Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Not sure, to be honest. I think the electric single deck buses have been delayed but I don't know if that would account for such a long delay.

This week:

vs a few months ago:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kyriakos

All of the duties on the new C spine where put up for marking in and not a single driver applied for the night service, new drivers just in the job could have got marked in if they wanted , but the duties are so bad no one wants to do them.

No problem getting drivers for the other night shifts, C spine a glimpse of the future perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

I just checked back on the marking-in sheets and 7 out of the 8 advertised duties on the C1/C2, and 6 out of 12 on the C3/4 are now filled. The night shifts won't suit everyone obviously and for those that go on them, they'll be stuck there for years probably.

The problem with the service is the lack of staff in general. All garages are having the same issues, but Ringsend in particular is really badly affected. They lost nearly 40 drivers to Broadstone and Summerhill who moved with the No.1 and the 15A/B. I'm not surprised at all that the C-Spine is falling apart after only 4 days. They should have seen this coming and at least postponed it until the new year.

Post edited by rx8 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Will we expect the N2 to take Blackhorse avenue or Chesterfield avenue? If it starts on Blackhorse, good luck trying to move it to Chesterfield at some later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

This morning at the same time near the same stop one loading with another 30 seconds behind it and another 30 seconds in front of it. The planned for gaps aren't happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Some official boarded the city bound C3 in Lucan (at Woodies) this morning asking the driver what time he left somewhere at so it seems like they’re tracking stuff but I’d have thought that they could do that with GPS records.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This is the schedule for stop 2241 (inbound at Kennelsfort Rd) for tomorrow morning from 06:30 - it’s not as rigid in terms of headway as you may think.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Is there anywhere to see a proper detailed route map with stops for a single bus route on the C Spine or new local routes? The best I can find is on the TFI site where you select route from a drop down, but it's a tiny little map and you can't zoom in much.

Can anyone confirm how the L51 from Adamstown is getting back up on to the Newcastle Road (Lock Road) from Lucan village - the map seems to suggest it will turn right at Courtney's pub, but there is no right turn there. Or is it going to do a lap of Village Green to position itself - this isn't shown on any maps I can see though.

This morning the 6.48 C1 was told it had to wait for 8 minutes in Palmerstown to keep the schedule. Ridiculous - the buses are already going at snail's pace - obviously the timings are way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

I know these are just teething problems, but presumably that bus sat there for 8 mins blocking the bus lane for other busses. A bit farcical, especially if it's at palmerstown as a bus passes there every two minutes anyway.

So far it seems as if the service has actually regressed since the c spine launched. (With the exception of 24hr services).

Hopefully all these issues will eventually be resolved as the general idea of bus connects is a good one. (Especially when we get the associated infrastructure, bus lanes etc. to go along with it).

That sort of thing simply should not happen. Presumably the bus was pretty full too.

There is nothing to be gained by holding a bus for that long at a location such as that.

That’s nothing short of crazy.

You can find individual route maps for any bus route in the country at the link below, with stops marked. Just put the route number in and select it from the list.

Toggle between inbound and outbound to see the stops in each direction.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/getting-around/by-bus/route-maps/

As far as I am aware the L51 eastbound loops around the green in Lucan Village.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that @LXFlyer

The C3 is currently blocking Celbridge village - stuck mounted on the footpath at Castletown Gates at the turn with the Maynooth Road. Could happen anytime of course, but having had the C1 nearly topple over a few mornings now trying to navigate the ridiculous roundabout on Griffeen Road, I think the several drivers are unfamiliar with these routes and are getting caught out at some awkward obstacles.

The routes have all switched garages within Dublin Bus, so while some drivers may have moved too, others won’t.

So there are going to be a large number of drivers new to the routes, which will contribute to a bit of a learning curve. But that doesn’t justify poor schedules.

