Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent box reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I decided to take a punt on this. Here's hoping it gets in alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Getting the Mikkeller one myself but they took so long to dispatch(even though I got shipping notification on the 11th) it I'm probably not going to have it until next week.

booooo

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Hadnt ordered one this year but the other half decided I needed one so fair play to her. I got the Martins one this year. Have no idea what in the box and will open it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've looked through the Mikkeller box now and have to say I'm a bit disappointed compared to what was in the box last year. There is a lot of their core range which are available here for €2.50 a can and none of which were included last year. I can post up the list(spoilered) if people are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Blud

Yeah I'd be interested in the list if you have it handy.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong I'm sure I'm going to enjoy 90% of these beers. My disappointment stems from lack of value considering the price and last years box. Looking at the Brewdog advent calendar(Spoilers in case you're getting it) and yeah they have a food few of their cheap core range beers but the cost of the box is significantly less than the Mikkeller.

1. Mikkeller - Limbo Riesling non-alcholic (330ml Bottle 0.3%)

2. Mikkeller - MBCC Anniversary Breakfast Porter (330ml Bottle 7.5%)

3. Mikkeller - Kölsch (500ml Can 4.9% )

4. Mikkeller - Iskold Classic Vienna Lager (330ml Bottle 5.6%)

5. Mikkeller - Side Eyes Pale Ale (330ml Can 4.6% )

6. Mikkeller - Heated Seats Pale Ale (330ml Bottle 4.9%)

7. Mikkeller - Burst IPA (330ml Can 5.5%)

8. Mikkeller - Hallo Ich Bin Berliner Weisse Raspberry (330ml bottle 3.7%)

9. Mikkeller - Drink'in The Snow non-alcholic winter ale (330ml bottle 0.3%)

10. Mikkeller Brewing San Diego - Traeblod Imperial Stout (473ml Can 12%)

11. Mikkeller - Mahrs Bräu Pils (330ml bottle 4.9%)

12. Funky Fluid - DDH HBC 630 Triple NEIPA (500ml Can 9%)

13. Mikkeller - Ghost Visions Game of Thrones range Lager (440ml Can 4.5%)

14. Mikkeller - Spontan Goes Spontan Lambic (375ml Bottle 7.2%)

15. Mikkeller - Doublebock Frederiksdal Cherries (375ml Bottle 9%)

16. Ebeltoft Gårdbryggeri - Jule IPA 2021 (330ml Bottle 6.9%)

17. Mikkeller Brewing San Diego - Mt. Akina Japanese Rice Lager (473ml Can 4.7%)

18. Funky Fluid - Gummy Triple Pastry Sour (500ml Can 7.6%)

19. Mikkeller Brewing San Diego - Mull It Over (473ml Can 5.4%)

20. Mikkeller - Santa's Hoppy Helpers West Coast IPA (330ml Can 6%)

21. Mikkeller - Visions Lager (330ml Can 4.5%)

22. ÅBEN - First Light NEIPA (440ml Can 6%)

23. Mikkeller - Castle Black Game of Thrones range Stout (375ml Bottle 11.3%)

24. Burnt Mill Brewery - Land of Secrets Dry hopped barley wine (440ml Can 10.5%)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Ooh Brewdog one looks interesting. Still haven't been into office to pick up my To-Ol box but glad I went with that rather than Mikkeller (which I got last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I bought the Martins off licence advent box, and have to say that so far it's been a bit of a disappointment. Mostly IPAs, not nearly enough stouts - which I was expecting given the time of year. Last year, I bought the Mother Macs (Limerick) advent box and it was top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 l14masasddadsg

I saw them mention on the beer club page on FB that they would send a gift to anyone who's arrived late.

Edit: just saw the contents of the box, definitely seems a step down from previous years.

So my Spontan arrived (I ordered x 2)

First a box with 2 bottles arrived - a bit concerning, but the following day the other 18 came.

First two were the Spontan goes Spontan, bergamot, barrel aged. Tried one - fcuk me it was challengingly bitter. Too much for me, really.

Second bottle - - oak aged seabuckthorn, was gorgeous. Really nicely balanced, fruity and sour. Looking forward to the rest, now.

