Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber frame vs. concrete built

2»

Comments

awec wrote: »

The only real annoyance for me is you've to take more care when hanging things on the wall, but it's minor.
    awec wrote: »
    I didn't say there were issues, just that it is not as straightforward as block, especially if you're hanging something heavy (like a mirror or a TV).

My wife and I have bought a timber frame house that is due to be ready in December.
    Can anyone shed more light on the issues with hanging things on the walls.
    For example, we might want to hang a tv off of a wall in a room, and also put up paintings, photos, etc.
    Is it a simple case of tapping against the wall to find a beam before getting out the hammer?
    I think that the thing that gets screwed into the wall for an arm for supporting a tv is usually 4 or 5 inches wide. Are the beams in a stud wall that big?

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My wife and I have bought a timber frame house that is due to be ready in December.
    For example, we might want to hang a tv off of a wall in a room, and also put up paintings, photos, etc.
    Is it a simple case of tapping against the wall to find a beam before getting out the hammer?
    I think that the thing that gets screwed into the wall for an arm for supporting a tv is usually 4 or 5 inches wide. Are the beams in a stud wall that big?

You won't detect studs by tapping. You can buy stud detector devices, that you move across the wall and they beep when they go over a stud. Usually they'll also have functions to detect pipes and live electrical cabling, so it's worth getting one if your house has stud walls.

For hanging heavier items, like TVs or large mirrors, ideally you'd find the studs and screw into those. But it's not always possible because the studs might not be in the location you need, or you might be able to hit 1 or 2 studs, but you need 4 or 6 fixings.

In which case, you can get special plasterboard fixings. Woodies etc sell them. There is a variety of them for all different weights of items. This will let you fix to the wall but not have to hit a stud.

You should check with your builder. They may not be using timber stud partitions. I have metal stud partitions in mine which apparently require opening the wall up to mount a heavy TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 M1andM2

Hello,

I am trying to narrow down the selection of Timber Frame companies and was wondering if there was any recommendations since? Please PM any suggestions, any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Get a piece of ply across studs if its a really heavy TV and there are no studs near the mount, then use hollow wall anchors with the setting tool through the ply and plasterboard. If it's not a huge TV(thinking like 70+ now days), a couple of bigger hollow anchors will hold it anyway.

Sound proofing is a seriously complex topic, sound is quite varied in itself so there is no one stop solution to fix any issue. In theory modern houses should be better at stopping most higher frequency sound due to their airtightness but worse at stopping lower frequencies due to less mass in the wood and insulation compared to a solid block wall. But again there are ways to reduce or increase that, so it's a moot point really.

Advertisement