Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Bungalow Bliss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I wouldnt hire those architects anyway.

Admittedly they had a crap house i the first place that did need a lot of work, but all the architects did was get them a €300k shed thats was a smaller size than the original house.

That was a very poor show by the architects. They should have ended up with something a hell of a lot better than they did.

And living room, dining room and kitchen all in the one place. Obviously the architects didnt have kids. A house that size should allow the whole family space to have some peace from one another. As it is they will end up killing each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Maybe if you don't really live in the house.

Imagine trying to watch abit of TV while someone is clattering about in the kitchen.

Kitchen will always have to be spotless or else you are left looking at dirty counters.

Visitors especially surprise ones would be a nightmare as no where to hide.

I wonder how many people are regretting open plan now as they're wfh at the kitchen table while rest of the household is milling around you. Or worse, contaminating your bedroom with work as only place that's quiet.

They didn't put a home office in that bungalow. The loft space could be used I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deeec

We never to see the full house in these programmes - we just get glimpses of rooms. I would think they do have a home office (it would be madness in this day and age not to) as well as the 3 bedrooms.

Just had another look at the link Maryanne put up......there's a desk under the stairs 🙄 but there's not a designated close the door office.

They went from a 6 bedroom bungalow to a 3 bedroom....I get that the layout is probably better but it's really the minimum amount of rooms that they actually need.....I can see another extension added in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I like a lot of what they did but they really didn't get much bang for their buck.

They are left with 3 smallish sized bedrooms ,a small snug,which I presume will end up being the TV room.

iirc the upstairs only had that small study area, probably too small for a bedroom,so probably end up as a home office or dead space.

Spending all that money but no sign of solar panels or anything that might reduce heating costs.

Was also mentioned they were using a lot of experimental materials ,any idea what they were talking about?

Also house would have been closer to 2000sq ft. after they knocked all the back of it.

2000sq ft new build would surely have been no more expensive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

How is it that these types of programs never show anything about heating systems, with all this talk about heat pumps and solar panels and how they are going to save the planet? I'm sure most people would be more interested in how the house is heated rather than looking at some architects fantasy of a green galvanized roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd imagine from the glimpse we got the back extension wasn't worth saving and too costly to replace. A well designed house is better than a bigger crap house IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just watching this now. Some people have fierce notions. Kids name is Jasper too. FFS.

They said they bought the bungalow for 150k because they'd never be able to afford to buy in Dublin or they'd be in the commuter belt. Very strange reasoning considering they then went and bought in Connemara. And also their reno budget is 220k meaning a total spend of 360k...you'd get a fine place in the sticks in Kildare near her homeplace.

Yer wan wears the trousers anyways. Every question Hugh asks, the hubby looks to her before answering.

• Advertisement

Yer man reminds me of Eoin O'Broin too. Very very similar looking and similar voice.

I actually liked the roof and thought finished house looked great inside and out but it's probably not a practical family home for people with young kids. On the other hand, plenty of space to let them run around outdoors. Fully agree more space could or should have been given to solar panels but the architect said they would get something like 44k back in grants so they must be doing a pretty decent job on the heating and energy anyhow.

I don't think the lack of a home office is an issue as there were sheds where he could set up his workshop and she's a respiratory nurse so how much work will she be able to do from home.

For all his reluctance to build the kitchen island, he did a fantastic job on it. He's clearly properly talented tbf to him.

Biggest problem for me was the sheer cost of it. At that money it seems strange not to just start from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭purpleshoe

Doubt 360k would get a house like theirs in the Kildare sticks.

Also what’s going with the rest of your post, and the posting of the girls picture?

What’s the goal? Are you trying to get a personal dig in?

Japers! (see what I did there?) is it beyond you to work out why they never had 360k to buy in Kildare? Did you not listen properly and rush to your keyboard to have a go?

• Advertisement

325k. Much nicer than what they bought, extra bedroom too.

Even have 35k left over to have a BMW outside the front door.

They made a massive financial mistake. Half a million they spent and they're left with small house and galvanised roof.

Go on, enlighten me how they didn't have 360k for Kildare but could get it from the bank in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

His furniture is all over the house. A quick google and you can see some of the pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's a pity even 10 minutes of the show wasn't dedicated to this part of the renovation, would have made it a lot more interesting.

