Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

you can be dam sure it will be delayed so no action can take place under this Dail, the tactic of West on Track now is to delay it further as the only political support that exists for this project is from SF; SF and WOT are glued together and O'Raggilly knows his ultimate dream will only come to fruition from the SF/WOT alliance. God knows why they see this as the saviour of the West is beyond any rational thinking in the meantime with some of the comments flying around about the NDP at present its worth looking at what certain people said in the past, strange how they don't stick by what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Thanks. Please keep us updated on progress on the Charlestown->Collooney section - for those of us who are not on Facebook.

Once Charlestown->Collooney gets built, the ridiculousness of MCC opposing a Greenway on the Claremorris->Charlestown section will be exposed for all to see - unless of course they'd be then proposing a service that would terminate at Charlestown?!🙄

I see that Sinn Fein are bringing a Private Members motion to the Dail tomorrow on Regional Transport Infrastructure - among the wish-list it "calls on the government to ... commit to delivering the Western Rail Corridor". Their Mayo TD, says that "The failure to include a Western Rail Corridor [in the National Development Plan] was a missed opportunity". Hmmmm ... "a" Western Rail Corridor. Not "the" Western Rail Corridor? Maybe she has another one in mind!

Anyway, she's keeping her WOTsApp group happy, and that's the important thing!

• Advertisement

Annoyingly the podcast is for a different story

Yep that is a pity but it shows the plans of SF/WOT this mouthpiece of a cllr has clearly been given orders to start getting the railway back on the agenda in the council and in the county, even though the county executive backed by the chamber are busy spending €300.000 seed funding money to get this project off the mark and Minister Ryan fully backs the Sligo Greenway, the SF/WOT plan is to stall the project as long as possible.hopefully people will see this latest attempt to bring the railway back into the debate on this stretch of the so called Western Rail Corridor, it is all about stalling the greenway, they know full well when the Sligo greenway is built and terminates in Charlestown people in East Mayo will finally go ballistic with the council and the East Mayo Greenway to Claremorris will have to happen. Watch this space SF/WOT are targeting the Sligo Greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Decades

This is another major blow to the Athenry-Tuam greenway. Anyone suggesting otherwise is in cloud cuckoo land. https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/details-of-preferred-route-corridor-for-athlone-galway-greenway-emerge/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Off topic but having spent 4 days cycling around Gort/Kinvara/Derrybrien/Abbey/Abbeyshrule and the Sliabh Aughty mountains over a warm few days in August, it is lovely countryside. A part of the world I knew nothing about but certainly one I would revisit on the bike. Greenway or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

It's a pity, I did some work on that in Athenry, we tried linking with other communities etc.... but I know the work Katleen put into promoting it around Gort, she was a powerhouse. I felt the business & community buy in was more.... I dunno... considered for the red route. They were very positive & there was some friendly banter between Gort & Athenry cycling groups. We promote & support each others work so we can't begrudge them.

• Advertisement

The Red Route certainly ticks the boxes of grabbing as many attractions along the way as possible although I think much of the so-called greenway will be parallel to roadside segregated cycling- which is fine by me and I suspect many others too. As you say the enthusiasm was negligible on some routes, with one local councillor in Mountbellew offering to resdesign the most northerly route (to exclude alongside the rail alignment) before it was even considered. The faces of the project promoters suggested he put a nail in that coffin before it even started.

As was said on another thread, the route chosen was probably the path of least IFA resistence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Indeed, it should have gone through Loughrea originally, and be built by now, but I believe Political interference stalled the process & moved the project south.

https://irishcycle.com/2015/09/22/td-calls-for-end-to-current-dublin-to-galway-greenway-route/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

edit - wrong thread

Post edited by Grassey on

Great news out today from TII. 

€120,000 allocated to the Western Rail Trail sections in Sligo & Galway from TII announced today. 

A further 70k allocated to Galway Co. Co. for the Athenry to Milltown section (The Quiet Man Greenway) of the Western Rail Trail with a further 50k to Sligo Co. Co. for the Collooney to Bellaghy (Claremorris) section (Sligo Greenway). 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Congratulations to Sligo Greenway Co Op and the Quiet Man Greenway committees on being included in the latest tranche of funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

What's the money for? Pretending to provide sangiges, Tayto and Cavan Cola at their next cider party on the the trackbed? ☺️

The PDF on its own is here. Very impressive when you see the full list of projects together. We're really committed to this stuff now. Great to see.

