Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3 - Tyres

• 02-12-2021 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Am 12k on my 2021 Model 3 (18 inch aeros)

Will more than likely need to change tyres in a while - Has anyone changed their tyres, and if so, what did you go for?

Thanks

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I changed my rears (SR+) at 30,000km, Went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4's, but I went for the non Tesla 'acoustic' versions which are €100 cheaper per tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I think I hear a bit more road noise now coming from the rear alright.

All 4 will be getting replaced in about 10,000 km or so, and I'd debating whether to stump up for the acoustic's... the ones I got previously are now €175

https://www.oponeo.ie/tyre/michelin-pilot-sport-4-235-45-r18-98-y-xl-mfs-zr#363729376

I do however see these PS4 Acoustic's for €211, so they could tempt me. They weren't on Openeo before, and never that cheap anywhere I looked.. only €36 more per corner.

https://www.oponeo.ie/tyre/michelin-pilot-sport-4-235-45-r18-98-y-xl-mfs-zr-t0-acoustic#368818082

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭innrain

I answer my own question. It has T0 on the label which says it is for Tesla.

• Advertisement

I shall be going for them so, great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

there's gotta be something wrong here with 4 tyres for 243€?????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Does it still say that amount when you add four to your basket?

I was looking at tyres last week for my S and went with Primacy 4 due to less rolling resistance which is important in EV driving, quieter too

It was 170 odd last week. But I think it was a sale price. Maybe the link generated too much traffic and they up it.

Edit> I see what you mean. The price is per unit :) Lost in translation

What site is this? I'd be in for 4 of them right now if that was teh price - glitch or not...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

How long are folks getting out of their tyres.

Maybe its my driving or the inclement weather, but I think i've noticed an increase in wheel spin off the line.

Just at 17k done, did the euro test and they seem fine, can find my gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

ive done 13k km and i've noticed more spin off the line - but roads are much greasier than the summer...

am also interested in the duration of factory tyres (got my SR+ in June)

I'm on my 2nd set of rear tyres now (they currently have 15k km on them, and have noticed a few slips here and there when going around certain corners... TC always kicked in though so it never got hairy

I've heard reports your M3 has flames painted down the side.

Thankfully not.. the only stickers on mine are the vinyl number plates...

I honestly can't stand cars being modded with stick on bits etc.... seen a horrendous one in the FB group this morning.. Carbon Fibre'd to within an inch of its life!!!

Tesla, the same as any other manufacturer spends a lot of time & money designing their cars, so I'll stick with their judgement in these matters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wear will be more on a Tesla due to the regenerative braking power recovery, whilst this extends range significantly it does have a wear impact on tyres.

I don't think folk realise exactly how much power is regenerated in a Tesla, over 30% in my cars 82k lifetime

never even thought about the region effect on tyre wear....

The way I'm seeing it is I get 30,000km from the rears, and 60,000km from the fronts, currently at 45,000km and on track for a full change at 60k.

I didn't/don't rotate them (I'll only ever put brand new tyres on the rears of a RWD car). 30k was hit during the summer, and 60k will be hit next summer, so I'll have good thread depth going through winter.

I'd suspect the front tyres would even go to 70,000+ kms if I wanted, but 60k is a nice number for a full set. Theres a lot to be said for no motor/engine on the front axle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Anyone got any good links for tyres recently?

Do Tesla themselves stock tyres?

Tesla do them, but you'll be paying the Tesla premium for the privilege

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Got four recently in Cahir (Eamon Gleeson Tyres - https://www.goldenpages.ie/eamon-gleeson-tyres-ltd-cahir-E21/)

They are a Michelin dealer & approved for Michelin's oft running cashback promotion. They did a great price on the PS4s & supplied the correct invoice so I got the €115 cashback too. They did the 4 wheel alignment & I'd highly recommend them, both Eamon & Niall.

Might help other Tesla owners nearby or passing on the M8.

Keep an eye out on the Michelin website - the cashback promo runs regularly.