• Advertisement

'Time' pussyhands. It's not rocket science.

They had the money/access to money to buy Galway but not Kildare. They were able to save/borrow on the strength of Galway to do the renovations.

But they never had 360 at any time in one lumps sum.

I don't view that as a good example. I think any reasonable person would agree that you are not comparing like with like. Their house (bought for 150k) post renovation is far superior.

Also worth noting that while the house you gave as example is fine for living right now, it will need investment to align with the times ahead. The house featured on TV is future proofed, the house you gave as an example is not future proofed.

We all know how expensive labour and materials are. If 175k is invested into your example, it would raise the money spent to 500k. More if the house goes above the asking price, which isn't uncommon in the current housing market. 175k whilst a lot of money doesn't go that far now a days in home refurbishments.

Explain in more detail please!

They said they'd never have been able to afford to buy in Dublin/Commuter belt.

They magic'd 100k out of nowhere overnight.

No one has 360k in a lump sum, they take out mortgages.

By the way, they bought it in 2015. So house prices around Dublin would be around 25% cheaper than they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

They bought that house in October 2015, 6 years old. House prices would have been about 30% cheaper than now. So you're talking about 260k for the house I linked back in 2015.

Unsure what is the point you are making.

Have you an example of a house in the Kildare sticks that is like theirs, and has a price tag of 360k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The linked given earlier says Demand Control Ventilation (or would have if RTE ever read over their work). Solar panels are not the be-all-and-end-all, particularly in Connemara if the house isn't orientated right with limited daylight hours in winter when the biggest demand for heating is.

<Not aimed at the poster I quoted, just part of the same post> The house is not small, I think people just get that impression because the house isnt packed with furniture. You can see in the floor plan that there is cloak room at the hall, a utility with storage, all bedrooms have wardrobes (including walk-in in master). With sufficient dedicated storage space and not hoarding crap you don't need a massive house. Plenty of space for any amount of shed space too.

There is a den and usable attice space so the moans about open plan kitchen/living room are misplaced, there are options if you want to get away. They themselves know better their intentions for more children or need to wfh. Some seem more interested in judging the people on these programmes than in the houses. 2000sq.ft is not a small house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Are you mad? How would they have 35k left for a BMW one they brought that place up to the same standard?

My point was about these programs never show what systems are used for heating, they spend time showing the floor being concreted yet they didn't show the underfloor heating while filming it, spent 10/15 minutes on about a kitchen island yet never showed the heat pump. maybe it's just me but I thought the likes of these things would be more of interest to most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I think most people care more about the look, like the island and floor, rather than the type of heating system they use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deeec

I liked the interior finish they achieved and Im sure they have a snug warm efficient house now. But for the amount of money spent I dont think they got value - its a very expensive 2000sq foot house. All the rooms are pretty tight except the open plan kitchen/living/dining area. The bedrooms dont have much storage at all - those are small wardrobes. It would appear the bathrooms are so tight there is no room for a bath also which is necessary when you have young kids. Its a nice house - but could have been done better. In a couple of years this house may need further work done as the layout no longer meets their needs

This is what happens when you try and keep part of the original house, it should be flattened from the word go as they had no attachment to the house, different if it was their family home then I could understand the sentimental value to keep part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭techman1

I thought when the program was called "bungalow bliss" it would be about the history of bungalows in ireland, why they are unique to Ireland, why so many were built and the guys that actually built them and the families that lived in them.

A program like that would have been genuinely interesting as they have never been looked into much strangely even though they are ubiquitous to this country. Yet what we got was yet another home renovation program in the dermot bannon style

The bedrooms are all at least 9sq.m which isn't massive but certainly isn't small either. The den/4th bedroom is 13sq.m. a good size for a secondary living area. The loft is huge, albeit with restricted head height on the sides. There is a study space at the stairs. They have an extra 4m of presses in the utility room, plus other general storage. There is an attice space as well for Christmas decorations, etc. The family bathroom is small and you'd expect a bath but beyond that I don't think they really compromised on size elsewhere.

