Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I wouldn’t worry about dust around any French machine, I’d much prefer dust to cowshyte.

About 14-18mts ago I sourced a new 420S for a neighbor in Ireland. He paid €98+vat. He told me recently that they’re well over €130k now.

Time to keep the hands off the chèque book. I sourced an L70D with 10500hrs that was fresh off the Volvo gold service contract and is impeccable. Money was right also…€20k + vat. Now I need to source a scraper tractor…

JD 3800, 2010, 6500hrs. €16.5k. Comes with crocodile bucket, bale spike and palet forks

Sent this to a cousin yesterday that failed to find a good 320.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Wow, We're getting shafted over here.

Logistically would there be much of an issue getting a french machine to Irish shores? I assume it could come via Cherbourg to Dublin?

That’s not what it seems. Articulated telescopics are extremely rare here and impossible to sell second hand. Ordinary telescopics are insane money because they’re the weapon of choice in the majority of farms.

That machine is costing €1k + vat landed in Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

Jeez at that money I'd shift a tractor and have one of those in a heartbeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

What makes those jd loaders so good?

have seen a few of them around and only heard good reports on them

I never heard of anyone having one. I was looking for a 320 and this came up. It’s been sitting in the dealers for over a year and he was glad enough to be rid. I suppose that it’s made by another manufacturer and put in JD livery?

I wouldn’t be mad about the visibility either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Bought a 310s jcb 2012, god I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

https://www.donedeal.ie/dairycattle-for-sale/anti-kick-unit/28054772

Came across this on donedeal. Any lad that thinks it's acceptable to use these devices deserves a kick between the 2 eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If you had to go back to the tractor/loader combo it would be like getting your right-hand chopped of by the sounds of it haha

• Advertisement

We had a caterpillar 910 back when I was a young lad, I never could go with a tractor loader after that, suffered most of a decade with a fiat 110 and front loader. Decided never again. Have a sweeper, beet chopper, pallet forks, grab and bucket now. Does alot of work

We had the Clarke Michigan 35B then a 910Cat. Two great loaders. No end to them. Loaded some amount of beet with them. They don’t make them like that anymore…unbreakable!

When you’re used to a shovel nothing else will do. I break out in hives when I see a tractor loader.

You need a lot of work to justify a loader IMO

we’ve only ever had tractor loaders here but a proper loader definitely is a better job

our choice was to always have a good tractor with loader that could do all the work and change every 5 year putting 1200-1400 hrs a year

now we’ve come to a stage where we need bigger hp /more weight but a bigger tractor is too awkward for feeding and cleaning sheds

so which way to we go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭straight

I've a 140 hp tractor with self leveling loader and I leave it in the shed. Prefer to use the 25 year old 80 hp tractor. It has a radio and a heater. That's luxury for me. I was going to buy a shear grab this year but they're 5k for 1.6m. I thought they would only be half that price. Said I'd buy a cow box instead but they're 8k.

Repairs and maintenance on a loader is the biggest negative, plus finding a good dealership that will look after the machine, depreciation was a massive issue too, up until lately compared to a tractor/loader combination....

If you end up buying a pup of a second-hand loader that needs a good bit of spannering it will financially break you, alot less risk with the tractor/loader combo, for example bought a immaculate lm435 new holland 3 years ago with 4000 hours of a arable farm, the loader straight sale not going through the workshop was 25k, I done the deal for 29k, but she needed to go through the workshop and all faults fixed plus 6 months warranty, the dealer had to put 8k into her after once he had went fully through it, they are a money pit for wearing parts

They're not much good for drawing round bales on your own either. It's hard to beat the versatility of a tractor and loader.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Ya should get a demo of a loader for a few days, ya wouldn't be long being able to justify it.

Have a loader here 4 years now, best machine in the yard, all cows, heifers and weanlings feed in 40 minutes, also have narrow sheds that it can get into and clean out.

But as jay said if ya buy a bad 1 it'll break ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I think you just need to talk to anyone that has gone the loader route and they will all say the same thing, there is no going back to a tractor once you've made the jump.

Oh no dispute they’re a better job but you need the level of work there for them to pay for themselves

ive worked in farms previously with them

machinery is just gone to expensive now to not having it working

the option is trade out 5445 mf which is a lovely tractor and buy a bigger 6 series mf and use that for feeding/slurry/ mowing/ drawing bales and still have our 5712 and put it on diet feeder and for cleaning out sheds

Or try but a loader straight second hand, and keep the 2 tractor loaders

i wouldn’t let go of 2 tractors with loaders tbh, we only got there a few years ago and it’s made a massive difference to what work is done when pressure is on

2 tractors and loaders with trailers moves bales fairly quick

Alot of lads buying them cheap Chinese ones now. DGM I think they're called. Guy near here has a red one but it looks very slow around the fields. Seems to be alot of reving/diesel going on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Looks like the massey 50 ex will have to go on for another bit here.a big reason we have it is that we have a tractor and loader as well but the ex does all the sheargrabing but if it packs up we can throw the grab on the tractor loader and the cattle are fed straight away .to be fair to it it has very little trouble given ,it's fast ,and knacky for smaller houses.i see one of them making nearly 10 k the other day at auction.any tidy looking mf ex over in France dawg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Instead of 2 tractors and a loader would ye not do with one tractor and one loader. 21k plus hours here on the 412, wouldn't consider anything else in terms of type, perhaps an artic telescopic.

Straight, on the shear grabs shop around there should be better value. JJ Mahoney in Bantry do good ones but may be a bit heavy for a tractor loader. Came in 1.5k cheaper than redrock for a 6"6 one 4 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

DGM and KAT. A ten year old machine with a decent badge would hold its value better.

Only one of us could draw bales then

we only had a loader on one tractor up until a few years ago, loaders on both has made a big difference

we do a good bit of work here ourselves when you add it all up, if we’ve only one tractor it limits what the other person can be at

Pure madness justifying two loader tractors, for drawing a few hundred bales, is their not any wagon outfits in the area that would come in and do your surplus paddocks etc and put everything into the pit, the savings on plastic alone plus not rooting at bales for the summer would nearly pay the repayments on a telehandler, biggest plus with telehandler for covering pits aswell been able to reach the top with tyres

We’ve a 5 ft sonarol on our 5712

it will split bales and has a removable bucket for meal

best thing I’ve bought in a long time. It’s made feeding very easy, no swapping implements

new slab for 100 acres put in last year

won’t be putting another one for another few years

we’d do 6-800 bales along with it and then 200 straw

it’s not madness, the 2 tractors well pay there way and can do any of our jobs

we still have our bale silage set up which I can’t get dad to part with

our pit silage contractor covers the pit with us, I’d never leave him to go wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,074 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Leaving 2 tractors aside as I can see why u want them but did u ever consider getting someone in to haul bales ….I sold my bale trailer and hire in guy with a 10 bale Wilson chaser ….bar a few bales on home block I’d never draw in another bale again …took some wear and tear off tractor and saved huge time .charges 55 an hour and worth every penny …..I’d still love a jcb 220 ….

• Advertisement

A tractor loader and a skidsteer wouldn't be a bad combo, scrape with the skiddy

I was feeding all cows with the Skidsteer last few years as I absolutely despise tractor loaders

Advertisement