Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Can you sing Oh Holy Night without changing key?

• 27-11-2021 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭ recode the site

I sing in the shower only, and my voice varies from sh1te when the asthma strikes to resonant. I’ve attended music teachers who have verified I at least have an ear, though I see it stuck on to my head in the mirror.

Each Christmas I live to hear “Oh Holy Night” and try to karaoke it alongside. Sometimes my vocals have sadly required me to change key, this year I noticed I can go through the lot in one key, and even the cat doesn’t raise a whisker.

Anyone else struggled with this epic Christmas choone, or had the cat left the building already?

Do one thing every day that scares you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭ TRS30

If no key is an acceptable key, then yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,099 ✭✭✭✭ Ash.J.Williams

Will you try Vienna by ultravox next and let me know how it goes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭ CrowdedHouse

On a side note I came across a version by Eagles of Death Metal....on seeing I thought this isn't going to end well...it's actually quite a pleasant version 😊

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭ recode the site

• Advertisement

I think Ronan Collins still does a different version of Oh Holy Night each day coming up to Christmas itself, but it is becoming a little #unwoke and this tradition will surely become a thing of the past.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc

Religious content. Look at Late Late Toy Show, almost no nod to Christmas, studiously avoiding any Christmas themed song.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 62,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011

Ronan Collins show follows a direct Christian call to prayer... so this isn't going to happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Loughc

The toy show had last Christmas playing in the intro. The themed toy show era is a way to shoe horn product placement and earn money. Not a religious thing.

Even Apple Music are heavily pushing a covers album with O Holy Night on it and Americans are much more “woke” than us Irish folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭ Deja Boo

Well done on stretching your range, @recode the site. Do you suppose the breath control it takes to sustain a song may help the asthma, in the long run?

I don''t seem (as a soprano) to have a problem with Oh Holy Night (I just checked, lol), but one Christmas hymn that tests my range is Angels We Have Heard on High - those GLORIA'S span the distance (high to low in 3 bars) - it's a bit too quick for my vocal chords to transition to the low notes smoothly, without practice.

Gloria is vocal gymnastics in the extreme. Ronan Collins now has a different Oh Holy Night on every day and interesting to see how it’s tackled by the different artists.

Advertisement