Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent box reviews

Options
  • 02-12-2020 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

A thread to discuss the various Xmas related beer boxes. Hopefully I will remember this next year when deciding what to order!
    I will try to put the price of the beer beside it to compare the value in against the overall cost.

Craft central Advent calendar, cost €130, average of 5.40 per can (excluding any packaging costs).
    1. craft and bru King Nelson, €4.00
    2. hopefully and brew house loosey juicy, €4.25
    3. Wild Beer, Wild IPA, €4.35

If anyone wants to add their boxes and descriptions please feel free

Mods if one of you could put spoilers in the title I would appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Mikkeller's "The Great Mikkeller X-Mas Calendar"

I have no idea how much mine was though as it was a present but I think it was €130.00

I'm terrified of checking the beers' prices in case I rumble myself.
    1. Mikkeller Kölsch (4.9%) Although it's brewed by Privatbraueri Gaffel Becker, Cologne like all Kölsch's. Stunning variety of the genre. Really clean. Could have sat there all night and put a load of them away.
    2. Mikkeller 3Floyds Warpigs Colab Christmas Cruncher DIPA (8%) Lovely fresh and not overly hoppy. So other malty flavours came through.
    3. Mikkeller Spontan Cherry Frederiksdal Sour Ale (7.2%) My favourite flavour and my favourite type non-pils and -stout beer. It's gonna be a good 'un. Will save it for a special occasion.
    4. Mikkeller 3Floyds Warpigs Colab Ginger Bells IPA (6.6%). Unsure how this will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

A thread to discuss the various Xmas related beer boxes. Hopefully I will remember this next year when deciding what to order!
    I will try to put the price of the beer beside it to compare the value in against the overall cost.

Craft central Advent calendar, cost €130, average of 5.40 per can (excluding any packaging costs).
    4. Wylam, I'm not Mary imperial ipa. €9.7
    5. larkins, morrigan, €6.49

If anyone wants to add their boxes and descriptions please feel free

Mods if one of you could put spoilers in the title I would appreciate it

Couldn't edit on the mobile site...

[*] craft and bru King Nelson, €4.00
    [*]hopefully and brew house loosey juicy, €4.25
    [*] Wild Beer, Wild IPA, €4.35
    [*] Wylam, I'm not Mary imperial ipa. €9.7
    [*] larkins, morrigan, €6.49
    [*]whiplash, grisette, €5.49
    [*]Omnipollo, braraba, €5.49

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

[*] craft and bru King Nelson, €4.00
    [*]hopefully and brew house loosey juicy, €4.25
    [*] Wild Beer, Wild IPA, €4.35
    [*] Wylam, I'm not Mary imperial ipa. €9.7
    [*] larkins, morrigan, €6.49
    [*]whiplash, grisette, €5.49
    [*]Omnipollo, braraba, €5.49

So far on a running total of €39.77, giving an average of €5.68 per can (ex. P&P).

Mikkeller's "The Great Mikkeller X-Mas Calendar" (€130.00)
    1. Mikkeller Kölsch (4.9%) Although it's brewed by Privatbraueri Gaffel Becker, Cologne like all Kölsch's. Stunning variety of the genre. Really clean. Could have sat there all night and put a load of them away.
    2. Mikkeller 3Floyds Warpigs Colab Christmas Cruncher DIPA (8%) Lovely fresh and not overly hoppy. So other malty flavours came through.
    3. Mikkeller Spontan Cherry Frederiksdal Sour Ale (7.2%) My favourite flavour and my favourite type non-pils and -stout beer. It's gonna be a good 'un. Will save it for a special occasion.
    4. Mikkeller 3Floyds Warpigs Colab Ginger Bells IPA (6.6%) Unsure how this will go. Only having this tonight (08/12) after Guinness got the better of me at the weekend. Will report back.
    5. Verdant Brewing Citra DIPA (8%) This will be saved for the weekend at that ABV.
    6. Mikkeller Frederiksdal Cherry Berliner (5%) Another one to add to the save for later list. But again, top-notch from Mikkeller.
    7. Hop Hooligans Shock Therapy IPA Version 27 (Strata, Cashmere, Nelson Sauvin) (6.5%) Will be having this tonight. Looking forward to it. We shall see how it shapes up.
    8. Mikkeller Brewing San Diego 'Deep Pool Sea' Gose-style Ale w/ Passion Fruit, Raspberry and Sea Salt (4.7%) A ridiculously on-brand selection for me. I am dying to taste this. Roll on Christmas week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Beerclub.ie (€99)

