Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First olympic transgender athlete to compete at Tokyo 2020 **MOD NOTE IN OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

'MY answer though, is that I don’t know - I don’t share their confidence in the answer they just pulled out of their arse'

Poster doesn't know if, on average, men are stronger then women. Deary, deary me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Funnily enough, if we go back through the thread far enough, we can get your previous answer (in a round about way then as well :):

astrofool:

So you're purely focused on the fairness and equality aspect rather than the science of sport aspect, fair enough.

The reason I started replying was because you started building your argument on there being no gender differences, this is patently untrue and easily provable, I don't expect further posts trying to compare genders in such ways as you have already conceded this point.

One eyed Jack:

I get where you’re coming from, but no, that’s not where I was coming from. I certainly never made the argument you think I was making. I know there are differences based upon all sorts of factors, not just gender or sex. I also wouldn’t argue certainties on the basis of a lack of data with an abundance of data which addresses a different question entirely. That’s something I’d expect John Money to do, and we know the outcomes of his experiments regarding gender and sex which are still negatively influencing science and medicine today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t suppose you’d care to explain what you’re seeing there that I’m not? Your suggestion that you have my answer in a roundabout way to the question of whether men are stronger than women in the vast majority of cases is like me saying that I know someone is a woman because they have long hair. It’s a safe assumption which works out in the vast majority of cases, but there was that one case where I was wrong.

He was fine about it, thankfully 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The reason I started replying was because you started building your argument on there being no gender differences

I get where you’re coming from, but no, that’s not where I was coming from.

No wiggling! 😂

Honestly I’m not wiggling, it just seems to me that you thought I was making an argument I wasn’t. I know there are differences between the genders (or sex, either way as far as I’m concerned it’s binary on both counts, I don’t subscribe to the notion of a third sex or non-binary, etc). That’s why I said I get where you’re coming from - I can’t even remember the context but I do always try and see where other people are coming from and allow for the fact that we just don’t see something the same way. I know I pick things up wrong, and I know I get picked up wrong, but it’s only irritating when I know they’re doing it on purpose.

Take for example I figure from what I know of you that you have some sort of a background in science. I know for a fact that there are other posters here who do, because they’ve said so. When those posters come out with something which they have to know is misleading, because they couldn’t possibly not know - that’s annoying. The most common misleading statement is the perceived relationship between behaviour and biology to promote the idea of “male violence”. Are men violent as a consequence of biology? There’s just no relationship between the two concepts in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

@One eyed Jack , I'll get this one...

historically women have been prevented from participating, discouraged from participating, not been given the supports and training, suitable to their needs but equivalent to what males have been getting... we just need to encourage more women to participate at all levels, and help them in doing so... by letting men compete against them...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

I might as well step onto the treadmill for a bit of pointless pointing out the nonsense in OEJ's word salads. There is just so much complete and utter tripe in the above post that its hard to resist (hard to resist countering, not hard to resist a tripe word salad)

Firstly, there is over a century's worth of billions of data points to conclusively show that in any sport where human speed or strength plays a notable role, men totally outperform women at the same level. The fact that you think there is no data to support this, or that there is any doubt about it, says a lot more about your knowledge, and ability to understand data, than it does about anything else. It's risible.

Secondly, your claim that women's support will always be looked on as inferior to men's sport also reflects a lot more about your bias than any relationship to reality. There are many sports where the male and female events are held in equal regard, viewed with equal enthusiasm, and are equally chased and covered by broadcasters, and rewarded equally financially in general. Athletics (The most prestigious sport in the biggest sporting event in the globe, the Olympics) and Tennis are two that spring to mind immediately. Indeed there are some sports where the female events tend to get bigger coverage than the men's equivalent. Gymnastics is one that immediately springs to mind there. So your unbelievably sexist biased theory is a load of bull in reality. Again, it's risible.

In fairness, it's one hell of an effort you're putting in OEJ. You've convinced no one, you don't seem to have garnered a single thanks for any of your posts this week, and yet you plough on piling out piles of word salads about a subject you clearly have very little knowledge or understanding of. Oddly enough that kind of determination would see you do well in a lot of sports.

Enduro are you familiar with the expression “hurler on the ditch”?

Don’t do yourself an injury on my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

Well, that's an even more risible response You're lowering your standards. I actually have no idea whatsoever what point you're trying to make. Are you saying that you are a "hurler on the ditch"?

• Advertisement

Can I just ask for clarification.

Without an essay-style answer: do you think women and men should perform together at weightlifting and boxing competitions?

I might be half blind eskimo, but even I can see that one coming a mile off 🙄

You’re not looking for clarification, you’re looking for approval and validation from your next “gotcha!”, which is fine, you do you and all that - if you think they shouldn’t, then you should work towards that goal.

I can’t see you having the stamina for it myself to go the distance, but you could yet prove me wrong.

So you're unwilling to answer the question.

Fine, that's your right - an error in my view, but your right nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Seriously don't bother trying to interact with that poster. Just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Oh look, it's not all rainbows and unicorns on the UPenn swim team and it wasn't just me "projecting" after all. No one who understands the work these athletes have put in, for pretty much their entire lives, to get where they are, could think they would feel any other way. I'm not sure some people get that.

The second anonymous swimmer to speak out over Thomas’ performance has said Penn swimmers were upset and crying as they knew their times were going to be obliterated by her.    

‘They feel so discouraged because no matter how much work they put in it, they’re going to lose. Usually, they can get behind the blocks and know they out-trained all their competitors and they’re going to win and give it all they’ve got,’ the source said to Outkick.

