Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭covey123

Actually watched a video giving some insight into that today, explains initial high pricing and desirability and its link to pricing very well

https://youtu.be/4LGxrieo5o8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

A blue one sold there yesterday for £2150 and it was like new.Easy access to the used watch market in the uk would make this hobby a hell of lot more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Will they ever open TZ UK up to new members? I feel like I'm missing out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No doubt I'll be corrected if I'm wrong? But I'm fairly sure I saw recently that they are upgrading server/hosting?

So maybe there might be sign ups opening again soon? I know it's only 50 posts over there before you can view the SC. I found it a hard slog to get to 50 posts in 15 months 😲

Seeing the Tudors and their pricing has been interesting as has this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

You need 50 posts on the site and to be a member for 3 months then you can view sales corner. Cant post on sales corner until you are 200+ posts I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

He had blocked any new members fro joining at all for an extended period due to hack attempts. Not sure if he reopened the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

I know what you mean (although even if I managed to register there I would probably only lurk, the same as I do here!). On the register / login page there's a link to e-mail the admin. I did this about 6 weeks ago and got this response:

"Registration is closed because of the number of bogus registrations from Russian and Ukranian bots.  I opened registration a couple of weeks ago and in 36 hours I received 7 genuine registrations and more than 1200 bogus registrations.  I have to check every registration and even if it only takes 10 seconds each, it takes more time than I'm prepared to invest.

Regards,

Eddie"

If you do see it open again for new registrations, share here please!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I tried a few times to join and wasn't able to and believe that it's still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Was someone looking for a Longines HydroConquest over the last few months? I'm sure there was, but can't find the post.

Anyway fullset black quartz model up on TZ that's reduced to £495.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

i know someone looking for the blue model if anyone sees one.. there's an auto on adverts at the moment around 800 which isnt bad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I like the 'not desperate to sell' post, then drops it a 100 quid, I reckon a £350 offer would snag that, shame it's a quartz. Would be handy for grab and go watch or if your wife liked an accurate **** diver.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

G-Shock DW5600E is $35.88 on Amazon.com (you have to tick a box to get $6 off) and comes to $59.81 in total incl shipping and pre-paid taxes. Around €55.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GAYQKY

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Anyone ever bought from creationwatches.com?? Looking at the Seiko in the link. Good bit cheaper than retail. Legit??

https://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-quartz-262/seiko-neo-sports-chronograph-black-dial-quartz-ssb399-ssb399p1-ssb399p-100m-mens-watch-22150.html?currency=EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Yes I've bought from them in the past, think they're located in Singapore. They're legit alright but you will be hit for import duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I rather want a Universal Geneve Compax 'Nina Rindt' 885103/2 chronograph. One recently turned up in Japan but there wasn't time to apply to up my CC limit, and then there's the language thing and trust... bugger. :-(

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k1021356721

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I followed that link and then had to do a search, this popped up

"X250-S18-803 UNIVERSAL GENEVE Universal Geneve Chronograph Men's Quartz Watch Current Product ③ ◎" was exhibited by jlago95877, which has a rating of 751 (98%) on Yahoo! In 03 minutes, it was sold for 1,621,000 yen. Two bids were made within one hour of the end, and the price increased by 1,000 yen. 

That's 16,000 plus taxes and import, 20K or so landed, is that a bargain?, it looks unmolested but has some wabi on it.

Oops, I'm off by an order of magnitude there, its 200K. I got my citizen bn0151 solar diver through this thread for $125 and a friend ferried it over for me.

Pic of said universal geneve

It sold for €13,308. Someone has compiled a sale price chart:

I'd say someone got a bargain. They are definitely not quartz watches. I am hoping to emigrate as soon as I can manage to sell up, so I didn't really want to cop 23%+ on top of that, but the main thing is that, for that sort of money, I'd preferably go inspect it, pick it up and pay in person. The trip pays for itself as it's one legal way to get around VAT and import duty. So with Covid, world travel and the language thing, now unfortunately doesn't seem to be the right time.

Restored, they look a bit nicer:

I'll probably never find one before someone else does, but there's always hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Especially if you use the Airmail rather than the DHL Shipping options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I have used it three times in the last 18 months, and the description of "miscellaneous horological item" along with plain packaging / no box have gotten it through each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Yeah I know but it's best to expect the worst and advise people accordingly.

The last package I had sent from my friendly japaneese proxy service by Japan post, just bounced of portlaoise sorting centre and back to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

How exactly is it legal? To be legally compliant aren't you supposed to declare it?