Beerclub Day 1 ; O'Haras Barrel aged Leann Follain 7.15
    Beerclub Day 2 : Tastes Like Sumt'n from Crafty Bear Brewing 2.99
    Beerclub Day 3 : Grevensteiner Helles 2.59
    Beerclub Day 4 :Dublin City Brewing Co Renegade Red Ale 3.49
    Beerclub Day 5: Modestbeer Sabro Pale Ale! 2.39
    Beerclub Day 6 : Brehon Blonde from Brehon Brewery 3.49
    Beerclub Day 7 : Mayfield 5 Pilsner by Cottonball brewery 3.89
    Beerclub Day 8 : Ballykilcavan Babbricks Brown Ale love this beer 3.79

Total so far : 29.78

Mikkeller's "The Great Mikkeller X-Mas Calendar" (€130.00)
    4. Mikkeller 3Floyds Warpigs Colab Ginger Bells IPA (6.6%) Unsure how this will go. Only having this tonight (08/12) after Guinness got the better of me at the weekend. Will report back.
    5. Verdant Brewing Citra DIPA (8%) This will be saved for the weekend at that ABV.
    6. Mikkeller Frederiksdal Cherry Berliner (5%) Another one to add to the save for later list. But again, top-notch from Mikkeller.
    7. Hop Hooligans Shock Therapy IPA Version 27 (Strata, Cashmere, Nelson Sauvin) (6.5%) Will be having this tonight. Looking forward to it. We shall see how it shapes up.
    8. Mikkeller Brewing San Diego 'Deep Pool Sea' Gose-style Ale w/ Passion Fruit, Raspberry and Sea Salt (4.7%) A ridiculously on-brand selection for me. I am dying to taste this. Roll on Christmas week.
    9. Mikkeller Resting Brew Face Imperial New England Style IPA (9.0%) A fairly hefty one this. But given, it seems I'm going nowhere for the foreseeable, I will be indulging this one this week with some gusto.
    10. Mikkeller Xmas Wish Gluten Free IPA (5.5%)
    11. Mikkeller Spontanacai Sour Ale (7.7%) This is a sour ale brewed with Acai and ages in Oak Barrels. Again, I'm a sucker for sour ales so this is definitely going into the special occasion pile.
    12. Mikkeller Kaffestout (6%) Another one I am very much looking forward to. will go nicely paired with one of the Galway Bay specials.
    13. Verdant Combined Whimsy Pale Ale (4.7%)
    14. Mikkeller Nelson Sauvin Belgian Wild Ale (9%) Another hefty one, but again Mikkeller coming up trumps with a Belgian wild ale aged in Chardonnay Barrels. This one will be kept up. Can't see how I'm going to fit it in given I still have days 15-22 to open!