A second anonymous female UPenn swimmer said she and other teammates have discussed their frustration with Thomas’ (right) place on their team with coach Mike Schnur (left) but said he ‘just likes winning’ 

‘Now they’re having to go behind the blocks knowing no matter what, they do not have the chance to win. I think that it’s really getting to everyone.

‘Usually everyone claps, everyone is yelling and cheering when someone wins a race. Lia touched the wall and it was just silent in there. When fellow Penn swimmer Anna Kalandadze finished second, the crowd erupted in applause.’

Why do ye care what he says. Just because you call out the obvious BS doesn't mean they will stop. That you keep engaging them even at this late stage, just encourages them all the more.

If you ignore them they'll probably post an even more outlandish/easy to refute post just to lure you back in. Their follow up response will be a long winded, meandering that they'll get a kick out of you using your time to read.

Best to discuss around them.

You’re right ceadaoin, it’s not just you projecting, it’s this guy and all with the anonymous callers to his radio show -

About as much credibility as Jussie Smullet.

To your credit though, at least you did provide a link, which were using the Daily Mail as their source, who were using Outkicked as their source, who were using three anonymous callers out of a team of…looks like… ohh I lost count, terrible at basic arithmetic, but I know you like the pictures -

(my gawd if that isn’t a “where’s Wally?” photo! 😂)

In any case, or since their case was dismissed rather, I hear the ADF have some free time on their calendar -

• Subscribers Posts: 41,220 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I don’t mind answering the question, I do mind the limitations you set on how I answered the question. You’re not entitled to the answer you want when you’re putting a question to me that doesn’t in any way relate to anything I’ve ever said. At no point, ever, and you can draft in an army of Inspector Clueless’ to go back through my post history if you like, have I ever said that I wanted women and men to perform together at boxing and weightlifting competitions. What I HAVE said, consistently, is that there should be no discrimination on the basis of sex, in any sport, thereby recognising anyones right to participate in any sport they wish, regardless of their sex.

You should be familiar with the concept, marriage equality extended the legal right to enter into marriage in Ireland to all couples without discrimination as to their sex. I remember it well because it was the only time I was ever rude to a priest when he tried to shove a pamphlet into my hand at mass and I told him in no uncertain terms shove it up his hole. My confidant of 15 years tried to humiliate me into submission in front of the whole congregation, and I was just having none of it.

It was fine though because most of the congregation didn’t have a word of English, they were all Filipino, Brazilian and Polish immigrants, and I know how much you love immigrants. How do I know they were all immigrants? Because I had to fight with the nose wrinkling twats on the Board of Management to get their children into the same school as my son. The twats on the BOM didn’t care much for childrens right to education.

The thing you don’t seem to get is that discrimination comes from attempting to deny people the same rights and freedoms as everyone else. When everyone has the same rights, and is actually regarded as having equal status in law, then they don’t have to concern themselves with kissing anyones arse and hoping people will be gracious enough to allow them to participate as equals in society.

At no point, ever, and you can draft in an army of Inspector Clueless’ to go back through my post history if you like, have I ever said that I wanted women and men to perform together at boxing and weightlifting competitions. What I HAVE said, consistently, is that there should be no discrimination on the basis of sex, in any sport, thereby recognising anyones right to participate in any sport they wish, regardless of their sex.

So, you're having it both ways really.

By admitting you wouldn't want men and women to compete together, you're also conceding that there are enormous differences between the sexes - sufficient to warrant divisions based on sex.

Then you argue, but what if a single woman actively wants to compete with the men's division? Tough; the fact that 99.9% of the division will always remain men does not an argument make that a single woman, or a handful of women over a decade, should be allowed to join.

The division is as perfect as it needs to be to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Lol.

I didn’t even need to zoom in on the picture to pick out the Wally-[(ette)?].

This transgender competition thing is so unfair to born females. Transgender males and females should compete against each other regardless of their sex attribution. Then, let them complain about how unfair the stakes are in the new iteration male vs female debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I had to laugh at the 'wheres Wally' comment in the above photo. As above, there should be a separate 'trans' category for athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

It's completely unfair to natal women. I find it hard to understand how it's been allowed come to this stage where records are being broken that presumably natal women won't ever break again. What kind of incentive does that create for girls to take up sport? But, then you see that comment about the coach who "just likes winning". Maybe he gets paid performance bonuses as well?

Aghhh!

How can you possibly imagine a coach not having the girls’ best interests at heart? Lawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's it, leaving it as it currently is will only discourage biological women from competing. No doubt there are girls out there involved in some kind of sport, seeing these kinds of things happening, and deciding to just not bother. Why would they, when no matter how hard they work or dedicate to their sport, they can be beaten by someone who decided that they're a women now. It's totally unfair and is causing soon to be irreparable damage to womens sport.

Yes, and otoh, you might think a newly minted female like Lia Thomas might not have the graceful physique that characterizes most natal females in disciplines like gymnastics or figure skating. Then, barring advantages in power from natal males, you might have complaints of unequal treatment by newly minted ones if performances are based on finesse rather than speed or strength. Good times for the lawyerly types up ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, no kidding, that OMG pitch. Lol

After seeing this, I can see it happening more clearly now. Some shapely dudette doing the dreaded triple somersault which is impossible for a regular gurrrl, thrashing all the would be Nadia Comanecis of the 21st century.

Grace + extra strength: it needs balls, or maybe not. I don’t know, I’m confused.

Post edited by Kaybaykwah on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I linked to that video before either in this thread or another. There's another video with the girl on the right in a gym, with aspiring high level gymnastics girls, trying to do men's gymnastics, and struggling.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. Did someone predict he'd post an outrageous post to encourage engagement ? 😂 Hook, Line and Sinker 😋

Advertisement