I can't imagine why you think the house would need further work as the layout no longer meets their needs. Open plan kitchen/dining/living is standard now and unlikely to change for them, they lived with lots of separate rooms for years so they know if they don't want that. They have two secondary living spaces, loft and den. The den doubles as an additional bedroom which they know will only get occasional use so no need for another bedroom empty 95% of the time. What about the layout could suddenly not meet their needs?

This is like Grand Designs meets Dermot Bannon and seeing how creatively they can piss away as much money as possible.

Half a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I presume this was shot last summer ? The great rip off of Irish prices due to Brexit had kicked in by then. Even old stock was wildly inflated. This couple may not have got the optimum result but 'quality remains long after the price is forgotten '

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Trondheim

I think that this is one of the big divides on these kind of programmes. I would much prefer to see copies of the plans, know the detail of the systems they put in etc. and skip all of the human interest stuff. Others prefer the human interest stories and only want to see nice pictures of how the house looks at the end.

Maybe that is just different personalities or the fact that i am interested in renovating our house and want to use this to get ideas on heating systems, how to organise house space etc, whereas other people who are happy with the structure of their house are just looking for interior design inspiration + a bit of entertainment.

It would be great to get a Quantity Surveyor to comment on this. I have often wondered which is better in these circumstances - knock it and start again or refurb. We could all have an opinion on it, but it is only really by having a QS run the figures that you would find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Totally agree. Even 'Grand Designs' has given up on technicalities and focus on quibbles between the couples. ( Remember the floating house on the Thames - I would love to know how the services were attached ! )

You get a more complete view of the project if you can see how the services work and see the craftsmen making bespoke items ( if any )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Wouldn't be far off in the likes of Athy for that sort of budget. Fact is though they are really in the middle of nowhere too and the house really isn't aimed at a growing family. The Tiger is back.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-25-mansfield-grove-athy-co-kildare/3470296

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I don't think it is in the middle of nowhere. It is on the Galway City side of Oughterard. So 17 miles to Galway City and walking distance to the village of Oughterard. The location has plusses and minuses. On the minus side, it is just down the road from a derelict hotel that was the focus of protests about a direct provision centre two years ago. The hotel remains derelict, so depending on what happens that it could increase or decrease the value of their house. The road outside the house is the main Galway - Clifden road, so there is no way you could let young children outside the gate. On the plus side, there is a hard shoulder outside the house and either hard shoulder or footpath all the way into Oughterard, so in the future, their teenage kids could walk/cycle to the village and to school. They are fairly close to Galway, and when the Galway bypass eventually gets built, they will have easy access to much of the city.

Athy is particularly cheap in terms of Kildare and there are probably good reasons for that.

While Athy is closer to Dublin, for every other factor i think that Oughterard, close to Galway is a much nicer place to live. But that is just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Notwithstanding the length of time it would take for a mini digger to gut the inside carefully , it just also struck me as an odd way to completely remodel an existing house. I suppose new roofing joints & block work would be an additional cost but with the money spent on this project, I would have thought not a stumbling block (no pun intended)

I'm still astonished at what was spent given the actual work done on this project.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Ya, my instinct is that you could probably still use the base, so you wouldn't be fully starting from scratch, and it would seem to be easier to build to proper insulation and seal specification from scratch rather than retrofitting to existing walls. Nevertheless, there must be some advantages to the retrofit, otherwise there wouldn't be so many people doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There obviously is alright , I suppose if the spend was less I'd say fair enough but I know some neighbours who built far bigger and dare I say nicer new homes from scratch and for far less in the past 6 years .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

I'd be sure it would make sense to refurb if you were going like for like but knocking and starting fresh would build a better planned house.

The house is small for half a million. 3 bedrooms were small.

In the main, i agree that they don't have a lot of house for €500K. But i don't see many houses for sale with BER A2, and when there are, they tend to attract a premium. So when you take the spec into account (as opposed to just the size), it starts to look a bit better (albeit it still feels like a lot for 3 bedrooms).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭thebourke

how much does it cost to get an energy retrofit survey done on your house?

Bear in mind that the €500k cost here includes the cost of buying the house. For most people refurbing, they have the house a long time and wouldn't factor it in as a cost (mortgage still outstanding has to be paid whether they refurb or not). Most refurbs wouldn't involve polished concrete floors either.

Are those concrete floors hard to keep clean? If you had muck on your shoes would it stain it and be a right job to get clean again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement