Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Challenge University Vaccine Pass Policy

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be far more interested to know the midwife hasn't rejected one of the fundamental cornerstones of modern disease management, i.e. vaccination.

it's like a driving instructor telling you 'arrah, don't worry about the seatbelt, they're only 90% effective'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

90% effective? Since when?

They do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prevent a car crashing and I certainly will not be wearing one myself. Seat belt laws are satanic fascism and the beginning of a new world order.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If people want to fund them then good luck to them. There is no harm having their claim tested legally ,if they get that far, even if it is ultimately seen as a nuisance case it puts an end to this type of argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Just donated. Cheers for the heads up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

€5! you big spender you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I need stupid people to donate to a gofundme for myself as well. I need a house myself. Where can I find these stupid people donating?

People are stupid. This is not a stand against mandatory vaccines.

I do not believe that the country wants mandatory vaccines.

This is two students looking for money and fame, but have the cause totally wrong. They have already taken vaccines that are mandatory for their course, you cannot argue against mandatory vaccine when you have already taken some 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As a patient, I'm not that worried about what health approach any health practitioner follows for themselves: I don't care if they're vegan, practise Buddhist meditation, anoint themselves with essential oils, etc.

What I care about is that they provide me with appropriate medical care, and ensure that I have the chance to give informed consent to suggested body-changing interventions. And that they are tested to prove they are healthy before working with me - rather than just relying on a vaccine which MAY reduce the severity of illness if they get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,006 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why would you assume that someone, who possibly thinks that covid is made up or no worse than the common cold, is going to bother their arse following other protocols such as social distancing, washing their hands, and reducing their unnecessary contacts.

How would you feel if you had an elderly relative in a nursing home and that home was being staffed by people who couldn't be arsed to get vaccinated because they didn't think it was worth the bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm completely sick of moaning, whinging, self entitled students crying over their perception they've been hard done by during this pandemic. Christ almighty grow up, a recent segment on the awful live line just highlighted how absurd this nonsense has become.

I'm left to wonder is the next generation turning out to be hypochondriac, anxiety consumed , moronic, blittering idiots FFS , try be a student in the 80's/ 90's , like I was, then they'd understand actual Hardship 😡

All of Society has been challenged by the pandemic, if Society as a whole behaved like some students, the country would come to a stand still 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

as per some posts above, this is not a 'students looking for free noodles' thing. i suspect this is more calculated than that, probably some sort of rightwing catholic bodily autonomy lark.

this is one of the two students involved:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Apart from the obvious legal issue of maintenance, the data protection commissioner has already expressed approval in relation to healthcare workers and vaccination, so gdpr is a dead end.

As for the discrimination end of things....i suspect that they are not under any disability that could ground a discrimination case.

So to all the donors, go ahead, waste your money. I think it would be better spent setting cash ablaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Do you or will you ask all the medical staff you are in contact with these questions about following protocols? I'd love to see the reaction you would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

First point, magicbastarder ,this was my thought on reading the GoFundMe header.

Better they go to court so ...no doubt Ronan will be in there all the way with them until they have no more use for him

On the second point , growleaves ,they will not get qualified in the first place so no fear they will be working in any hospital or any other health care situation any time soon ,thankfully .

Who would want an eejit like these two caring for any vulnerable patient never mind work alongside them ( and I mean that in a holistic sense , not just as regards the vaccines !)?

All healthcare workers have to have bcg, tetanus , mmr , or have tested immunity , and in some cases hepatitis vaccines up to date at the very least , so Covid vaccines are totally expected ,for obvious reasons .

Support them by all means ,but they won't be qualifying .This is just another stupid pvsstake by the antivaxx contingent.

No. Because the institutions have policies and rules in place. Do I really have to explain this to you? Surely this is basic stuff? A person would have to be a complete idiot to want to implement a system where such protections which are deemed medically necessary (or at worst, medically expedient) would be optional - resulting in individual patients having to ascertain which staff they were, or were not, able to have safely treating them.

Sometimes I despair at the levels I see on boards.ie. I really do.

Imagine those WOKE articles looking after a critically I’ll relative?😤

All healthcare workers have to have bcg, tetanus , mmr , or have tested immunity , and in some cases hepatitis vaccines up to date at the very least , so Covid vaccines are totally expected ,for obvious reasons .

as i recently learned, there's no BCG vaccine available that's currently licenced for use here, so BCG is not required i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Very few people are living in fear of the unvaccinated, because most people know that they are not causing problems. I went to a hospital appointment last week, I was asked lots of questions in relation to past medical history, any medication I was on etc. Also lots of covid related questions such as if I had symptoms, travelled, in contact with a known case. But was never once asked if I was vaccinated. Why is this? It's because they couldn't care less that's why.