• Advertisement

From a local councillor on Facebook

"RPS Were appointed in October to carry out a feasibility study for a greenway route between Athenry and Milltown. Study area has been defined, environmental and Landscape assessment underway, review of Irish Rail Strategy ongoing. Site walkovers to begin in February"

Everything hinging on the all Island Rail Strategy with the worst-case scenario being a fob. Best case is a decisive finding and NTA taking the project back from the Council in the interest of developing a national network- be it rail or greenway.

Aye, and worst case is a fudge, likely that ends up with the asset remaining unused by anyone

Again and again, Minister after Minister, have all said the same thing. Here, last Thursday Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan reiterited that the route north of Claremorris to Collooney is not viable as rail and that there is broad agreement that it should be used as a Greenway. Even went as far as to say, its only Mayo Co Co which is blocking it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It sounded like he mentioned Mayo CoCo and thought to himself "oh better not hang them", so mentioned Galway and Sligo too. Granted Galway is a sh*tshow when it comes to greenways but Sligo is pushing ahead themselves so no need to drag them into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Seen on a gricer page today. JD, join me for a spin to the Distant Home on opening day?

Nice to see things moving along on the Sligo section. ABP just ruled no EIA is required. Looks like this will shave a nice chunk of time off the delivery of the greenway on the abandoned line, hurrah!

Welp, looks like the WRC can forget TEN-T funding (lol was never going to happen).

The latest TEN-T documents adopted at the Transport council cover nearly 500 billion in spending on infrastructure over the next 30 years.

It doesn't view the WRC as even being extended, let alone funding anything related to it

In fact, as far as freight is concerned, Ireland has opted out of using TEN-T to push forward rail freight

It doesn't even list existing freight terminals for TEN-T funding

The only rail passenger lines put forward for TEN-T funding are the Cork to Belfast spine

So yeah, thats TEN-T removed from the equation for the WRC, not that there was ever any doubt

Now, this is all "IMHO" as I interpret the TEN-T doc's, they are nothing if not convoluted. Given info is spread across nearly 50 documents I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Pathetic! The least we could aim for is >200kmh on the Cork to Belfast line.

When is the All Island Strategic Rail Review due?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

End of Q4.

I hear they have it but are kicking it around to make it more politically acceptable. Sinn Fein has pretty much promised railways to every village, and the Greens want to have farmers going out by train to round up the vegan cattle, so telling them straight that the wrc was laughed out of court won't be easy.

On top of that, the NI transport minister (a SF MLA) has asked for a railway from Derry to Portadown, which would effectively connect Dublin to Derry, taking out the Provo promise to extend the wrc to Derry.

It will be interesting to see what form of f**k off words yo the train lobby will be used this time. Maybe the promise of another review, or a review of this review and the last half dozen reviews to see if the theme of them all was mistaken.

Post edited by eastwest on

To paraphrase a character on Fr. Ted - "Is there anything to be said for another review?"

Or, the expression concerning a previous Minister for Transport, Mary O'Rourke, about whom it was said that she was always "one more review away from making a decision".

The folks in Sligo are not stopping. Tendering has opened for detailed design and planning application prep

Found the tender for engineering consultancy services here, I presume that's what's being referred to.

Hello folks not been in this happy nut house for awhile, so since I've been gone: Sligo greenway is all but going to tender, and TEN-T has once again said there will be no WRC and MCC are still pouring money into the slush fund velorail project, Galway coco and MCC have published new county plans that blatantly ignored thousands of submissions asking for a greenway and what else oh yes, someone is still promising to drain the shannon, nothing new then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

drain the shannon? is that the nonsense of pumping the water to dublin? thought that was discounted.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

Poor auld Lisa is disappointed a line with a poor alignment, rusty tracks, void of regular passenger services for nearly 50 years, going to a lowly populated area isn't part of the EU wide core transportation network

Perhaps someone should explain it to her

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

It does surprise me the WRC isn't on the agenda, especially considering the failure of the GCRR. Galway would benefit from a Strategic Rail Review similar to Limerick. Or has this been done?

A train line, supplemented by P&R and local buses, could be a big success if implemented correctly. The N17, N83 and N63 corridors have a large rural population despite having few large towns.

There is the national strategic rail review due out before Xmas.

Did you mean a transportation strategy? There is no Limerick strategic rail review afaik

There are commuter rail proposals for Galway, but it'll be 10-15 years before we see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There have been multiple reports on the possibility of reopening the WRC north of Athenry and all have found it not to be worth the cost. We don't need more reports to tell us it's not viable, we need to move on to what is viable.