Incidentally, I would hope it’s a C4 stuck in Celbridge - if it’s a C3 then things are even worse!! :-)

Its the next stop I see them, 2242 but yes they are quite tight together however not as tight as they actually are! Not sure if they have specific departure times they have to wait for at either of these two stops, might explain the bunching if they do. One arrives before the other is gone due to minimal traffic at that hour. However the first morning had two C3s and a C1 nose to tail that shouldn't be possible going by that timetable. This morning I think it was a C2, C3 and a C4 running on top of each other. I'll be going by that same way tomorrow at the same time.

Incidentally this is the 06:48 stop by stop schedule per the TFI app between the terminus and the Quays - is that far slower than before?

If you take the TFI Journey Planner app, select departures on the main menu, put in the time of say 06:30 and a date in the future, and enter 2242 as the stop you can see the full schedule at that or indeed any stop.

DO they have to wait at each stop until the listed departure time if they're early to any of them?

No they have designated stops agreed with the unions as being safe to wait at.

But they have a box above them in the cab which will indicate if they're ahead of schedule, and the idea is that they try to keep as close to the schedule as possible.

The operators are, however, ludicrously measured for punctuality at every single stop which is beyond ridiculous. If they are more than a minute early, or more than six minutes late at any stop then they are penalised financially by the NTA, unless there are valid circumstances.

@LXFlyer re 6.48 C1 - I would get this bus at at St Finian's at 7.01 and previously would get a 25a at about 7.04. I don't know whether it's slower than previous official times but yes it's far slower than reality of the bus just driving in regardless of times as it always used to. You would be at Heuston far quicker than that, - those are ridiculous times from Liffey Valley to Heuston particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

It's the driver's fault not keeping a timetable, assuming they can see how many minutes are given from one stop to another.

Maybe so, but the times are a joke. The buses are crawling along at snail's pace. That is not acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Completely agree, times need to be adjusted. But that's what to be expected. NTA started giving times for each stop just now. This is a normal practise in the mainland for over 2 decades. Ireland started this only now. It definitely will take a good while to iron this out. Nobody paid much attention on how many minutes was taking to make each stop as it didn't matter. Now, for a better customer experience to change buses, exact times for stops is vital. However, will take time to gather data and use it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Bustimes.org is another handy reference, shows the full stop-by-stop timetables, along with a map view showing the route plus all its stops. (You can search for various other operators too, across Ireland and the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, felt a bit sorry for the C4 driver there, that turn is tight enough for cars, it's a real pain for HGVs/buses. The only way around it for them is to go on the wrong side of the road or risk the 0.5m high curb. Very easy to get caught out in the dark if you're unfamiliar with it.

It was a new PA also, hopefully no major damage.

Post edited by Buffman on

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

The L51 does indeed do a loop-de-loop around the village green.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The best aspect of the C spine is that finally now I can get a bus to the city centre and then to the airport for the early morning flights.

I just hope what you say about falling apart doesn't mean an unreliable service where a bus doesn't turn up...

With the outbound C routes moved to a new bus stop on St John's Road West at Heuston, a bit down from the old one (stop 2637), does anyone know if there's any plan to install another shelter for it? An elderly family member found it difficult to wait at the shelter and then rush down to get on the bus (was taken by surprise that stop had been moved up the road). Lots of hospital patients use this stop - a shelter is really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Do drivers not get route training before being assigned to a route? Are the just expected to know it / rec it in their own time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

Yes. Drivers get route training, but the C-Spine operates in an area of the city that most Ringsend Drivers are not familiar with. If you move to a different garage then you must learn the routes yourself if you want to do rest days on any other of the routes in the garage.

If the company move you, then they will train you on the routes you don't know. There was over a month of constant route training on the C-Spine and a lot of drivers were put off by how daunting it was. Hence the large amount who left with their routes to other garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

The L51 towards Adamstown turns left at AIB and right opposite Carroll's and then straight from Dispensary Lane to Adamstown Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Advertisement