Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Guardian tells us that Christmas is saved by "rightwing politicians"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Cordell

Christmas is inclusive, everyone is invited, everyone can have a Christmas Tree and Santa visit and all that stuff that makes it beautiful. The push, which is as real as it can be, is to strip it clean of its Christian origins, it's religious meaning to Christians and its name - all these won't make it inclusive, persons of any religion can enjoy the non-religious parts of Christmas and just ignore it's religious meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Not quite. The European Commissioner for Equality published guidance advising officials to use "holiday season" instead of Christmas. Just because they had to reverse ferret does not make this a nothing story. In addition, there is no reason to expect this agenda is dead; the Peter Sutherland reference indicates it has staying power.

(Just to state the obvious, there is no essential incongruity between being proud of your national heritage and being welcoming to new peoples.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

yeah but you need to go back further than someone saying "Happy Holidays"..

I suppose there is a bit of a point there - the "Christ" in "Christmas" is probably the only clue that this was once a Christian holiday and by saying happy holidays we are taking away the last Christian thing about it.

regardless - no one is in reality "pushing" for this.

you are going to have to help me out here with what I didn’t understand.

it’s true that I haven’t seen the original speech in French which I can read well enough, but the report isn’t only from the telegraph. Any you have the link (apparently) so link.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Maybe right wing politicians the world over should focus first on applying the values of Christian origins to Christianity instead of the regressive, self centered, careless version of the religion they display in their words and actions on a daily basis. Whether it is talking about the sanctity of life while arguing against the right to have an abortion as they vehemently oppose gun control legislation which might help prevent mass shootings. Or demanding free will when it comes to vaccines and asks while opposing same sex marriage Or being opposed to the idea of rescuing people at risk of drowning in the middle of the English channel while talking about being compassionate, they sure like to pick which battles need to be fought in the name of religion and which don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes they should do all that. Them and I don't share a lot of these values but I still appreciate their push back against the delusional left - but that doesn't mean I have any love for the hard right. You can support the nuclear family as the building block of the society and the ideal environment to raise kids in while still supporting the right of people to marry whoever they choose. You can support the life of the unborn while still giving the women the ultimate right to make that decision. You can rescue the people from the water and still be putting them immediately on their flight back home.

You see, most right wingers are not they monsters you think they are.

I think we differ as to what percentage of right wingers are more comfortable with the points I outlined than are not. No doubt there are extremists on both sides of the conversation, but left wing extremists want to help as many people as possible, right wing.... don't. That for me is a fundamental difference in the ideologies of both sides of the political coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No doubt there are extremists on both sides of the conversation, but left wing extremists want to help as many people as possible, right wing.... don't.

Ahh now TMH, that speaks more to your own bias than anything objective it says about either right or left. In reality they both have their own ways of going about helping everyone and trying to shape society and so on, always in ways which are aligned with their own ideological beliefs.

I’m right-leaning conservative where many of my friends are left-leaning liberal, we both have our own ideas for the kind of society we want for future generations. There’s much more we agree on than the things we fundamentally disagree on, and we all want to help as many people as possible.

None of us have much time for shìt-stirrers who claim to be right-leaning conservative or left-leaning liberal, playing the victim and pointing fingers, stirring up division and festering hatred to generate clicks which generates revenue which perpetuates the idea of doing things out of sheer spite just to get a rise out of others and then sneer at them citing Ben frickin’ Shapiro’s “facts over feelings” or Stephen Fry’s offence quote, both of which are always a good indication of a persons intellectual capacity.

I put a long post in the 'Abortion in America' thread I think it was pointing out the, in my view, the fallacy of the 'two sides' argument. Feel free to dig it out and respond to it, I've asked others to do so but no one as yet has done so.

As I said, I've no problem with acknowledging that there are extremists, and there are many wolves in sheeps clothing on the left side of the debate, not to mention opportunists and blinkered views etc etc. But, fundamentally, right ideals prioritise that of the individual and less regulation over that of society and shared agreements and understanding. I can see the arguments for the former, but as the world becomes more and more populated, and integrated, the need for the latter is more and more the case.

