Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

Difficult to believe, or I find it difficult at least, but I've read some comments online tonight complaining about ESB not having power restoration time estimates. I was out on the farm just before 9pm and it's properly nasty out, I was glad to get back into the van and home. Presume these people are in a warm house with full bellies. They out be pegged out in this weather for an hour or two as an education instead of moaning about others who are out in it. Believe it or not, there's a few things I won't give out about and the engineers who repair our power lines (no connection to them at all) are one of those. Well remember them going to other countries even to help there after storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You only realise how we need electricity for so many things when we don't have it. I hope those people complaining are off for a few days....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

What happens when we need it for transport?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

With climate change halted, there won't be any more storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The power was off here Monday for planned replacement of insulators on poles and from their inspection pre day visit I got them to replace a pole that previously had mushrooms growing from it. It was an awful day here Monday and on going into one paddock their pickup got stuck a hundred yards in. So to that pole they lumped it by foot and climbed the pole instead of the basket. Digger came in then and pulled the pickup and trailer out ..backwards. Mess was made (a little) but everything was done to limit damage in the fields bar the date picked for maintenance..

Yesterday the power went out again just after dinner and the estimated time back was 20.45. It was hooked back up just before 18.00.

Would I complain about them? Not on your Nelly. You wouldn't get me up a pole.

There's solar and wind home generation options now for people who want to try it themselves.

I went through Ophelia and five days without power and estimated time of power back was always 19.45 or 20.45 that evening.

The esb crews have my full respect. Shows too that there's non Irish accents now in those crews. Lots of Irish are being spoiled in life and becoming infantile.

• Advertisement

That's the problem people feel they have to complain about little things. It just makes them look like a gobshite. While they think they are great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭emaherx

Maybe microgeneration is the way of the future. Along with hopefully much better/cheaper battery storage in vehicles and possibly within houses too.

Or we'll be on the big dirty fossil fuel generator with our own home brew fuels, while others Flintstone it 😁

My kids have learned to rough it for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes when I was in collage one of my friends dad was a lines man with the ESB, there was a bad storm around Christmas time and as well as here parts of France were without power. My mates dad went to France to help after they had all the issues in Ireland sorted. The following 2 years my mate wasn't eligible for the collage grant because of the extra over time his dad had earned the December & January. Every time that rest of us got our grant money he would be giving out (in a joking kind of way) about how his poor dad had to risk his life during the storms and that he was now getting punished for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I served my time with the ESB back in the 90s. When I was finishing up they were closing area offices and offering redundancy to staff. I was asked back after my apprenticeship on contract for 6 months and most likely could have been made permanent. Now 25 yrs later they have a fraction of the staff and are looking for workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Work alongside GNI a bit myself at the moment twould be a nice number and plenty of perks to the job too but it would absolutely ruin a young lad serving their time or just finished there time a retirement home for broke up fitters is what one beat up fitter told me it is.

Better living everyone

I've worked in some sort of field service job my whole career, thankfully never up a pole in storm though. Its amazing how many customers greet you like you are the enemy and want a estimation of repair time before you've even had time to asses the issue. The worst customers are often the ones who have done something to cause the issue too. Obviously not all customers are like this but the old "the customer is always right" line couldn't be further from the truth. Definitely anyone out there doing repairs while the storm is still blowing has my respect, and take your time lads I charged plenty of batteries when I seen the forecast, have a gas cooker and a wood stove.

Electricity has been on and off a day here or there for weeks due to line upgrades and new customer connections, scheduled off for a day next week too, worst thing is when its scheduled off on a weekday the school closes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Odelay

I had a read of the weather thread yesterday. You wouldn’t believe the same shoite on it, some saying it was only a bit of wind etc.

Unfortunately there are some people in all walks of live who cannot comprehend the complexity of certain situations. And usually these people are the ones that have the least understanding of the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dzer2

Jeez ermaherx

I am going round repairing stuff for different customers for years. Now I am the last port in a storm, I get the red the carpet everywhere. Got a call from a company Monday evening never worked for them before, went on took about 2 hours to figure out what was wrong. Got paid and all when leaving the lad operating the machine said it was down over a week. Didn't charge enough.

You've been lucky if you've never experienced it, I've worked with customers in several different industries and some are definitely worse than others. I've experience the red carpet treatment too don't get me wrong. My point wasn't that all customers are like that but there have been enough.

Once travelled in country wide snow storm from Navan to a business near Mallin Head because network equipment had failed to restart after a power cut, was meant to be met by a courier with spare equipment, only to be met with irate customer due to courier refusing to travel as snow had gotten too bad. Was suggested that I should travel back to get the part, it was a Friday evening after hours too, I did what I could to get their site partially back online and went to the nearest hotel, didn't receive too much thanks for my effort either. On the other hand I've had customers offer gifts of bottles of whiskey etc for my trouble, which I'd refuse, found one in the back of my van after getting home one evening having refused it earlier, so no not all bad either.

From my short time working with equipment on farms, farming folk are definitely by far the most welcoming especially if you have an interest yourself.

Post edited by emaherx on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Sometimes, Spent most of my career as a Hardware Field Engineer for IBM. Usually my time was spent on more electro mechanical equipment like Industrial Printers, ATM's and Tape Libraries but was also given more general IT and Network training/certification like Cisco, so out of hours/emergency calls were likely to be anything with a plug, from equipment in Data Centres, Comms Rooms to Retail EPOS systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

It was but there is some truth to the old saying about "jack of all trades"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ATMs you say? So, after you get it out of the wall, what's the best way to open it? 😀

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

For a cold,wet, blustery day out, it looks like it was warmer on the "youtubers" thread.

Personally don't doubt that esb workers on the ground do there job & what's asked off them.it's the lack of investment in the existing infrastructure in rural countryside by the company I think is a issue.

I'm talking old,rotten in many cases,poles & lines with tall trees close by that have in the past & do cause trouble in windy storms.

ESB maintenance locally here anyway is unusual nowadays it seems to me, seen more of it 20 years ago.

Use to send a tractor & saw round years ago, now it's a small team of lads doing a quick dressing beneath lines.2 seasons growth later & it's back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭cute geoge

All I see is Glanbia plc will try and buy everything for the lowest possible price i.e. milk ,grain and sell everything at the highest price i.e. its share of glanbia Ireland .The price is too dear in my book but then again farmers are not business people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭cute geoge

wrong tread how do ypu edit or transfer to another tread does anyone know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Copy and paste. I'll delete the misplaced post. The one above?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Bungalow bliss on RTE tonight, we bought this bungalow because it was wrecked and we could afford it @€325,000 and they have €130-140,000 to put into it 😳😳😳

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I wonder how the ones with the green tin roof got on in that weather?

They must have put in some sort of sound deadening. I hope. Unless they only had budget left for a few pairs of ear defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dzer2

Half a million for a small bungalow Jesus they should have got a house in Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Grueller

Ya. In order to borrow for that you need near €100,000 saved and about €140,000 annual combined income. Mad.

Advertisement