My bad. If it's on my wrist when I enter the country, you are right, I definitely 'should' declare it. I'll try and remember that, should the situation arise. Now where did I put my passport ... no must be the other pocket ... and where exactly did I park the car ... I wonder if the battery is flat...

If it was Buyee, choose Fedex next time. My last package was returned to Japan twice. CO2 tax on home heating fuel while another arm of govt send packages for an entire, unnecessary circumnavigation of the plant, by air.

I use zenmarket, they've been great for old Nikon lenses and watches. They halted EMS-japan post airmail during Covid and only offered FedEx. FedEx deliver then an invoice comes in the post for the taxes and import.

Currently looking there for a watch my wife that will make my wife happy. I failed twice to satisfy her with surprise watch purchases. There was this horrible incident with a doxa nymph, her expression when I opened the lid on the box was priceless. Back to Norway it went.

This time I took her through the options, a Grand Seiko stgf286 ticks all the boxes. Now it's a race against Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

OK, so it's just straight up tax evasion. I'm not going to be the person standing in a glass house throwing stones but lets be clear the only difference between you and I illegally dodging some tax on the watches we bought abroad which we didn't declare on arrival into Ireland and those who make the headlines for dodging millions in taxes is scale.

I'm not suggesting you fit this category but it always amazes me how members of my own family who do cash in hand and other tax dodging activities frequently give out about Microsoft or Google not paying their fair share of tax.

It reminds me of this George Bernard Shaw exchange:-

Shaw: Madam, would you sleep with me for a million pounds?

Actress: My goodness. Well, I'd certainly think about it.

Shaw: Would you sleep with me for a pound?

Actress: Certainly not! What kind of woman do you think I am?!

Shaw: Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price.

I'll re-read your sermon when I am actually in a position to dodge said taxes. Haven't been so far. For me personally, it's likely moot, because the chances of me finding such a watch and being able to travel before I emigrate are slim.

The government just effectively taxed me 50% - more than double the 23% VAT - on a pair of earphones sent from Japan, by making me pay 3 lots of shipping. But that's ok I guess.

I'm glad you mentioned Apple. The government aided and abetted them in dodging billions in tax. Then they have the nerve to fight it when caught out and try desperately to avoid accepting €13 B when the national debt currently stands at roughly €150,000 per taxpayer. I don't believe the original arrangements or their continued backing of Apple's appeal to be ethical.

"During its investigations, the subcommittee found that Apple considers three key subsidiaries, all based in Ireland, to have no tax jurisdiction at all. One of those Irish affiliates, Apple Sales International (ASI), reported sales income of $74bn over four years but paid hardly any tax. In 2011 ASI had pre-tax earnings of $22bn but paid just $10m in tax, a rate of 0.05%."

"In its Apple study, the Senate panel reported that Apple for the past decade has operated in Ireland with a specially negotiated tax rate of less than 2%, well below the country's 12% statutory rate.

Ray Burke, Michael Collins, Bertie Ahern. I would never presume to hold higher moral standards, when it comes to taxation, than The Irish government, a Taoiseach and elected TD's. Bertie even got an artists exemption on paying any income tax whatsoever on €400,000 in income from his memoirs. How are you an artist when they were written by a ghost writer?

This one's a favourite of mine:

"Twelve EU countries, including Ireland, have blocked a proposed new rule that would have forced multinational companies to reveal how much profit they make and how little tax they pay in each of the 28 member states.

The proposed directive was designed to shine a light on how some of the world’s biggest companies – such as Apple, Facebook and Google – avoid paying an estimated $500bn a year in taxes by shifting their profits from higher-tax countries such as the UK, France and Germany to zero-tax or low-tax jurisdictions including Ireland, Luxembourg and Malta.

Ireland is one of the biggest beneficiaries of the current rules. The country hosts corporate offices that collect revenue and profits generated by many multinational companies across the EU bloc. Ireland allows global technology companies to pay corporation tax at rate as low as 6.25%, compared with 19% in the UK.

Ireland’s decision to vote against the proposed directive – which would have forced companies to report their revenues and profits on a country-by-country basis – came as the Irish tax-and-spending watchdog warned that the country’s economy could collapse if there was a global clampdown on tax avoidance." https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/nov/28/12-eu-states-reject-move-to-expose-companies-tax-avoidance

This country earns a substantial part of it's living by facilitating tax avoidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

It’s good to see people disagreeing and it not be Fitz & CT .Makes a nice change .

• Advertisement

It's early days.

Advertisement