Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive antigen test & negative Pcr result.

Options
  • 10-12-2021 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭

If someone had a positive antigen test but a negative pcr result would you trust the negative result or ever would you think?

I think I’d look for another pcr, wouldn’t be comfortable interacting with people, as I’d doubt the negative result.

what would you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I had a negative PCR on a Thursday. I took 2 antigen tests on the following Monday both had a faint second line that apparently means positive. The following day i took another Antigen ( different brand) it was negative. Took another one the following morning and it was also negative. Took a PCR the following day and it was negative. I had no symptoms whatsoever. Quite strange.

So they were either false positives or i was exposed to the virus ( breathed it in at some stage) and because i have had the 3 shots the virus didn’t last too long in my system.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Your theory is interesting. Makes sense…. In as much as anything Covid makes sense. I’m glad you weren’t sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

If your dosed and no symptoms drive on what’s the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Wouldn’t like to think it could be passed on to others. They mightn’t be fully vaxxed and May get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Why are you taking antigens and going for PCRs with "no symptoms whatsoever". Unless I'm missing something obvious, that seems quite strange to me. Not that you tested negative when you weren't sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The PCR is definitive diagnosis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I had some antigen tests, someone had them spare and gave them to me. I was curious to see how they work and i tried one. . Not to mention my line of work is high risk of catching it. My first PCR was because i was travelling.

I had zero symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 greenblue22

This has happened twice in our house. My son had been exposed to covid & didn’t look well/had a headache. Did an antigen it was positive. Waited two days for pcr, at this stage he was feeling better he got a negative. Repeated pcr on advice of nurse who said it was extremely rare. It was also negative. He had a pcr a week prior & that was negative so it wasn’t the case he was at the tail end.

I had sinus symptoms took an antigen it was positive, took another an hour later (different brand) & it was negative. Took a few more & a pcr all negative.

• Administrators Posts: 13,769 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Positive antigen +negative PCR seems to be quite common. I personally know 3 people who it happened to. I’d trust the PCR over the antigen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

PCR is far more reliable than antigen tests.

Antigen tests can produce a lot of false negative results, due to an insufficient viral load or performing the test incorrectly.

They are also prone to interferences. Acidity can cause false positives e.g. coffee, soft drinks, citrus fruits. Anyone who has had to have an antigen test for travel lately may have been asked if you've eaten, drank, smoked or used chewing gum in the 30 mins prior to your test.

Antigen tests have a lot of limitations that people don't realise. You should not use a a positive result to assume you have the virus, and a negative result doesn't rule it out either.

Advertisement