Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listenership figures (JNLRS) just out : Disaster for RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Everybody Up, nobody down, everybody at number 1 etc etc.

Nothing will change!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Darcys numbers are particularly galling, Joe Duffy hands him over 346,000 listeners and immediately 136,000 of them turn off.

I love the RTE explanation by Head of Radio Peter Woods for this

He also insisted he was not concerned about the low figure for D’Arcy’s afternoon show.

“At the minute, I'm not worried about Ray. I think he’s doing very well in the slot. If you look at afternoons right across radio, it looks like there’s a drop-off in the afternoon which I can’t fully account for at the minute,” he said.

Basically he hasnt a clue that Darcy is useless, much head scratching follows.....

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

Darcy on €450k for a radio show with only 210k listeners is an absolute joke and almost no paid advertising on his Slot apart from government advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Expunge

Dan Healy's quotes about the 2FM breakfast show are gas......

"Head of 2fm Dan Healy said it was “another tough book” for the station and “it would be untrue” to say he was happy with its performance.

“We have had two challenging books. We have a new Breakfast Show that started on May 21 and I think that we’re very happy with the show but the JNLR doesn’t show great numbers,” he said.

“No, it would be untrue to say that I'm happy. I’m very happy with the Breakfast Show but I think there will be a challenge to get the audience to start engaging with it. That will be our focus over the next few months, getting more profile around the three of them.”

More profile for the three on that breakfast show over the next few months... that'll do it!

He truly is Comical Ali at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I think if you look back over JNLR releases over the last few years, Dan Healy and 2FM are always saying the same thing. Just about a different schedule or breakfast show each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So Darcy, Joe and Tubs are all down a huge amount of listeners.

Come on RTE, let's stop bluffing your public. Admit these guys earn far too much money for the job and advertising they attract, and renegotiate their contracts.

You have a chance to make a stand here, take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You've only got to listen back (please don't if you don't want to be bored to death) to da live line to see why so many are switching off, whilst not the worst episode of late, there's been some extraordinarily bad shows over the past few months.

I'm actually amazed Scare Byrne down only 29k, absolutely astonishingly bad program, utter tripe and to describe it as a current affairs show is just farcical.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I simply don't believe that Tubridy has 359,000 listeners on Radio 1. I'd reckon like myself there's many a listener who has the morning news on and takes a few minutes to turn off the rubbish that comes on after 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

we changed from today fm to 2fm in the office, its painful until 12.00 as the hosts are awful, but the music is much better than today fm and the hosts are less unbearable after then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I think RTE should relay RTE Gold as it is now, without any changes, during the day on 2FM frequencies and they'd get a bigger listenership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

Agreed, the Jen Zamp show is awful muck altogether, like really, really, really bad..... Then Tracy Clifford comes on and its like night and day. Her tunes are excellent, and she comes across as way more polished and professional. I really dont listen to the show enough, but I'm really impressed when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Any numbers for the cork breakfast shows this book.

The average length of a single Radio Advertisement on rte 1 is getting longer and longer. When there is a couple of these types of adverts before a News Bulletin, I know there is no signifant development on the news, and I switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

Maybe ( probably) I’m just getting old, but I think radio in this country has really gone to crap over the last couple of years. I’ve almost given up on it and tend to stick to Spotify for the majority of the day.

Early breakfast shows are poor- Dempsey is stale and repetitive at this stage

The 2fm mob are awful, and over on Classic, Kennedy and Colin whatever his name is are just unbearable. Dermot and Dave are ok sometimes.

I find Tubridy nauseatingly put-on , and for me that’s a real out-off. I have to awake in a particularly good mood to be able to listen to him at all, and mostly I manage to mentally switch-off as I focus on other things. Occasionally I’m in a particularly spunky mood and will comment in the thread. Liveline thread is what hooked me into Boards in the first place and if I am nearly a radio I will listen in and endure for the sake of the commentary and in the hole if occasional Gold, but not for the reasons RTÉ would care for me to listen.

To me Liveline should be terrific radio, a democratic opportunity for the ordinary person to have their say, but more often totally mishandled by the host in search of the misery & death angle. You won’t get onto the show unless you can relate to suffering or else have a soundbite-worthy angle (eg unusual personality etc). At least Darcy is kind of just his incompetent full enough self, and the fact that he is not so much put-on makes me “tolerate” him the most of the three top-paid, though I don’t actively listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

His name is not Colin - it's Colm Hayes, formerly with FM104, 2FM and Radio Nova, sister station of Classic Hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Your opinions are very widely held amongst the few dozen regulars here. But they do not reflect the listening habits of the general audience as measured. Unless hundreds of thousands of people enjoy inflicting on themselves broadcasts and presenters they hate, day in day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

Thanks!

shows what an impression he’s made on me! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Doireann has 264k followers on Instagram, Carl Mullan has 89k and Donnacha has 62k.

Meanwhile, you've got decent breakfast shows where the presenters have basically no social media presence and they're delivering great content and great JNLR books.

What a disaster for 2FM. I don't know how the show could need more of a profile. I'd say most of the 2FM target audience know it exists. They just don't want to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

Darcy is a woke fecker. I don't want him preaching to me. Tubridy is fake as feck. Very wokey too. Storm rte, it's going to collapse eventually. It's a propaganda service now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Just Some Young Lad

I’m gonna go out on a limb here - it’s probably that the show appeals a lot more to the younger generation. The only issue with that is that the younger generation don’t listen to the radio as much.

”Better” is also subjective. More successful based on listener count might be a better way to describe it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Slightly newbie question but why are they called 'books'?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Because, in former days the research results, appendix, methodology etc. was delivered to the stations who paid for it as a fairly thick book.

These days I'm sure it's delivered as electronic files.

Very good point. This guy Healy seems to get a notion in his head - in this case we need 'talent' with huge social media followings coz' that's where the kids are. That's where his big idea seems to end. There seems to be no talent coaching, production seems to be very poor to me. And the amount of taking going on? Desperate.

2FM is getting it's absolute arse kicked by it's like for like rivals in Dublin and the regions. It seems to be unloved by all. The very continued existence of 2FM must be in question now. (I know this has been said many times one here)

2 Euro 71 cents of every license fee goes to 2FM, according to the 2020 RTE annual report.

(14.04 to Radio 1, 3.62 to Lyric FM and a chunky 8.14 to Radio na Gaeltachta, who's listener numbers are never quoted publicly)

If 2FM ain't making money and there is little by way of Public Service Broadcasting attached to it, is it worth continuing with it on FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Just Some Young Lad

I'll digress from talking about my disdain of the TV license. I think that culturally R Na G should be kept. As much of a sinkhole as it is. 2FM should be done away with and so too should Lyric. Resources should then be shared amongst Radio 1 and R Na G and they shouldn't be seen as separate entities. We only need one national radio station in each language (need is used loosely here).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Okay, you say that you think that Lyric and 2FM "should be done away with." Why so? Interested to hear what your rational here is.

A very basic breakdown can be seen here. https://www.bai.ie/en/latest-jnlr-figures-released-17/

In short, Red wins the younger and Cork 96 the older audiences.

The three highest paid aren’t getting the advertisers’ interest. I don’t know why Dee Forbes makes no attempt to improve these figures, but she is she biting her time to get a very nice pension and into various boards.

• Advertisement

The opposite is actually the case here, RTS. The listenership is there for both RTE Radios 1(especially so) and 2 to take in a lot more commercial revenue but they don't seem to want to hard sell adverts and sponsorship on either of the stations for whatever reasons.

Advertisement