Great info thanks @Kramer and @AndyBoBandy

@AndyBoBandy You are buying the tyres online and then having someone local fit them? I tried that before and I could not find a place that would do that, as they all sell tyres themselves (at a markup). Im on 22k now, so was going to replace the 4 of them in the summer.

Yeah, I bought online from Openeo, only got 2 for the rear and had them fitted in my local tyre place (waited til exactly 30,000km to fit), just a small place but they had no issue fitting them. They were aware that Tesla tyres were different, but I said it was grand as I was replacing acoustic tyres with non acoustic ones, and it was fine.

I brought my own jacking pucks, and when finished they hand torqued the nuts up to the (higher than standard) required torque of 175Nm.

Previously they also swapped a set of run flats on my BMW for me.

As I mentioned, I'll probably be doing all 4 this summer when I hit 60,000km, so the plan is to just do the same again. I reckon though I could get the front tyres up to 90,000km if I wanted, as at 49,000km they only look about half worn!! if even that! (They have so little weight on them (SR+), and they do almost no braking whatsoever!)

Is 30,000 significant, like something in the manual?

No, just my OCD......

When the tyres arrived, I was probably about 300km-400km under the 30,000km so figured to wait to change at the 30k mark, as its a nice round figure..

I'm the same with wipers! I bought a new set about 2 weeks ago, but I'll be dammed if I'm not waiting til 50,000km to put them on!! (currently on 49,171km)

What wipers have you got? Not very happy with the OEMs. they kinda leave streaks when not heavy raining.

I just got the wipers from Tesla, I presume they are like for like? They are Bosch.

On the wipers -> Tesla charge a lot more for them, for literally the same thing.

Tesla charge €26 per blade.

I got these below for €36 for both blades.

I believe are the same stock ones the car comes with, just much cheaper and very easy to install.

• Advertisement

Not that I trust the Halfords website but it does say those ones are not compatible with the car.

They are identical to the ones I took off, im fairly sure at the time I got the link from someone on the teslamotorsclub forum who had researched a few.

Super will get some next week thanks. I dont trust their website :)

Got two tyres today as i was working nearby.

https://www.discounttyres.ie near Blanchardstown,

They always stock some of these tyres they said 235 45 ZR 18 98Y

€235 fitted and balanced each. Could definitely have shopped around a bit more but was convenient.

Last year I got 2x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 235/45 R18 98 Y XL, MFS, ZR from Openeo for €166 each, and paid €25 per wheel to fit, so worked out €191 per corner fitted, which I was happy enough with, so will most likely go the same route again this summer.

I see Openeo now have the (T0) Acoustic PS4's for €210 each!! Not sure I can stomach an extra €200 for the 4 acoustic's!!

But just looking again on Openeo;

Why would you take the PS4 over the E Primacy? E Primacy is A rated in fuel compared to the PS4's B rating, and though the PS4 is speed rated to 300km/h compared to the E Primacy's 270km/h, would that ever really matter in the real world, with speed limits? E Primacy is even coming in at 70dB compared to the 'acoustic' PS4's 71dB!

As a side note, Tesla measured my thread depth last week when the car was out with them having the upper control arms replaced and the ball joints re-sealed;

Front's: (49,000km) Driver side: 4.5mm Passenger side: 4.2mm

Rears: (19,000km) Driver side: 3.2mm Passenger side: 3.8mm

Whats the thread depth on new tyres typically? 10mm?

• Advertisement

Not sure, they said i wont need to change my fronts until i need to change those rears again, so another 30k.

That would be 60k on the fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Whats the thread depth on new tyres typically? 10mm?

I think most are around 8mm, except Bridgestone who try and be really eco and only give a reputed 5 or 6mm..😏

Continental Conti Sport Contact 5 ContiSilent - €205 per tyre,

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Acoustic - €225 per tyre

Prices fitted from Tyreland, thought that was fairly decent when looking online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement