Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky News being added to Saorview

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I have been comparing Sky News on Saorview with same channel on Freeview and PQ looks very similar. I have Sky News on satellite but it is HD not SD so can't really compare.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes it's SD 704x576 25i 16:9

Average Bitrate varies 2007 ( 1507 - 2684)

Audio in English only no surprise. Teletext subtitles on 888

BTW at 23:59 last night there was a 2 minute program called Viewer Advisory with Info of : Sky News The transmitter frequency being used by your Television equipment will cease transmission on 3rd March 2020. To continue viewing Sorview please retune your Television before that date.

On my TV,the picture looking its super imposed onto the 2RN test card

There is an interference bar running down it that looks like a rectangle of increased brightness

Thats very sloppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I can't see that on my side, is it along the edges?

I was watching when the channel went live and it faded from the static Sky News logo to the live broadcast, it wasn't just a cut. Audio came first and then the video a few seconds later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Here's another comparison. Same screengrab, top one from Saorview bottom from FTA satellite. Same equipment used in both. The resolution is also the same.

The text and logo on the Saorview version has jagged edges and is clearly darker. There is definitely some problem with encoding or downscaling the image for Saorview.

Saorview:

FTA satellite:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's watchable but the quality isn't great, whatever rescaling process they're using is bad

Has anyone reported it to 2RN? Might be something they could look into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

When I looked at the Sky News logo on the ticker on the bottom left; it looks pixelated. On the Irish version of Sky News on FTA Satellite; the logo looks fine on the ticker.

What a disappointment looking at it from my setup.

I have contacted Saorview and 2RN. Suggest others do the same while it's a fresh issue - otherwise we could be looking at this for years!

They made a resolution change this morning and could have missed something I suppose.

Its a brightness the length of the screen like a bar running down the screen top to bottom in a repeating loop

Its definitely a fault and not on the sat version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Antenna

I'm not near a TV now but it sounds like 50Hz mains hum. The very slight difference between 50Hz of the ESB electrical supply and the 50Hz refresh of the picture causes it to slowly drift up or down. It could be an issue with your own TV, have you seen it on another TV?

BTW unrelated question - how much of a delay is there going from FTA satellite to Saorview for Sky News Ireland?

Post edited by Antenna on

It was a bit glitchy for the first hour and kept dropping back. At one stage it was about 3 or 4 seconds behind satellite but it's less than a second now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,578 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's handy being beside RTE Radio One.

The quality of the picture is not really an issue for me watching news programming, if it was a movie I'd want better.

The effect is on all tv's and only sky news saorview

Ahhh... do you mean this?

This is part of the Sky News graphic design. It's meant to be there. It moves from top to bottom slowly during some screens as shown below.

Bit of a chunk of the picture is also cut off at the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭swoofer

Just had a quick look, not bad its 704 x 576, better than 544 x 576.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The picture looks as if it's being put through some unnecessary extra layer of processing with the resulting effect of line-shifting. Like a photocopy of a photocopy.

I can get a better picture from my 20-year old satellite receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Just had a look at it, it's not bad, I've seen worse, like Virgin Media channels, if that edging could be fixed on the text, it would be OK for standard definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

A lot of dense people on twitter are saying WHY ARE SAORVIEW GIVING US SKY NEWS, NOT FRANCE 24,EURONEWS or CNN ! Facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'd actually prefer any of those on HD.

But beggers can't be choosers.

Hopefully the PQ will be corrected, and there will be more channels top follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Comparing to what I see on youtube it seems to be zoomed in a little, so there's an 'inch' or 2 missing around the circumference.

and there will be more channels top follow

Couple of problems with that - they will only do it if the advertising pays for it and they make money on top plus plus surely cross border licencing comes into effect as well. The more channels eating in to the adertising revenue is gonna affect the Irish stations. I see Sky News is running some Irish ads but mainly Sky promo ads

Not sure how it works with Sky at the mo - maybe someone else is more in the know?

Would love to see more channels on Saorview, the likes of C4 are very receptive to the Irish audience allowing online playback (with Irish ads) unlike the BBC where its a big no no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Picture quality is abysmal. It is the worst on all of Saorview and that is some achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's definitely better than virgin media channels... SD is a pity though...

Still same when I checked earlier. It could be much better, a simple tweak is all that's needed. Very annoying to watch it on a larger screen.

I wonder if their systems are all setup for SD channels at the lower resolution - and this higher resolution has messed something up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ITV and BBC only offer content to UK licence holders. Which is why Freesat / Freeview isn't offered here except as unavoidable overspill remember they used to encrypt it.

C4 doesn't get license fee monies even though it's owned by the UK Govt. So they've no such problems.

MUX 2 Bitrates 24Mb/s Sky News is magenta in the chart at the bottom ( Via 2RN see also mux 1 )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I've looked at it again, this might sound a contradiction in terms, but the picture quality, leaving out the text, is actually not bad, definitely better than Virgin channels. However, text and scrolling ticker bars are a big part of a news channel. Of course full HD is the answer, but Sky will keep HD for subscribers and Virgin are just cheap skates who won't pay up for HD, I am surprised though at TG4, being state subsidised and part funded by RTE, that they aren't in HD on Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭jrmb

I know it's because those channels haven't paid to be carried, but given RTÉ's involvement in Euronews and the strong Irish connection to France 24, it would make sense for them to be included in some way.

I've been watching the YouTube feed on my TV for a while, and the Saorview feed is strikingly low-res on the same screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

Has anyone heard back from 2RN/Saorview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Black / Green screen here on channel 23 Sky News .. not a great start, problems after 3 days broadcasting on Saorview ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

It's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Hylus83

The picture now seems to be improved / less pixelated looking than it was on first launch. Looks like they may have done something this evening? Anyone else notice this improved picture?

Looks just as bad to me

They've fixed the picture size tho, don't know when they did that, so its not cut off at the top etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

In my experience, the likes of 2rn/Saorview/RTE tend not to reply to queries from the general public.

They did reply to me on a couple of occasions, once with a DAB issue and another with an unexpected outage on a relay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 wysara

Call them on the telephone. Difficult to not reply to someone when they're on the telephone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Only learnt today about sky News being on Saorview after my brother tuned into it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭timothydec77

Nice to see it on Saorview.

But i can only feel that it is 10 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Just wondering are Sky using there Freeview NI feed for Saorview .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

They have an ROI feed already that they're using (AFAIK) - this would be the feed used on sky in Ireland already...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

Yes, Having Sky news on board 10 years ago would have been a great selling point for Saorview when comparing it to the then outgoing 3 or 4 channel land analogue service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Great to a have a news channel on in the morning, even if it is sky; it's very annoying that both France 24 and Euronews, replaced by Infomercials and radio one, bought go off the air on saorview just as most people would be waking up.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

If you are streaming a firestick is great for these news channels and you can even get Sky News in full HD free.

I’d say the main issue is Sky News’ graphic and ident package is very much designed for HD only. That scan line they included in the recent refresh is extremely annoying though. It always makes me feel like there’s something wrong with the TV as you get this analogue style line moving down the graphics all the time. It looks ok in HD and awful in SD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I just noticed the other day I can press the microphone button on my Fire Stick remote and just say Sky News, it will turn on the tv and start streaming it from the app with no other input.

Advertisement