Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I say at that stage they decided to take off roof and replace it. They probably decided on other extras as well. The time lapse mid/late 2020 to spring 2022 was where real price explosion happened.

I used to think Dermot Bannon was brutal, bit at least he had a QA explaining the details

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Grueller

These projects on rte are monuments to architects grandeur is all. Limestone Cowboy hit the nail on the head, they have no regard for their clients money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'd say too, that my claim that the clients got the money handy isn't far wrong either, sure they threw it away on that job too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Grueller

I don't know wrangler, maybe so. Once they committed it was very hard to step back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,166 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Alot of people don't ask for a price beforehand and then get stung .

We had to do it here without proper pricing, you don't know what you'd meet in an old house,

House is only built on top of the ground, no foundations

Post edited by wrangler on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Just on the bungalow bliss I reckon you'd want to do a lot of the demolition work yourself to keep costs down. Cant understand when they had to remove all internal walls ( unfortunate ) the architect didn't alter plans re layout as seem to put back bedrooms as were before. Anyway looks like I'll have to do something myself, inherited bit of land and bungalow from uncle, he was in nursing home for 8 years, did nothing during that time ( copper cylinder was stolen etc ). Then costs got high but now co co have put derelict notice on it, going to charge 7% of value if nothing done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭straight

They're gas with their double height space and flat roofs. Open plan living didn't work out too well for lockdown. You need to educate yourself on what suits you best before you build.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Brother in law 55 died suddenly last year 18th December, now sister in law 53 isn’t expected to make Christmas, just waiting on a hospice bed now for her. My wife’s only two siblings. Mam also passed away in the spring

been hard time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Hard alright especially at this time of year, least you and your girls are there for your wife

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Know the feeling - my best pal past away this time last year, only 53 and left behind a wife 10 years younger:(

Post edited by Birdnuts on

Jesus Brian ye are getting more than yer share this past while

Went to ring an ad on DoneDeal, hit call, then call on a small pop up but nothing happened. Has anyone else has similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Watched the Charlie Bird interview there. Tough disease to be battling. Fair play to him for comeing on.

Man goes to his doctor with a headache, doc tells him I'm afraid you need a brain transplant, this one has had it.

Luckily, I have two in stock. There'a man's brain for 100,000 and a woman's brain for 5,000.

Well Doc, why the difference in price?

Doctor points to the woman's brain, that one's used.

It's a genetics. It's goes back to being hunter's and gathering. When the first men vegan to hunt when they were at it they had to be single focused and single minded. If you worried about what was around you the deer or bison got away

Women usually did not move far from the cave or structure where the tribe/family lived. They may have gathered fruit, grains and vegetables with the children. Because of this they became more watchful of what was around them and watched the children to keep them safe.

It hard to beat genetics because of this men tend to be more stubborn, single minded and focused on the task at hand. Women tend to be better multi tasking and attention to detail.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Charged up a battery overnight and stuck it into the fathers uncles (my grand uncle? Is that a thing?) 135 earlier. I'd say the engine turned for 5 seconds and she started. First time since 2011 the tractor was going. He parked it in the shed, with topper on it back then and hasn't moved since (he's since died). Couldn't believe it started so easy. Hardly a puff of smoke out of her. Delighted with that. He bought it new in 1967 or sometime around then and was the only tractor he ever owned. Was never overworked. Cab is rotten. Mechanically though all seems 100%. I'm over the moon really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A mountain goat of a tractor the 135 and 165, survival machines and Keep going.

A nice thing for ye

Was talking to a guy with 2 165s, 2 is the older version with the 65 engine while the other is the last model, says there’s a difference in the 2, the older will go the the latter would get stuck

• Advertisement

Well done Katie Taylor . Pity we couldn't see her fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

Ya can if ya no where to look or have the right box😁😁

Their aim was to keep us in the dark from the start, RTE is so stuck for material nowadays that they had to show it despite the reluctance of teh owners to give any information

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

Hi, we're upgrading the handling facilities a bit. Well overdue.

We've an outfarm, mother's old place, very seldom require a crush there but I guess when you need it you need it.

My question is do any of you have any experience of the mobile crushes? On a 3 point linkage afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

I wouldn't bother interfering with the old wall 'foundations' such as they are.

Have an old 3/s house done up over 10 years. It had just a slight taper in the foundation - built on gravel.

You only interfere with settlement. Unless there are water/drainage issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Ya buy a basic one. The race is the most important part of any crush. I bought one just because of the grant. It was about 1k and after vat and grant only cost 500 euro. I sticks it at head of a race area. Originally it was timber post driven with a post driver and blue band bar. I redid the race and crush 2-3 years ago. I never move it TBH.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Cannot beat a 135. Great having a relatives one too. Years that you have a surplus, parts can go against tax that year. The manual to repair it is very much step by step. Drop me a pm- I think I’ve a digital copy of one somewhere,

our 135 is a pure work horse- wide wheels and it floats on the wet land. Many a place I’d jump off and get stuck myself.

when I’ve a few Bob I want to get another one for vintage drives on a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Aunt passed away last night. Mother has one sister and one “step” sister left out of 10 siblings.

running out of people to dig graves. Next generation don’t seem to have an interest,

• Advertisement

Local department vet passed away on Friday. He was 89. He was a great character. My dad had him up for cancer treatment a few times. On one occasion he told my dad he reckoned one of the nurses fancied him. My dad nearly crashed the car..

Advertisement