Mikkeller's "The Great Mikkeller X-Mas Calendar" (€136.00)
    1. Mikkeller Kölsch (4.9%) €4.00 Although it's brewed by Privatbraueri Gaffel Becker, Cologne like all Kölsch's. Stunning variety of the genre. Really clean. Could have sat there all night and put a load of them away.
    4. Mikkeller 3Floyds Warpigs Colab Ginger Bells IPA (6.6%) Unsure how this will go. Only having this tonight (08/12) after Guinness got the better of me at the weekend. I like Ginger as a flavour, but this was a struggle for me. Really tough flavour components. Only managed half of it before the sink intervened. Terrible beer. Can't win em all I guess.
    7. Hop Hooligans Shock Therapy IPA Version 27 (Strata, Cashmere, Nelson Sauvin) (6.5%) This wasn't bad at all, from what I recall. But it was 08/12 when I had it so, there's that. :)
    8. Mikkeller Brewing San Diego 'Deep Pool Sea' Gose-style Ale w/ Passion Fruit, Raspberry and Sea Salt (4.7%) A ridiculously on-brand selection for me. Absolutely gorgeous. Looking forward to part two tonight.
    9. Mikkeller Resting Brew Face Imperial New England Style IPA (9.0%) A fairly hefty one this. But given, it seems I'm going nowhere for the foreseeable, I will be indulging in this tonight to ring in the end of this most poxy of years.
    10. Mikkeller Xmas Wish Gluten Free IPA (5.5%) Lovely Aley maltiness to this. Wasn't expecting it to be so dark. Very nice.
    11. Mikkeller Spontanacai Sour Ale (7.7%) This is a sour ale brewed with Acai and ages in Oak Barrels. Again, I'm a sucker for sour ales so this is definitely going into the special occasion pile.
    12. Mikkeller Kaffestout (6%) Another one I am very much looking forward to. will go nicely paired with one of the Galway Bay specials.
    13. Verdant Combined Whimsy Pale Ale (4.7%) This was a surprise. Lovely and crisp. Not overly hoppy. It let the beer do the talking without hiding behind hoppiness. Very nice.
    14. Mikkeller Nelson Sauvin Belgian Wild Ale (9%) Another hefty one, but again Mikkeller coming up trumps with a Belgian wild ale aged in Chardonnay Barrels. This one will be kept up.
    15. Mikkeller Brewing San Diego 'Passion Pool' Gose-style Ale w/ Passion Fruit and Sea Salt (4.7%) A ridiculously on-brand selection for me. Will probably dip into this tonight. Especially seeing as how lovely the previous one was.
    16. Mikkeller Iskold Classic Vienna Lager (5%) Tasty malty ale. Perfect after a Whiskey-heavy Christmas day.
    17. Mikkeller Riesling People New England Style Hazy IPA brewed with Riesling juice from Mikkeller Vineyards (5.5%) This was glorious. Had that lovely Geuze-y tang off it, and again, its hoppiness was muted. Just up my alley.
    18. Mikkeller Boon Colab Goût Americain Oude Geuze (6.5%) I mean, it's the box that keeps on giving. Again, another one that will be put up for post-lockdown/dry-January enjoyment.
    19. Åben Bryg Stolen Fruit Pineapple Berliner Weisse (5.4%) €5.59 This one has gone straight into the fridge for tonight. Will update.
    20. Mikkeller Brewing San Diego Imperial Stout with Coffee, Cocoa Nibs, Peanut Butter Flavour (11.8%) Again, will be kept up, but that is a hefty one to look forward to in February
    21. Mikkeller Session IPA Polar Swedish Beer (3.5%) Another one for tonight. Will update.
    22. Mikkeller Double Bock brewed with Frederiksdal Cherries (9%) Cherries! You will always win with cherries!
    23. Mikkeller Spontan Goes Spontan Sour Ale brewed with Bergamot & Aged in Oak Barrels (7.2%) €9.99 What can one say? It just keeps going...
    24. Mikkeller Baghaven Pántáo Blend 2 Chardonnay Barrel fermented Danish Wild Ale aged on white Saturn peaches (7.5%) €18.42 Now that's how you end a box.

---

I think without doubt that this was a winner from start to finish. As regards value, I think it's not even in doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Might look out for that Mikkeller next year

Update to the Craft Central:
    4. Wylam, I'm not Mary imperial ipa. €9.7
    5. larkins, morrigan, €6.49
    6. whiplash, grisette, €5.49
    7. Omnipollo, braraba, €5.49
    8. Galway Bay - Oregon Grown Vol. 3 Black IPA 440ml, €4.99
    9. Brewdog & Cloudwater - New England IPA 440ml, €5.99
    10. Garage - Shallows Hazy Double IPA 440ml Can 8.8% ABV, €7.75
    11. Eight Degrees - Black Ball Barrel Aged Imperial Stout 440ml Can 11.2% ABV, €5.99
    12. O Brother - Bat Country Triple IPA 440ml Can 10.4% ABV, €6.49
    13. Ballykilcavan - Clancy's Cans #3 Tiramisu Dessert Stout 440ml Can 7.8% ABV, €4.25
    14. Trouble Brewing - DiDi New England Pale Ale 440ml Can 4.7% ABV, €3.50 (approx, not on site)
    15. Kinnegar - Brewers At Play No. 11 Sour Cherry Sour 440ml Can 4.8% ABV, €3.30 (approx, not on site)
    16. Wylam - Macchiato Hazelnut Praline Coffee Porter 440ml Can 6.5% ABV, €6.99
    17. (Not sure, from untapped history) Lacada, East the Beast, €4.50 (approc, not on the site)
    18. The White Hag - Black Boar - Imperial Oatmeal Stout 330ml Can 10.2% ABV, €4.75
    19. Dot Brew & BRÚ - Well Rounded Individual Barrel Aged Blend 330ml Can 7.25% ABV, €6.49
    20. Lervig - Smooth Talker Nitro Mango Passionfruit Sour Pale 440ml Can 6% ABV, €6.75
    21. Oskar Blues, Can O'Bliss Resinous IPA, €3.49 (Can't find on site now)
    22. Not sure if correct date: Northern Monk, Patron's Project 14.06, Fingathing//Can of Whup Ass, €7.49
    23. TBD
    24. To Ol, Cryo Out Load,Triple IPA, €9.35