No different than living on your own and being able to wash dishes when you want and what volume to have the TV at etc versus living with housemates and acting with your housemates in mind as well as your own.*

• It's way more complex than that, but, I'm sure you get the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

The person who posted this thought this was some sort of directive to stop people in general from talking about Christmas. Rather than a draft document (withdrawn) from someone in the EU about people in that EU department using inclusive language.

Complete horsefeathers. Typical imported culture war bullshit. Troll farms in Russia are doing great business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,194 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Or they did know that but thought it would be great for stirring shít up anyway. I know which my money would be on.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Foreign gods, eh!!! We'll have none of that middle eastern nonsense, thanks very much!!!

Proof that Jesus was Irish:

• He lived with his parents until he was 33.
    • He never got married.
    • He spent his last night alive out on the lash with the lads.
    • His last request was for a drink.
    • He thought his mother was a virgin.
    • His mother thought he was god.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

Xmas isn't the only celebration during December so saying "Happy Holidays" covers everyone.

But it seems a certain percentage of christians love to feel persecuted that their particular holiday isn't no1 or the most important.

Yeah, the same ones who tiresomely go on about "the real meaning of Christmas" ignoring that (a) they basically stole a midwinter festival which had been there for thousands of years (b) they are not arbiters of who is allowed to celebrate what, or in what way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Surinamo

edit

Post edited by Surinamo on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Xmas?

"A certain percentage of Christians"

I'd bet my house, you would bend over backwards to say Happy Hanukkah to a Jewish person, rather than happy holidays, too show people how great you think you are.

And yet you have self appointed yourself as an arbiter, of who can and who can't celebrate Christmas.

Is anybody else getting tired of this anti white, anti Christian bile. That has been allowed flourish here?

Minor event within the European commission. Bit silly overall but not anti Christian. And anti white? Erm no... So basically, it was an internal recommendation that was never going to impact your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It is the most important in Ireland ,see how you get on claiming Christmas is equally important to Ramadan in the middle east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Surely the point is that you celebrate whatever you want and not have to worry about the offense of others, who should not really be offended by someone else celebrating their chosen holiday. My happiness should not offend you.

didn't realise you spoke for Ireland?

Also, i love the implication that non-christians in Ireland should be thankful that christians don`t go around executing people for not believing in their brand anymore, unlike the more extremist elements in the popular middle eastern religions of today.

its whataboutery

if one is secure in their religion, it shouldn't matter that someone else critiques it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Can't - To be tired of it, one would have to agree that that is the case.

I speak for the average Irish person a lot more than you do I'd wager

it comes across as sour grapes that your religion doesn't have the same importance to people anymore.

I don't have any religion, haven't done for twenty years, however a culture usually has a foremost religion

just because a culture has historically subscribed to a certain religion, doesn't mean it has to continue to do so and doesn't mean that religion has any rights over anything else.

Irish people generally like the social aspect of religious holidays but the number of Irish people who take the religious part seriously is a lot smaller imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 whiskersmcgee

The biased discrimination against European culture is precisely the end result of allowing other cultures to set up their culture within ours.

This "Christmas" thing is yet another in a long line of such things. It's not particularly important, but this is the principle of death by a thousand cuts. It's just another cut.

No bashing of anyone, it's simply cause and effect.

If there were legions of central Americans having set up shop within the middle East and were campaigning against middle eastern culture, you'd say "that's crap, but it's fair because it's happening here too."

But it isn't happening anywhere else, it isn't happening to any other culture or people (perhaps the uighur in China, but that's actual genocide).

So it isn't fair, or equal. And what we'll be left with is zero culture. We will have a non-culture, a vacuum. People of nothing, for nothing.

Meanwhile every other group of people on Earth are allowed carry on as usual, they don't have to "worry" about making themselves "inclusive", or to rename their traditions, or to have themselves behaviourally modified for the benefit of others.

In short, it's a whole bag of stinking faeces. You get what you deserve, you lose what you allow.

• Advertisement

whats "European culture" and how is "it" being discriminated against?

Advertisement