The only people who care are keyboard physicians.

Sure they don't need to ask you. They can tell you aren't vaccinated because all the compass needles in the room don't follow you around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

" or have tested immunity " eg via heaf test / mantoux test.

No bcg since 2015 , but I suspect most people should have immunity in Ireland for at least the next 12 or 13years from prior vaccination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope.

The [BCG] vaccine was discontinued in a region in the South of Ireland (Cork) in 1972. Despite the fact that ....Tuberculosis (TB) is the ninth leading cause of death worldwide and the leading cause from a single infectious agent. 

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6506945/

Returning to Covid-19. People are forgetting one fundamental: the vaccine does NOT stop you getting sick. It most-likely reduces the severity of your symptoms. It may reduce the chance that you get sick - or it may not, they really aren't sure, because reduced symptoms mean that some cases will be missed because the general public do not get routinely tested.

I am not aware that healthcare workers being asked to reduce their contacts or practice any more restrictions than the general public with the same health status. But what they do need to do is get tested very regularly. That, ventilation and their PPE is what keeps vulnerable people in their care safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Some people seem very triggered about what people put into their system. which should be no concern of you or anyone. The feckin neck on some people, bet you wouldn't say that to some ones face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Honestly as someone older than these students myself your comment makes you sound old & cranky. Every generation thinks they had it harder than those behind them. This generation of students have been hugely impacted by Covid. There wasn’t a pandemic in the 80s/90s, certain things were hard but people werent forced to isolate from eachother & that is huge. Younger people are very dependent on their peer group. Of course the oldest & vulnerable had it the hardest but Im sick of turning on the news & seeing different age groups giving out about eachother.

Don’t see this case succeeding though. They seem to have misunderstood the meaning of discrimination.

Perhaps at 54, I am old and cranky 😁, but it would seem to me, not a week has gone by with another "Student Hard Done by Story". I'm not doubting students had challenges but so did the rest of society, the Moan fest started with the Leaving Cert debacle followed by University Students getting in on the act. It's just becoming tiresome. Not a day went by when €9 million was announced for free antigen tests for higher education when students on the airwaves saying they recieved one or were being rationed. I'm no fan of the God awful Simon Harris and I personally believe these tests should be free or subsidised but my point ultimately being the current Student generation seem to find fault with absolutely everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,982 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There is no doubt that, while the people most at risk from Covid are the elderly, the burden of measures designed to prevent the spread of Covid has fallen disproportionately on the young. Sure, everybody has to respect lockdown rules and mask rules and so forth, but the effect of doing so is much greater for young people than for older people - disruption to education will have lifelong consequences, being isolated from your peer group impacts young and single people much more severely than older people, etc. People who are in casual or irregular employment, and/or in jobs that can't be done from home, have been impacted much more than those in permanent jobs that can be done remotely - and those people are disroportionately young. Etc, etc.

In short, what we have seen over the last couple of years is a massive act of intergenerational solidarity, with young people accepting very substantial detriments to their own lives, substantially for the protection and benefit of older people. It would be churlish - and, ironically, selfish and entitled - of older people not to acknowledge this.

This particular challenge to vaccination rules, ironically, is a challenge to rules which will tend to benefit young people, and which do not impose significant detriment on them. The more people who are vaccinated and the more successful vaccination is, the less the need for lockdowns, social distancing, etc. This challenge threatens the welfare both of older people (who are more vulnerable if Covid spreads because people are unvaccinated) and younger people (who are likely to be disproportionately adversely affected by any measure that have to be adopted to slow the spread of Covid).

All excellent points to be fair, I just feel, rightly or wrongly there's been quite an astonishing amount of absurd complaing, from and in particular university student cohort. I've not questioned both young and old have been impacted and I also can understand frustrations after two years of this pandemic.

People are forgetting one fundamental: the vaccine does NOT stop you getting sick. It most-likely reduces the severity of your symptoms.

well, yes, it most likely does considering that the less than 10% of the population who are unvaccinated make up i think a little over 50% of people in ICU.

This has nothing to do with whether you get sick or transmit after vaccination.

They haven't a hope of winning any case against mandatory vaccines, when they have already taken some mandatory vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,480 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

"Returning to Covid-19. People are forgetting one fundamental: the vaccine does NOT stop you getting sick. It most-likely reduces the severity of your symptoms. It may reduce the chance that you get sick - or it may not, they really aren't sure"

Ahh, the findings are published in the study they have hinged their "case" to, it's stated in the summary.

Vaccination reduces the risk of delta variant infection and accelerates viral clearance.

Again, this is the study they want to head to the High Court with.

Advertisement