Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,404 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I didn't know Trevor McDonald was the new Gamesmaster, haha! That's brilliant.

Was kind of hoping it would be Dave Perry though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

are you saying he's got a big head...

Master of the Universe

I was watching one of his GamesAnimalTV shows there recently on youtube, and he was saying that they originally wanted a child/baby to be the Gamesmaster. They then settled on Patrick Moore because they reckon his head looked like a giant babies head during the screen test.

Looking back, I can kind of see what he meant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hey all,

Anyone have recent experience ordering from Zavvi. What were delivery times like ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Fairly alright. Make sure you order from the .ie portal and not the UK one. If you get hit with customs contact customer services and they'll refund you for the charge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought it might be better to ask here than elsewhere but has anyone fixed the usb port on a XBox One controller before? Mine got very loose and tried to fix it and now won't connect. I need it for Pc games.

Really, really hate the mini USB standard, it causes nothing but trouble.

Edit: I'm just going to buy a charging kit, they are cheap enough.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Unless you are going wireless with it, the charging kit USB doesn't connect the Xbox One controller to the PC... as far as I know...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Master of the Universe

Anyone else immediately think of this whenever the new Covid varient is mentioned??

I honestly keep thinking of the Transformer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I keep thinking, it's Omicron, not Omnicron :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

All I thought of was Futurama

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Omega will be the last ever variant of concern, because there will be no survivors after that...

Also, if they do run out of Greek and Latin numbers in the coming year, does that mean that other languages will get a look in?

Will it then be conditional on where they are isolated?

"Covid Ceathar, first isolated in Spiddal Co. Galway is on the increase in Brazil...."

Master of the Universe

Missed Christmas opportunity to go with German and call it eleven/Elf!

Listening to retronauts doing the anniversaries for 2001 and 1991 this year and christ those were two amazing years for games. And then compare that to the boring of 2011 (well handheld and indie were great that year).

2001 really sticks out in my mind. I used to always say the PS2 had a slow start but one year after its release it was pretty much essential (I bought one myself that christmas). Compare that to the PS4 and PS5. Not only was it a stellar year for games but also a really exciting time with the Dreamcast having a great year but failing, PS2 offering up a lot of new experiences, PS1 still getting amazing releases, the XBox and GC arriving on the scene with great launch line ups and PC.... well PC was in a nadir and losing out big time to the consoles but still getting some big releases like Op Flash and Max Payne.

Master of the Universe

Just looking through the big hitters in 2001, that was some year alright!

GTA 3, Halo, Max Payne, Silent Hill 2, FF X, MGS2, Smash Bros Melee, Luigis Mansion, ICO, DMC, Advance Wars, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Golden Sun, Black & White (flop that it was!) Shenmue 2, Pikmin, Super Monkey Ball

And the ones in bold being completely new IPs too. Amazing stuff.

GBA as well. Plenty of great Gameboy colour and GBA games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Can't forget The Simpsons Road Rage...right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Advance Wars wasn't a new IP, it was the first western release of a game in the Famicom Wars series.

Broken record here but always found it overrated. Kind of a poor mans crazy taxi saved by the voice cast being involved and some decent jokes now and again. It's the 7/10 it's rated om metacritic but still a decent 7/10.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Holy ****, mind blown! Never heard of the Famicom Wars series at all.

I think this is a pretty great quote that can be applied to retrogames except for one thing:

It forgets to mention that nothing has ever looked as good or will ever look as good as ps1 and Saturn 2D games.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I know you said 2D, but had to drop that in there!

Such a classic meme that Square Enix used it to promote the recent remaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Watched the first episode of the new Gamesmaster the other night... it's not so bad!

Ok random question here but as my soldering skills have improved a lot over the past few years, I've finally decided to bite the bullet and hard mod my original Xbox. I have an OpenXenium GOLD on the way to me for that express purpose.

Trouble is... I appear to have lost the case screws a few years ago (it's an original Crystal model) and I'd like to put it back together properly at home point.

So... anybody know anywhere online that I could get replacement screws? I found one place in the UK but after tax and postage it brings it from like €4 to over €20 and I'm not paying that just for some screws.

Would any of you even have any spare on the offchance? I know it's a bit random but I just thought I'd ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I might have some around here somewhere, will have a look in a mo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

You've clearly never played the glorious Mighty no 9

Thanks. I had forgotten about that until now and now I'll be beating myself up all day for backing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Since this is the off topic thread, and I'm sure a good few of you are handy with a soldering iron. Just wondering if any of you good people would have gift ideas for a 16 year old who is loving circuits and soldering deelies at school in technology. We have nothing at present so would be starting from scratch. Cheers.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement