Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The email today has photos of the first beams being put in place. Great progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Next beams to be done tonight. It seems like they're progressing at a good rate, would anyone know is it ahead of schedule or as expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi there, have you the photos of the beams being put in place and is there any recent drone footage of the entire scheme?

Do you know when is this project due for completion and is it on schedule, looks like a very complex interchange , its well up there with Dublin's Redcow M50 Interchange

That's the pic in the email anyway, no drone video within the email.

Here’s the drone footage but it’s before the beams were put in place.

https://youtu.be/PhWd8diYRvs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yup, beams are in place on the westbound N25 now. Looks a bit weird, half a bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Great video , it's starting to take shape

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Great update video is right. Best I've seen, giving structure names and flows. In fairness.

New bridge beams have appeared over the N25 Eastbound over the past few nights, and gantry frames have gone up on the N40 West and East between Mahon and the N28 junction. They look flimsy at the moment!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

Its been a bit quiet here lately, i havent seen any newsletter update on the dunkettle site since late october.

Anyhow, I did notice they had started to surface the new bridge just north of the main roundabout along with installing the central concrete median.

Maybe other users have an insight into the schedule, but i would assume we might see the N8 South to N25 East route (the righthand bridge below) open at some point, along with remaining N8 S traffic being directed over this new bridge and onto the roundabout from there?

Don’t know what the timeframe is but that bridge now looks in a very advanced state. I think we’re not far off it being used. The work to move carriageways is already being undertaken 400m up the M8 with the widening of the bridge over the L2998 and the surfacing of the widen central median.

Suspect the N8 East to M8 North slip will be opened soon too.

Would suggest signing up to the weekly update email on its website. Great email every Friday.

Post edited by spacetweek on

They are still sending out the newsletters weekly, its worth signing up. A new one just plopped into my inbox an hour ago.

I think N8E to M8N (Tivoli to Dublin) will open fairly soon. Then that slip can be used for all sorts of nighttime closures (eg: N25W to M8N could be rerouted that way at night) and close most of the Dunkettle interchange for whatever needs doing.

Looking at the pics in todays email, we are very close to that new slip being opened.

looking at plans, assume they’ll demolish the present road alongside the new bridge. They will then build one more bridge beside it?

The work to realign the M8 for the new bridge is really taking shape.

Email today noted that the new mainline bridge will begin to be used from early 2022 onwards.

Anyone like to speculate how traffic flow will work? Will be difficult to have this bridge to temporarily tie in with the roundabout given the slip road there.

I think they'll just move the traffic lights slightly and stop southbound traffic on the roundabout at the new location. Northbound I suspect will work the same as it does now, at least for the time being.

• New video from DroneHawk:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very interesting presentation:

Only started watching but an interesting date: Completion of civil works is due on March 29th 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

And also of note is that there won't be a single grand opening - links will be opened once they are ready with the whole project completed by March 2024.

Indeed. A lot of the old architecture will have to be demolished to make way for new movements so a phased transition is required.

I think the N8 east to N8 north slip will open soon after Christmas. Probably a few weeks after the new bridge starts to get used. Will just require tie in with the existing M8. This will open up a new access route which will help with temporary traffic rerouting.

the bridge carting the slip from M8 South to the new 4/4 dumbell interchange is also nearly there. Suspect this might get opened in the new year to allow M8 South to Glounthaune movement.

Very possible. And any movement removed from the roundabout itself will allow traffic light sequences to be adjusted and general improvements to flow.

Isn't it that M8 South to N25 East slip will open first, they'll move all the southbound onto the new bridge and move the M8 North carriageway a bit east, allowing the N8 east to M8 North slip get finished? Will be great to see the progress and how they link it all in, my head melts trying to figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

New beams across the western overpass of the roundabout went in last night, awful night weather wise for them to be working.

Those are for the M8 east to N40 south movement I think.

I spent way too long looking at this wondering how the cars were on the road going under the beams. Thought where cars were was towards little island, not the off ramp.

Went under them today, looks class

Short new drone clip of M8 South to N24 east

Post edited by spacetweek on

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OpinionN

I hadn't noticed the gap between the railway bridges of M8 South and the 'new M8 South' until that video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Advertisement