I was lax in updating this and have not all the details. Thanks to Basq in the 'supporting craft breweries' for filling in some of the details I had missed. If anyone has the remaining please let me know. I had a look on the twitter machine but they only had some of the entries.

Total cost of the beers individually (from what I have and where beers were not on the craft central site, from other websites): €132, with an average cost of €5.73

The package was €130 for 24 beers so the package was slightly better value than buying individually, but having styles you wouldn't normally like or dislike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Didn't want to start a new thread:

Has anyone spotted any 2021 advent calendars released yet?

Brewdog only shipping within UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭adaminho

Cheers.

I'm in their monthly club, so I'd expect a lot of the same beers.

Think I'll look further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

@BonnieSituation I'm thinking of getting the Mikkeller advent box, it's discounted at an early bird price at the moment. Any idea if there will be hassle getting it shipped to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

Saw this when googling. I like Martin's for 30 years plus but know nothing about this.

https://martinsofflicence.ie/products/martins-advent-craft-beer-box-2021-madvent

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

I never had an issue with Mikkeller shipping to Ireland - I got the advent box last year and had had beer club membership for about 18 months too - however it is a risk. Box had a nice mix but having been a beer club member I had had a good few of the beers beforehand.

Grand, I stuck in an order, will cross my fingers. I'm never really that bothered by Irish advent boxes as it all stuff that is generally available here so I'd rather just buy what I'd think I'd like individually

Howdy.

Nope, it landed without a hitch last year.

Ordered mine as soon as I got the email during the week.

Not getting caught out like I did last year - leaving it too late.

To Ol have announced their advent pack - think i'll get it this year instead of the Mikkeller, bit cheaper too.

PRE-ORDER OFFER

Pre-Orders are open for the To Øl Xmas Advent Calander! 24 To Øl beers ranging all the way from sour, fruity, sweet, heavy, funky to absolutely bloody delicious! 

With a beery surprise for every day of Advent, it's perfect for welcoming and cherishing the mooost wonderful time for a beer! 

Use the code nissejuice50 for 50 kr off the pre-order period. 

Pre-Order offer is for October Only

To Øl Club members can use the code clublife150 for 150 kr off, until sold out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Northpole

Why Advent beer boxes?

Do you drink different beers in Advent?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I guess it people just trying to bring a bit of the childhood joy of Christmas into adulthood. Also, it's a good way to try styles and beers that you might not normally buy.

They aren't for me, though, mainly because there are too many styles of beer out there that I just don't like - even from producers that I really like.

And I'm a bit of a grinch!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There's also a social side. I'm not a buyer either, but I like seeing the comments here on what comes out of the box -- that's something you only get when a group of people are drinking the same beer at the same time.

My Mikkeller advent box shipped today.

To hell with the Grinches!

My ToOl box arrived in work today, but I'm not due into the office until Thursday and thats dependent on Cabinet Decision tomorrow on whether we'll switch to working from home. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Christmas-themed White Hag boxes don't really count as advent boxes, but I've ordered one anyway!

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I almost bought the Martins one, then figured there would just be too many that I wouldn't really be into. So I'm stocking up on stuff I do like for Christmas instead.

But also, there's a bunch of Pointy Shoes and barrel aged Black Boar in Martins at the moment, which I assume is left overs from the advent boxes.

Mikkeller box arrived today, had a peak at the first few, looks promising

I didn't realise herself was waiting around to order the Mikkeller box and managed to miss the boat. :(

It is ABSOLUTELY worth it. I guess I'll take the year off so.

Got the Spontan 5+5 to make up for the disappointment!

https://shop.mikkeller.dk/collections/mixed-cases/products/mikkeller-spontan-pack-7-buy-5-get-5-free

Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Got my Mikkeller too. Day 1, non-alcoholic. Raging!

Looking forward to this a lot.

Advertisement