• Advertisement

I drank the spontanbergamot last night as well, it goes down nicely but yeah the exceedingly bitter aftertaste just lingers on and on. I liked it initially but it grew tiresome quickly

I couldn't get to love it, at all. I tasted a grapefruit infused Oud Beersel last night and it had the same lingering bitterness, too.

Still, so far, the hop one, the cassis, the seabuckthorn have all been top notch. Really up there with any Lambic. I'm really enjoying this box so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

My box is still sitting in the kitchen unopened. The leanbh arrived the next day and outside of wetting her head with some MVR on the day she was born and having a dram yesterday to celebrate Verstappen's win, I've not had a chance to have a look or have any booze.

I had some of their Spontans last year and they were remarkable. So really looking forward to this alright.

I did have a look through the pantry a couple of weeks back and I've got that bergamot one there as well, so I will be sure to give it a lash anyway over Christmas.

Cheers for this. I can't believe you opened them all in one go. I loved opening them day-by-day last year!

Ha yeah you're right it does kind of defeat the purpose. I would've been the kind of kid sneaking looks at presents under the Christmas tree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

How do I avail of that?

Ordered my Mikkeller box in September and it only arrived on 8th December.

I'm the sort who loves a surprise.

You're doing the Lord's work though being impatient. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 l14masasddadsg

We'd like to offer a Christmas Gift (worth 600-700DKK) to those of you who do not receive your Christmas Calendar on time. (later than 1st of December). If this is you, please contact magnus@mikkeller.dk with your order details.

So I finally opened the Spontan box:

Very daunting looking at it there.

Glad I have a few doubles now so I can crack open a couple tonight watching Jools.

I've really enjoyed mine.

Standout for me was the Cassis, followed by Seabuckthorn.

I'd hold onto the 2021 cherry for 12 months - it's a bit harsh and needs some time.

• Advertisement

I put them altogether with some I had from last years calendar and other pick ups and it seems I have a 2019, 2020 and 2021 Frideriksdal. Which is nice.

I'll take your word and hold onto it for a while yet.

For NYE I opened a Baghaven Pantao White Saturn Cherry from last years advent box and the Bergamo. You weren't wring about the flavour profile of the Bergamo, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

Herself is dying to try the seabuckthorn, so I will crack it open as soon as I conjure up a decent occasion worthy of it.

The Acai one is really interesting, too.

It reminds me a bit of Rodenbach Grand Cru but fruity! I bought that box x 2. Think I've about 2 left from the 20😊

Really enjoyed the To-Ol advent box. I'd be a bit more mainstream and never really enjoyed the Sours/Spontans that were such a large part of the Mikkeller box last year. The To-Ol box had a really nice mix, for me, mostly IPAs, some lagers, some sours and some Imperial Stouts oh and a lovely brown ale. Unfortunately no leaflet came with it, but I'd definitely get it again.

Overall the Mikkeller calendar was disappointing, far too many unremarkable core range beers. The cynic in me says that this advent calendar was put together with the aim offloading unsold stock from the controversial MBCC 2021. Highlight was the MBCC Anniversary Breakfast Porter and I'm not even that big a fan of porters, it was wonderfully rich and chocolatey. It wasn't a disaster but I probably won't be getting it next year

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Blud

I'd agree with that, pretty disappointed overall.

I'd be looking for one with more stouts or dark beers next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I know it's a long way off, but you might let us know what you find towards the end of the year. I'd be looking for a calender/box which mainly consists of stouts and/or dark beers also. Last year I got one from Mother Macs pub in Limerick and it was top class, great range and variety. They didn't do it this year, so I went for Martins Off Licence, which was okay, but mainly IPA-based.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I'd also be interested in that. I got the beercloud one this year and while I can't complain too much based on the price, I was very disappointed with the selection. Not a single stout. Mostly core IPAs, session IPAs, I think two red ales and even a cider for some reason.

The Acai one was in the advent box last year and was the standout for me along wit the Koelsch and some American brew I can't recall right now.

Again, looking forward to the Acai one later this year when the time arises.

Very interesting. I hadn't thought about the MBCC. When I saw the list and compared it to last year it was definitely a massive downturn in quality. I still think I'll grab one next year, but I can only hope it's a return to form.

• Advertisement

Quoting myself here - the To-Ol box is available for pre-order now, 50kr off with discount code nissejuice50 not sure if you have to have ordered before to avail of this discount.

Advertisement