour SPA. It will be resisted particularly at the mouth of the Glashaboy River.

The route through Tivoli will be complex: there will be a P&R and it will be a dense urban area. I have low confidence in the ability to deliver a route of quality through that.

In draft Tivoli masterplans to-date there have been a mix of a direct "transport" route and an indirect "scenic" route along the shoreline. Where it's been "direct", it has been a "tag-along" to the primary motorised vehicular access. It's likely that a BOTH a "tag-along" direct route and a "scenic" shoreline route will be delivered, neither of which will work well for transport.

The link eastward from Dunkettle interchange to Little Island is currently of low quality and will need to be upgraded.

Finally, there is a plan to add a new river crossing from Centre Park Road to the Millennium Garden (Tivoli) and I believe that this movement will be a key part of delivery of an East-West corridor. The proposed design of this is a bus corridor with "tag-along" cycle lane to the motorised vehicular access.

From a Dunkettle perspective unless we upskill big time in active transport infrastructure design we're going to struggle to get meaningful modal shift. More cars will certainly come through Dunkettle from Tivoli. Cars, buses and trains. The opportunity is available to create a model "active transport" area but I don't think we'll see that opportunity materialise. At this point it's more likely that we'll get good mass transit in the area.

Sorry for digressing so much, but in fairness it does heavily concern Dunkettle.

No drone footage on this weeks email sadly.

Significant work being done on the N8 East to N25 south link though.

I'm expecting the new Little Island West dumbell interchange bridge to start getting its the beams installed before too long.

The upright pillars are all nearing full height by the looks of it.

I was able to have a little more of a look at the new M8 bridges over the railway line, and there's still a good bit to do on both of them from what I can see. There's not enough earthworks on either side and certainly no blacktop on the bridges themselves. So a bit more to go there. The widening of the M8 L2998 bridge is ongoing, but looks like it's well over half-way, to my untrained eye.

I think I read that the beams will start to be installed on the bridge for the dumbell beginning in Nov.

I see they are pouring columns for the N8 West to N25 South link at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Pretty sure I passed two of them on trucks at the site last night. It was a hive of activity around 10pm.

The email today has photos of the first beams being put in place. Great progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Next beams to be done tonight. It seems like they're progressing at a good rate, would anyone know is it ahead of schedule or as expected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi there, have you the photos of the beams being put in place and is there any recent drone footage of the entire scheme?

Do you know when is this project due for completion and is it on schedule, looks like a very complex interchange , its well up there with Dublin's Redcow M50 Interchange

That's the pic in the email anyway, no drone video within the email.

Here’s the drone footage but it’s before the beams were put in place.

https://youtu.be/PhWd8diYRvs

• Advertisement

Yup, beams are in place on the westbound N25 now. Looks a bit weird, half a bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭steeler j

Great video , it's starting to take shape

Great update video is right. Best I've seen, giving structure names and flows. In fairness.

New bridge beams have appeared over the N25 Eastbound over the past few nights, and gantry frames have gone up on the N40 West and East between Mahon and the N28 junction. They look flimsy at the moment!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gooseman12

Its been a bit quiet here lately, i havent seen any newsletter update on the dunkettle site since late october.

Anyhow, I did notice they had started to surface the new bridge just north of the main roundabout along with installing the central concrete median.

Maybe other users have an insight into the schedule, but i would assume we might see the N8 South to N25 East route (the righthand bridge below) open at some point, along with remaining N8 S traffic being directed over this new bridge and onto the roundabout from there?

Don’t know what the timeframe is but that bridge now looks in a very advanced state. I think we’re not far off it being used. The work to move carriageways is already being undertaken 400m up the M8 with the widening of the bridge over the L2998 and the surfacing of the widen central median.

Suspect the N8 East to M8 North slip will be opened soon too.

Would suggest signing up to the weekly update email on its website. Great email every Friday.

Post edited by spacetweek on

They are still sending out the newsletters weekly, its worth signing up. A new one just plopped into my inbox an hour ago.

I think N8E to M8N (Tivoli to Dublin) will open fairly soon. Then that slip can be used for all sorts of nighttime closures (eg: N25W to M8N could be rerouted that way at night) and close most of the Dunkettle interchange for whatever needs doing.

Looking at the pics in todays email, we are very close to that new slip being opened.

looking at plans, assume they’ll demolish the present road alongside the new bridge. They will then build one more bridge beside it?

The work to realign the M8 for the new bridge is really taking shape.

Email today noted that the new mainline bridge will begin to be used from early 2022 onwards.

Anyone like to speculate how traffic flow will work? Will be difficult to have this bridge to temporarily tie in with the roundabout given the slip road there.

I think they'll just move the traffic lights slightly and stop southbound traffic on the roundabout at the new location. Northbound I suspect will work the same as it does now, at least for the time being.

New video from DroneHawk:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very interesting presentation:

Only started watching but an interesting date: Completion of civil works is due on March 29th 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭NedNew2

And also of note is that there won't be a single grand opening - links will be opened once they are ready with the whole project completed by March 2024.

Indeed. A lot of the old architecture will have to be demolished to make way for new movements so a phased transition is required.

I think the N8 east to N8 north slip will open soon after Christmas. Probably a few weeks after the new bridge starts to get used. Will just require tie in with the existing M8. This will open up a new access route which will help with temporary traffic rerouting.

the bridge carting the slip from M8 South to the new 4/4 dumbell interchange is also nearly there. Suspect this might get opened in the new year to allow M8 South to Glounthaune movement.

Very possible. And any movement removed from the roundabout itself will allow traffic light sequences to be adjusted and general improvements to flow.

Isn't it that M8 South to N25 East slip will open first, they'll move all the southbound onto the new bridge and move the M8 North carriageway a bit east, allowing the N8 east to M8 North slip get finished? Will be great to see the progress and how they link it all in, my head melts trying to figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gooseman12

New beams across the western overpass of the roundabout went in last night, awful night weather wise for them to be working.

Those are for the M8 east to N40 south movement I think.

I spent way too long looking at this wondering how the cars were on the road going under the beams. Thought where cars were was towards little island, not the off ramp.

Went under them today, looks class

Short new drone clip of M8 South to N24 east

Post edited by spacetweek on

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OpinionN

I hadn't noticed the gap between the railway bridges of M8 South and the 'new M8 South' until that video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Advertisement