Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Walked it yesterday evening. Nice quiet walk. The ~€4Million bridge is nice 😳.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Cost of that Heath Robinson route. Good lord. Just follow the existing track

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Answers to my 2 questions in this weeks Westmeath Indo 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭rn

Took a spin down to Hudson Bay Hotel yesterday. Those new walks are indeed pay for use. Booking required.

Seems the hotel have purchased the land beyond the hotel and golf course and plan to develop it for echo tourism. These two walks are the first steps on this. Haven't done them myself yet, but I see the fee for a family ticket is €14 for a 6.5km walk... Over 2 loops I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TMOrules

Hi, Ive been looking at buying a house in athlone. So far ive looked at properties in Drumaconn, woodville and monksland. Can anyone advise on the best areas to live in athlone?

• Advertisement

3-4 bed semis right? Monksland is better value as it's outside the county boundary after the border war of 2015. Need a car or alot of time on your hands for the bus to get around though.

If money's no object, check out Hosdon Bay or Barrymore

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Woodville looks like a really nice estate, prices seem to be shooting up though. Houses are quite big, celtic tiger builds (well just pre 2000), so alot of wasted space, they will not build them like that anymore, i'd say developers could have gotten another 30-40 houses in there if they had tightened them up in terms of space.

Barrymore would be Athlone 4, rubbing shoulders with the great and the good of Athlone, lol. Coosan probably the "Howth" of Athlone.

Post edited by rn on

Monksland is a good spot and is served by both bus routes so you have a bus every 15 minutes

Echo that, monksland has matured well in the last few years and is better value. To be fair both sides of Athlone estates well serviced with shops, bus routes and schools.

One thing on new housing estates is that they tend to start nice, go up a bit and then go down after 10-15 years, before coming back up again after 20.

Of course the down side of buying in more mature estates tends to be the houses badly need upgrading in terms of heat performance and style... And they're often not priced that way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 TMOrules

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Barrymore is known as "Borrowmore", Its actually quite a dysfuntional area, Lots of Litigation between "Neighbours" and generally an unfriendly place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Coosan ? Have you driven around the "The Glen" recently, It's basically a slum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

What a load of rubbish. Know some of the nicest folks out in Barrymore. Its a lovely spot. Often go walking with friends I know out there and one thing that struck me is the amount of people who would stop and say hello. Don't know much about it being a dysfunctional area, I think theres a pre conception about it due to it being perceived as an affluent area.

Generally unfriendly place to live it is not, if money was no object i'd live out there in a heartbeat,

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Jesus thats harsh! Good few preconceptions on display there I think i.e money/nice house = being unfriendly.

Also this is Ireland, litigation between neighbours is rife, between family members even. Or even worse than litigation when it comes to property/land.

The entire Kiltoom area is a nice parish in fairness, good community, of which Barrymore is the most expensive place to buy.

I can say this view is not generally representative of that area of Athlone. Not saying your view is false or invalid, but perhaps coloured by your own personal bias.

Barrymore is a nice area of Athlone, I wouldn't say the nicest... And I know a lot of lovely people in that area who I'd be delighted to have as neighbours.

Bit of tumbleweed on this forum. Saddens me but makes me understand why the town gets so few touring artists and entertainment to stop by. Alot of nothing going on. Anyway, random story....

The Shack is a great place for food and a pint. But good lord do they overdo the "Olde Worlde" marketing

Check out the phone number prefix on their receipt. 0902!!!!

For those young enough or new enough to town not to know, that was changed to 09064 in 2002-2003 timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Just on the tumbleweed thing- I blame much of that on the sheer lack of usability of Boards since they moved platforms, rather than on a lack of interest in the topic. On my mobile device, it takes 15-20 seconds for a page to load and that's ridiculous in this day and age.

I see this 'tumbleweed' across all the threads I'm interested in- previously good, vibrant discussions strangled by terrible tech.

Sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Barrymore is a nice area but do people consider it part of Athlone?

It must be 3mile outside the town,if someone asked me about places to live in Athlone town I'd never have thought of Barrymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Agreed. It sits within the speed limited area, marked as Hodson Bay, and is deffo in Co. Roscommon, unlike Athlone's schizophrenic relationship with RN & WH . I'd say 4+ mikes from Barrymore to town centre. A bit like saying Glasson is in Athlone, really.

Where will that kind of address creep end,I ask! 🤔😨😱

• Advertisement

I'd definitely consider it part of Athlone. Sure large part of Athlone is in Roscommon. The likes of forest Mill and barley fields estates are nearly as far from the town centre than barrymore.

Yeah agree. A testament to the saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I hear Gerties is reopening under new management, the Loughmans retire?. A favourite spot of mine back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is it closed? Was very much open a couple of weeks ago when I was there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Just saw on their page on fb was wondering if there was any local info maybe it's just being handed over while open

Announced on facebook, reopening Monday 8th November at four Gertie browns

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ceirseach

Anyone know whats story with Lynchs Toyota in Baylough. All their used cars are gone.

They've had not much stock for the past 8 weeks as the back was empty. I wonder have they just moved what they had to back compound.

It's the same story in the Ford garage and in Michael Moore vw regarding second hand cars. Michael Moore used car lot is padded out with unreged new cars when I was there 2 weeks ago.

Anyone use the covid test centre in athlone gaa club?

Is it a drive thru or walk in one?

Madness that athlone doesn't have a full time test centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Don’t know as luckily have had no need to use it, it’s only open for a week even though Westmeath has the highest Covid levels in the country now. Such a pity as Athlone had been doing so well over the pandemic, I’m beginning to think there may be something in this ‘Herd Immunity’ after all.

Advertisement