• Advertisement

I wonder what effect the death of Fr. MacGréil will have on West On Track - if that organisation is still going?

west on track is indeed still going.

he's death is a huge and sad loss but i am in no doubt the campaign will continue as i am sure he would have wanted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Western Rail Corridor got a shout out from the Transport Minister the other day. Eamon Ryan put out a piece in the Irish Times to coincide with the Dublin transport plan, which included this paragraph:

We have to progress all this rail infrastructure in a phased way, because at the same time we will be investing in our other cities and regions, building new metropolitan rail services in Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford, transforming rail freight to and from our deep-water ports, developing a new Western Rail Corridor that connects to all those ports and exploring new rail lines to the northwest, which has been neglected for years.

You can see the rest here:

There's a fair amount of stuff in there that Ryan presents as a fait accompli when it's not, like his talk of all the evidence pointing to a Metrolink extension to Tallaght, while the actual Transport plan itself says that it's going to look at all possible routes, so I'd take everything on there with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wouldn't take any of it as anything more than hot air. This is the same minister that nix'd the possibility of a direct rail connection between Cork and Limerick as part of preparatory works on the Cork-Limerick motorway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A small hint of what's in the All Ireland Rail Review, with talk of reopening the line from Athenry to Claremorris, but only for freight. Passengers may follow, "if successful".

Personally speaking, I do think that all these lines should eventually be reopened, but this half measure is the wrong option, all but guaranteeing the same kind of controversy that has plagued the WRC to date. How do you measure the success of the line? Does it need to turn a profit? Is it the tonnage moved? Are we going to subsidise it, and for how long? Where is the freight going to be coming from?

All the same kind of questions that have been asked about the WRC, just with freight instead of passenger numbers.

All a bit academic anyway, I can't see this project going ahead in the next 20 to 30 years. There's so many other projects that are ahead of this in the pipeline, that are both more necessary and have greater benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FrankLeeSpeaking

Apart from friends and family his passing is a huge loss how? I am not disrespecting the man but how was he a great loss to rail transport on this island?

He probably did more to hold back the rail system by creating a kind of Fr Ted image of it in many people's minds. To him reopening railways was about charity and not transport. He had an antiquated view of the project that it would 'create jobs' and stop people leaving the West. As if a few trains a day would prevent young people from expanding their horizons and experience the wider world. Never once did he make an argument for the line beyond some nonsense of social justice or the Marian shrine at Knock. Outside a few parishes in the West, I can assure that no one took the sight of a priest making demands of taxpayers seriously. West on Track also demanded the mickey mouse stations on the Ennis to Athenry section being reopened and wanted all the other closed mickey mouse stations up to Sligo reopened. He even stated once that the DART was a waste of money as it only served Seagulls on one side of it.

Even supported that loon behind the City of the Sacred Heart buffoonery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Westernview

I think this needs to be challenged. You may say you are not disrespecting the man but comparing him to Fr Ted suggests otherwise. It was due to a small number of people like him that pressure was applied in the late 1970s to prevent the lifting of the rails following closure of the lines. If this had happened it is unlikely that the route would have been protected from encroachment and the cost of reopening now would be astronomical and mired in legal wrangles. He was clearly a man of intellect having published numerous respected academic papers and books. Not to mention the work he did in promoting the irish language and campagning for social justice and marginalised communities. He was also heavily involved in decriminalisation of homosexuality as far back as the early 80s and he spent time living with travelling communities to gain an understanding of their challenges. I dont think anyone could say that is the legacy a man with antiquated views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Westernview

I agree that passengers should be included but it seems that freight is the biggest economic argument for opening the line. Ballina's freight yard is actually the busiest in the country outside Dublin. If it opened for freight then I'd hope that passenger travel would surely follow soon after? Given the lack of planning obstacles and relative value for money compared to alternative road projects there should be no obvious reasons for not progressing the project. Political decisions would be only impediment at this stage given the importance of such projects in addressing climate change and facilitating decarbonisation.

he was a very vocal operator as part of the campaign and understood the west to an absolute t, he never stated trains would stop people leaving, however he recognised transport and trains included are a part of creating a better environement for people to live in and he has been shown to be correct on that score.

he would only have created a father ted immage of the railway in the minds of those who were and still are against it's existence and can't be blamed for holding anything railway related back since the politicians weren't really that interested in rail bar just keeping it going for decades.

they are the only ones to blame for that backward ideology for which they are being forced kicking and screaming to modernise but not fast enough.

There is no logical argument, based on facts and data, for freight on that line. Multiple reports have said the same thing over and over

There is if you base your argument on emotion only

• Advertisement
Advertisement