Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

The building is for contractors, not staff, so no confidentiality risks there. I believe the contractors are involved in construction work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭rn

Serious amount of office space for them on top of the other old factory they've been occupying for last number of years. That alexion build seems to be going on for years... By comparison as to how fast jazz was built and put into operation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Old question I know but "The Wine Lodge" any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭rje66

Yes. Very

Wineport Lodge is excellent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Probably too late for you now, but Grogans in Glasson have a side room. Can't remember how many it can hold but food there is always great.

I'd say I'm in the minority here, but I've found Wineport to be average. Always get the impression people go there because it was on d'telly more than anything else.

Disappointed with grogans food last few times I was in it. It has such a great rep and the food was only OK. Now it was pre pandemic...

It was 3 years ago since I was in the wineport for a big birthday bash and food was excellent that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A good few board-up jobs seen in estates in and around town lately. Going to go out on a limb and assume squats and dens were occurring there

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

Tumbleweeds here lads!! I'll get something started....

Anyone know when the road works are going to start in Irishtown, where O'Neills pub used to be? I drive passed every week and see the beautiful signs up but no sign of work!!

Also, any word on when the work at the crescent is gonna start, through the bus depot out to the hospital? Again, that was supposed to be completed by 2023 according to the original plans but thats looking unlikely now, still no sign of any work goin on!!

I have absolutely no idea, but it's looking like any start dates, belong in fantasyland

• Advertisement

What premises were the pills dressed up as toys at

Just did a bit of digging and found this link

Ground Investigation works commenced on Mardyke St, Sean Costello St and Pump Lane on the 29th of September 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭lucalux

The mail centre I'd imagine. They "were destined for an address in Dublin".

Despite a LOT of vocal bad press on social media about the parade being organised for Sunday instead of St Patricks day, I think it's fair to say, in hindsight, it was a huge success. Huge crowd and most broadly happy from my straw pole.

I think it probably should revert to St Patricks day though next year.

I would only have two criticisms. First by time parade made it to East Side of Athlone, it was very spread out. And second it was entirely Westmeath focused. Would have been nice to see a roscommon side floats and organisations represented

I really think Paddys day should be Paddys day, including the parade. The one year one doesn't have to get up the next day for a 9-5 job and it's moved to a Sunday. Would have caught it Thursday.

It really cements Athlones's second-class status that we have to move the parade because the floats have better options on the big day.

As for the Roscommon side stuff... well they didn't want to be part of Westmeath a few years back so (hot take admittedly) maybe this wasn't forgotten by the town council.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Mullingar doesn't even have a parade anymore

Poor aul Grove is no more. Wonder if they'll rebuild. Most of the businesses there had been doing an ok trade. My conspiracy theory glasses haven't been as paranoid as they were with Charlie's.

Ya very unfortunate. Afaik from articles the bar is OK, the lounge is smoke damaged and will need complete renovation.

Glass half full...They might see it as an opportunity to modernise the place a bit, needed a lick of paint a long while. Most of Baylough the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Most of the west side the same way. From the town bridge out to Monksland is fairly dilapidated, apart from a small section around the castle. Similar story in so many towns and villages across the country.

• Advertisement

That was main argument against ATC getting monksland. Their track record west of Shannon is sh!t. Now not that RCC record in monksland is stellar either. It's been milked to provide disproportionately benefitial services to RCC and Roscommon town. But RCC have seriously upped their game in last 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Great memories of nights out in the Grove back in the day Celtic Rock

Mushroom

"devil among the tailors"

197?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There must be some long game serial pub arsonist in Athlone. O'Neills, then Charlies and now The Grove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cturley6

Can anyone tell me if there’s any houses to rent in Athlone? 2-3 bedrooms, market is impossible right now really struggling have tried everything

Between the regulation and tenants being (overall) a gigantic pita, landlords who are 50 50 have long left the market. Its kind of a shame but it works both ways, i've been screwed by tenant and landlord classes in my years and am happy to not have to be in this market any more. 90% are grand in both cases but again, the other 10 ruin it for the rest.

All that said, best of luck in the search. Some new builds are going into the market here so supply should somewhat increase

Can anyone recommend an installer for EV home chargers? Ive taken the plunge recently and have a Leaf on order, but want to get the house charger sorted before delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Not sure about the new builds coming into the market. The crowd beside the sports centre have gone bust I think, and the crowd beside the rugby club have stopped building and handing back deposits.

Really worrying times for anyone trying to get a place to live (rent or buy) in Athlone.

I heard that, that deposits returned. Very strange times, when we desperately need accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Simply put, it costs too much to build. I could build 2 houses out where I am, and sell them, or rent them, but before I put a key in the front door I'd be in serious negative equity. I'd need about 275k to break even. Nobody is going to build to break even. Said house would need to sell for 325 to 335 before any builders worth their salt would touch it. And frankly no modest semi d in athlone is worth that sort of money. It's crazy stuff

Builders are stopping because the finance doesn't stack up. Donoghue isn't proceeding with the estate beside B&Q for this very reason.

Advertisement