Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Bungalow Bliss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭jos28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats what Im thinking, insurance will be an issue here aswell surely, interesting episode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They are only going to use it as their weekend home for fck sake they are well off this is not what I thought the show was about going on past shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭jos28

I knew they were going to say €350K, seriously this would put you off hiring an architect. Giving them a very bad name, can they not design to budget ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

350,000 "ball park" aka 400,000+. Well done the architects yet again blowing the budget that their clients have, jeez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

My first thought as well was first big storm that could go.not like we don't get them up here.

I know Someone who parks his van in front of the big picture window.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

What's your budget? We have 200k 230 at a push.

Okay so we have designed your new house for 350k, why bother asking in the first place.

Eek that's a soil cliff hoped it was rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ffs

Yeah sure here's some VR. That'll help you find another 100 grand.

Usual RTE choreographed "budget" dance

• Advertisement

It's the done to death dance on budget that RTE have to squeeze into every one of these shows

Well that's way above the ceiling price for the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Currently modernising an old bungalow and we had an architect in. Our budget was ignored and the designs all but disregarded our primary asks. The ballpark figure we got from the eventually agreed design was far too low as well.

They live in a fantasy land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

A cottage or nearly any old farmhouse usually had the layout of going in the door you went left to the kitchen and maybe a room off it and right to the sitting room with one or two rooms off it. The chimney in the middle of the house was a huge division between the two sides of the house, in my mothers house the chimney breast downstairs was two thirds the depth of the house and about 6 feet deep, it took a huge chunk of the floorspace.

The early bungalows were an antidote to the traditional houses, rectangular with really big windows (single glazed) a corridor accessing each room so no rooms off rooms etc. Early ones had heaps of small rooms again a reaction to the old style farmhouse with a couple of larger rooms often with several kids sharing one room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I said the exact same!

As soon as they started talking cantilever...cha-ching budget gone..... architects on their vision journey to make a statement piece.

Why was the architect so reluctant to give the cost. Surely all that's in a spreadsheet as they are working through the design.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Given the title of the show, a bungalow is a building based on a design published in Jack Fitzsimons book.

A cottage is a building based on older vernacular design, with a large open kitchen heated by a range or turf fire with rooms off. A cottage can be two story, but not like current three bed semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

How long before their expensive glass extension is floating in the Atlantic ocean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Huge closet required this week

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Trondheim

Somebody above called this an architect circle jerk. As the architects sat around talking about bungalows, that phrase was all I could think about!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭techman1

another thing that really distinguishes the 70s/80s bungalows from everything else is those heavy concrete black or brown roof tiles. They were not really used before then or since. Must have been heavy work for the roofers back then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Much prefer this to last week. Those views are incredible. I’d be worried about coastal erosion though! Also waiting for them to finally say the total cost!

That all makes sense to me now. I’m not originally from Ireland and when I first started looking to move out of the city I couldn’t understand what I was seeing with respect to what appeared to be a fascination with long dark corridors instead of adjoining open spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Close to half a mil and your kids still have to share a room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭standardg60

Agree, top job for the budget compared to last week, i know which one i'd prefer.

I actually like it and the total cost of 495k is coming in cheaper than the other 2. would I buy it? no, too near the cliff edge for my liking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So what was the final cost? Or was it just an -ish price. Just too much over budget to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Trondheim

Is it only 2 bedrooms?

no way a boy and girl will be happy to share a bedroom in a few years.

Sounded like a summer home so I'd say they'll deal with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Did that cost less to build and finish than the bungalow last week if 350k is accurate?

• Advertisement

In fairness it was a very good job this week. The budget was blown yet again but unlike last week this couple looked like they could absorb it more as they already have their main house. They spent 350k total on the works and got a hell of a lot more for their money than the couple last week who spent 337k and didnt even get a ulitity room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

I thought they got better bang for their buck than last week's. Half a mill for the weekend gaff- I am a bit jealous, but fair play if they can do it. I'd be out with the lobster pot !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Shauna677

Hope he doesn't lose his job!

Last week had to suffer a stupid mistake when the builder dug up the foundations in order to put in underfloor heating - at a cost of 70 grand. Take that off the final bill and it might have been OK - and add a porch so that the wind does not blow the heat out of the only living space.

This week is at least a nice result with spectacular views.

350k and the cottage cost 145k, so not bad when you see the finished house.

No comparison to the previous week's money pits.

a lot of money went into those foundations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

1/2 Mill my arse. With those finishes that’s a 1/2mill refurb without the purchase price. Fabulous job, but wish them luck with the Revenue audit they’re about to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Same craic on this one, mentioned how cold the original house was at the start then no more about it, would have liked to see which heating system they used? how they insulated it? practical stuff, likes the oul plamausing that guy, he's on screen too much, the build should be the star not him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

That hot tub alone must be close to 10k.

True, any shuttered reinforced concrete doesn't come cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Very cocky and well off family...the kids are only about 7 or 8 and they're saying they'll be in Riverdance or Lord of the Dance...

• Advertisement

I don't like it.

The view is a beaut but the house itself...it wouldn't be for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Who knows, I'd say they are pulling the figures out of their behind.

Its a tv show, they can literally say whatever figures they want and who is to know any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭standardg60

Thought that too, imagine the original cottage was at least dry-lined. At least they didn't go digging up the floor in pursuit of fancy under floor heating revealing a structural issue which had to be sorted!

"I wanna spend some money, but I don't wanna spend a load a money on something no one is ever gonna see"

🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Didn't notice the flooring, but the supplier list mentions polished concrete. So they may have dug up the cottage floor.

You can play with the final budget too. Is it the build cost or the cost with everything right down to the soft furnishings. Some very fancy finishes. Big money in any case, but much better value than last week's. I really feel for that couple.

So do we think that the final bungalow will come in on budget, given that the architects house on great house revival when aired came in slightly under budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Shauna677

The views are utterly amazing but if I had the choice, I would buy a cheaper holiday villa in sunnier climates and not do such expensive renovation on a cliff edge in rain soaked Donegal.

I'm just stunned at the divide that's happening in this country, it must be coming from America and their Dallas type mansions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well to be fair their parents were in Riverdance. Their parents run an Irish dancing school. So it's not really beyond the realms of possibility that they will continue in their parents footsteps (dance steps 😅) if they want to.

You have to laugh really. This programme highlights the absolute scutter that comes out of the architects mouths.

Hugh looks at the finished article and says "looking back, it's the sheer simplicity of the architecture, the natural timbers etc.

Then at the end the architect says "we've really pushed the boundaries of architecture"

Which is it? 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

My comments on My Bungalow Bliss on 15th Dec.

It was a wonderful Architectural design given the financial constraints.

They stated that it cost approx €140k +€350k. I would think it cost more.

Buying property and renovating is an investment only. Was it a good investment- the only way to answer that question- is to offer it for sale.

Congratulations to McCabe Architects.

Well done to Hugh for an enjoyable show.

yeah as much as I love Donegal I wouldnt want a holiday home there as you cant guarantee the weather. Still though when its lashing rain theyve a pretty nice house to cosy up in.

They must be dong pretty well with the dance school to be able to afford all that, I didnt hear any mention of a loan or mortgage either in the program.

• Advertisement
Advertisement