Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Property Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can't believe new builds still have chimneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭notAMember

Stoves still count for A2 as they can be closed off.

I like the idea that they are selling those houses with builders finish. Probably adds another 100k to the price realistically, that's a lot of flooring, kitchen and furniture to kit out a house that size. But will be fun for someone.

The dot of a garden wouldn't be my bag though (in the dreamland where I have a few mill spare). Scale and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭shawki

• Registered Users Posts: 9 equilibre

We’ve been watching the cork property market for 4 years and seriously house hunting for 2 years. We’ve two good & stable jobs that luckily are covid proof. We have no family support- plain old hard graft from the pair of us. We have an expectation (that we’re slowly losing) that our children should have a bedroom each and a garden to play in and that we should be relatively central in order to make the crèche- school- full time job thing work. Given how much we have saved over the past few years I think we have more than earned it.

still, utterly heart broken to read in the examiner today that house prices are expected to rise exponentially until 2028 at least. Only last week I also read in the examiner that asking prices for new houses in the city are at the peak of Celtic tiger madness. How are both possible? How are houses meant to already be as expensive as could be and yet prices due to go up and up and up? How is both buying old and building new an absolute disaster either way?

im just so fed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

2nd post in 21 years suggests how annoyed you are!

Yeah we are in a similar boat and have pretty much given up on buying in Cork city, asking prices are crazy for total wrecks of houses and can't compete with investors on any decent house that comes up for sale so looking out at the commuter towns where competition isn't as fierce. Its a shame but all im seeing is people who work around the city and have or want to have families being shoved out to the suburbs.

I saw the headline of that article too, Rory Hearne talks a lot of shite sometimes and for someone who claims to want to solve the housing crisis forecasting massive future price increases is the worst thing you can do, totally encourages people to increase prices now and sit on property like 🤪

Post edited by iColdFusion on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭shnaek

Don't believe all that you read in the papers. They were saying the same in the Celtic Tiger days. There will be a crash before 2028 - it's inevitable. Don't want to get into the economics of it here on this property thread. Still, you don't want to be waiting for a crash. Just a shame housing policy here has been so bad over the past couple of decades.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The property market is exactly that, a market. Anyone predicting the next 8-10 years in such a market is clueless in my opinion.

I remember not so long ago when prices fell through the floor, negative equity was the buzzword. An apartment near me was down to 80k as it couldn't sell. It would be well over double that now. Peaks and troughs.

Thanks guys, your comments have made me feel a bit better. Then I made a few calls and was put through to an assistant director of a big estate agency and they literally scoffed down the phone at me. I was brought up to never treat people like that and in my work place I think I’d get stabbed in the eye with a pen for speaking so rudely to someone and yet- an innocent person putting their everything into a fairly generous budget (means nothing in this market I know) gets scoffed at and spoken down to…

theres nothing wrong with telling people what the don’t want to hear but there’s just no need to be rude and unprofessional in my opinion. We’ve dealt with six different agencies now and the bigger the agency, the rider and more unprofessional the agents. I can hand on heart say I’ve met one nice estate agent and he was a gentleman, that’s it.

I’ve really had enough, Cork is the pitts right now. I’m thinking about just moving away all together if we can get our jobs moved…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭RINO87

I know exactly how you feel. I called an agent about a house up the country today as on Daft it was "price on application" the agent tried to ask what area I worked in, and also the occupation of my partner before giving us a guide price - basically so he could just make something up based on what he figured our salaries were..... I was having none of it, and said its surely illegal to not list a guide price. The response was 2Well it's guiding at xxxx, I'll get a whole lot more than that tho" He then said he has had no offers!!!

It made me so angry....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If someone can predict the next 7 years of the property market, ask them for the lotto numbers too. Its very simple, prices are dictated by supply and demand. There is currently no supply, so prices are high and their is high demand. The only solution is build build build.

The central bank lending rules will keep a lid on prices as salaries are not meeting these prices and its unrealistic to expect them to.

• Advertisement

That’s outrageous! And looking at daft a lot of the prices seem completely made up- there’s one estate agent in cork who I swear adds at least an extra 100K onto every listing. They don’t seem to shift houses as quickly as other agents though.

it just feels like daylight robbery at this stage!

Yeah, that’s the right perspective alright. I guess it’s just a waiting game but that’s a horrible game for us as we are renting with smallies. Terrified of being asked to move and then needing to rent for an even higher monthly sum at the next place. Don’t want to upend the kids to much either. I wasn’t too stressed about this when pregnant but then again, I didn’t know a pandemic was around the corner- or how hard parent life is, again, especially in a pandemic. 💔

To add- I always thought once we had our deposit saved we’d be in a home within 12 months or so. 2 years in and not a hope…

Just remembering today that an estate agent bullied us into offering 50K above asking despite no other offers on a house that was on the market 5 months. We initially felt obliged but then walked away because the whole operation was stink- people we knew in the area got onto us to say the house had a leak they were covering up.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭pkvader

Any of you know what the name of the new development on Sarsfields road is?,site just above the driving test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I think it is social housing, I haven't seen any advertising.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sarsfield Heights its called. There was rumours it was social housing but it stopped completely during the Jan-April 21 lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

The use of online bidding is relatively new. The house next door on market 3 weeks now, been ques of people into it. Something like 40 last week alone. Deadline for online bids closes at 2pm tomorrow. Currently 6 bids in, €14k over asking & I suspect the real action to happen from 12-2 tomorrow. Bit more transparent but I’d hate to be bidding. Was bad enough when I was looking in 2018 and was outbid on several before finding mine.

Serious demand & lack of supply especially in cork city centre area. Closest new builds are in Glanmire or by airport. So older houses in high demand & very few on market.

Bit different to 2006 scenario where there was an over supply but not sure where it will end.

Post edited by vinnie_cork on

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

There is some absolute madness happening with online bidding, there is a lot to be said for forcing people to stop, have a think and pick up the phone to the auctioneer before placing their next bid, wasn't interested in this house in Fota but look at the bidding 😲

And there’s a condition on that Fota one. Can only live in it 6 months per year. It’s a planning & tax regulation.

• Advertisement

That live auction was dramatic. Closed at €101,000 over asking. And I thought it was spot on asking. At €5,550 per m2 great result for seller. But further shows pent up demand for city centre homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Just wondering if you were able to find out any more about this?

curious what this has sale agreed at , considering the price of the last house in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

what did last one go for? lots of work to be done to that one, there must be a lot of money floating around to say people can drop 400k+ on do'er uppers with no HTB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭whatever76

I know its nuts what do uppers are going for but I guess its location location location - I heard latest bid on this was ~380k ; 45 Belmont Park, Ballinlough, Co. Cork is for sale on Daft.ie

according to Register No 35 in that estate went for 520k !

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Good long garden on that Belmont Park one so well suited to extension. It doesn't surprise me following market in that area it is going for 380k plus. One on Somerton Road around corner went 375k recently. What surprises me is given where extension costs have gone what bidgets are people allowing and have they realistic idea on costs etc. Location is driving that price.

Last one was asking 395 and went for 520, that one was detached though and in better nik but still needed work done to it

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jbholmes

That area of Ballinlough is a very nice quiet and mature area, so I can see why they command the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

yea its a lovely area infairness so will always end up with a premium especially with the older houses having bigger gardens. still though when youve to practically gut the one linked above and presumably add on an extension how much value are you really adding at the end of it given the cost of materials now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Jbholmes

Yeah I actually agree with you. It all comes down to location. For example that house has a good school, swimming pool, shop (JJ ODriscolls) and a nice park with playground all within a two minute walk.

Advertisement