Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you sing Oh Holy Night without changing key?

Options
  • 27-11-2021 11:58pm

I sing in the shower only, and my voice varies from sh1te when the asthma strikes to resonant. I’ve attended music teachers who have verified I at least have an ear, though I see it stuck on to my head in the mirror.

Each Christmas I live to hear “Oh Holy Night” and try to karaoke it alongside. Sometimes my vocals have sadly required me to change key, this year I noticed I can go through the lot in one key, and even the cat doesn’t raise a whisker.

Anyone else struggled with this epic Christmas choone, or had the cat left the building already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yes! I can. Although not a high singer.

I too live for hearing it -- so that I can put in the low harmony on the chorus.

The only time I've ever been breathalysed was when I was driving along one Christmas evening, singing Oh Holy Night and trying to put in the harmony at the same time - it's actually impossible, but I hear it in my head.

Apparently it could also be heard outside the car...windows were a bit open -- a large Guard waved me down and handed me a little blowpipe, with some grim-faced instructions. I gave them a cheery greeting in return, gotta spread the seasonal goodwill!

Verdict: Nil alcohol. Max eccentric!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

If no key is an acceptable key, then yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Will you try Vienna by ultravox next and let me know how it goes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

On a side note I came across a version by Eagles of Death Metal....on seeing I thought this isn't going to end well...it's actually quite a pleasant version 😊

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

I think Ronan Collins still does a different version of Oh Holy Night each day coming up to Christmas itself, but it is becoming a little #unwoke and this tradition will surely become a thing of the past.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Religious content. Look at Late Late Toy Show, almost no nod to Christmas, studiously avoiding any Christmas themed song.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ronan Collins show follows a direct Christian call to prayer... so this isn't going to happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The toy show had last Christmas playing in the intro. The themed toy show era is a way to shoe horn product placement and earn money. Not a religious thing.

Even Apple Music are heavily pushing a covers album with O Holy Night on it and Americans are much more “woke” than us Irish folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Well done on stretching your range, @[Deleted User]. Do you suppose the breath control it takes to sustain a song may help the asthma, in the long run?

I don''t seem (as a soprano) to have a problem with Oh Holy Night (I just checked, lol), but one Christmas hymn that tests my range is Angels We Have Heard on High - those GLORIA'S span the distance (high to low in 3 bars) - it's a bit too quick for my vocal chords to transition to the low notes smoothly, without practice.

Gloria is vocal gymnastics in the extreme. Ronan Collins now has a different Oh Holy Night on every day and interesting to see how it’s tackled by the different artists.

Advertisement