Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

Living in n Lucan and got booklet in door this week re the changes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm so disappointed with the C1 timetable. It's very poor. Other than extension to running a few buses through the night which will benefit a small number of people, there's an overall reduction in service during core hours. Particularly on a Saturday, which is much reduced, but also longer than 30 minutes frequency at times Mon-Fri. Unacceptable. Especially so when adding Adamstown to the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

C1 and C2 will have more early morning buses for people going to work to town from 6 and 7 am. There were lots of people left in bus stops before covid at these early hours.

In the middle of day 30mins frequency is ok and makes sense, especially with added L routes. There's a very little difference between C1 and C2. It still will have a combined midday frequency 15mins. I would expect some adjustments in future, when Adamstown gets bigger.

Saturday, I agree, it could have been done better (25mins vs new 30mins).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Are you a frequent C1 user? Doesn't sound like you are that familiar with the route tbh. I disagree with your analysis on all points, as someone who relies on it for multiple journeys in each direction per day, including between 6 and 7am where there's an increase of 1 bus. The L routes will not reduce pressure on the C1 in any way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I suspect that the W6 will be timed to connect with the C4, should it be curtailed to Celbridge, but as I say it's also possible that they may retain the C4 to/from Maynooth. We will have to wait and see next summer.

I totally agree that the dissemination of information now immediately prior to the launch has been terrible.

But, the basic information of planned routes and service levels was pretty clear when it went out for consultation in 2019 (I am ignoring the original version as that was beyond disastrous), and also when the final network was published in 2020.

Here's the frequency guide: https://busconnects.ie/media/1988/a3-frequency-tables-061020-fa.pdf which clearly shows the 30 minute frequency to/from Maynooth on each of the C3 and W6.

• Advertisement

In simple terms what are the precise issues that you have, and what were you expecting?

I will correct you on one point. There are currently five 25a buses departing the terminus at Supervalu between 06:00 and 06:59. Allowing for the additional journey time from Adamstown, there will now be seven C1 departures - that's two extra buses, from Arthur Griffith Park inwards during that period, and not one, which is when the capacity issues arose was it not? During the same time period, there are currently four 25b departures between 06:00 and 06:59, and now there will be seven C2 departures.

The frequency of the C1 and C2 are precisely what the was said they would be when the plan was published in 2019 and the final version in 2020 - including Saturdays. The Saturday drop on the C1/C2 was clear when the plan was published in 2020 - https://busconnects.ie/media/1988/a3-frequency-tables-061020-fa.pdf

There are only a few instances of gaps of 33 minutes Mon-Fri and that's just at the terminus. They will close up as the routes are being scheduled to try and give even headways from Woodies inwards between the four C-Spine routes combined, and on the C1/C2 combined from Foxborough inwards.

I think that you are probably a little off the mark in saying that the L routes will make absolutely no difference to the C1. The L53 was added in the final version of the plan and it will reduce pressure on both the C1 and C2 west of Liffey Valley as people making the local journey to the shopping centre may use that bus instead particularly as it takes a more direct route, thus freeing up seats on both the C1 and C2. I accept that it doesn't mean increased frequency on the unique part of the C1 between Griffeen Road and Arthur Griffith Park, but it should free up some seats on the C1 buses serving those stops.

It is fair to say that a lot of the Saturday traffic on the 25a/25b is between Lucan and Liffey Valley, rather than it all being to/from the city, and both the L51 and L53 will take up some of that slack in the general area both taking more direct routes.

I do take your point that frequencies on the routes replacing the 25a/25b or 66 and 67 are not massively increasing, but I suspect that you may have had incorrect expectations, as that was never ever part of the BusConnects plan.

What BusConnects is about is:

• Extending operating hours;
    • Increasing frequencies at the margins, especially in the mornings
    • Integrating timetables to deliver consistent headways along the spines (thereby spreading loads out more evenly)
    • Introducing new local and orbital routes which may (my emphasis) reduce the numbers of people needing to travel through the city centre

In fact the original plan was to reduce the number of buses to/from the city centre across the network, and it took people power to reverse that.

With any network redesign there are going to be winners and losers - it's never going to be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Currently I'm just an occasional C user but used to take it every day to work in city centre for a year a few years back. My shifts were from 6am to 3pm, from 7am to 4pm and from 8am to 5pm as well as from 9am to 6pm. The latter was the best to commute due to most of the choice and less crowded buses. For 6am there were just a few buses starting in Lucan between 5 and 6am. While after 7am there are X buses and more frequent all others.

L will help, but insignificantly. Some people instead of C will take L routes to Liffey Valley or Fonthill Industrial Estate. It will give a better capacity for C routes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭p_haugh

So the new flag poles have already begun to be put up, along with the new timetables for the C-Spine routes - potentially going to cause some confusing for the next few days!

There is now at last a piece on the BusConnects website on the C Spine launch.

BUT, I am still staggered that there are no simple explainers for places such as River Forest and Castletown that are losing their direct bus to the city as to how people should now make their journey.

At the very least I’d expect a combined hybrid timetable showing which buses to get and where to change and a clear map.

Many people don’t use journey planners or have online apps.

It will probably come as no surprise to many here that having looked at the potential connection locations and the full stop-by-stop timetables that the connections work and don’t work in equal measure.

I expect a lot of confusion about this, and anger when people have waits of 15-18 minutes for connections when once they had a direct bus!

Similarly all of the Express routes no longer serve Baggot Street or Waterloo Road, going via Pembroke Street and Leeson Street, but that certainly isn’t clear from any of the literature.

Plus, T-5 days away and I still have no idea how I’m supposed to know when to ask for the short fare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Some of the info from a BusConnects briefing to councillors shared by a Councillor in the Lucan area (via a Facebook group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/lucanliving/permalink/940738373194683/?sfnsn=mo&ref=share

An excerpt of the info shared in relation to the C2 routing not serving Shackleton just yet:

The 25 route is GONE as of the 28th. But for now C2 cannot go as far as Shackleton/Dodsboro area. The X30 peak route will be available at peaks times but for some weeks anyone living in this part of west Lucan is being asked to get the L51 L52 to the village and get a C3 or C4 during off peak times. Fares will be integrated so no additional cost.

The issue with the C2 going as far as Lidl is not the road beyond it, it is the LACK OF A SAFE TURNING SPACE. BusConnects has been liaising with the developers to get a turning point near Lidl, however there has been no clarity on this yet.

In addition, the 51 and 52 cannot use Adamstown Boulevard as of now, but this is expected to be open IN A MATTER OF WEEKS. At this point, if the turning area beside Lidl for the C2 is not sorted, the C2 may be diverted up the Boulevard to do a loop around, but no final decision has been made. It will not go the station until the road past Lidl is completed, which is not on a timeframe at this stage.

According to BusConnects: "We have plans to run C2 through Shackleton as soon as we can and are Hoping to get the local buses on the Boulevard as soon as possible. We are talking to developers. There is less certainty in relation to Shackleton. We need somewhere for the bus to turn around safely. We have asked for a temporary turning area near Lidl. The possibility of doing something temporary by the Boulevard is being looked at but there are issues in terms of being able to run up and down the same road along the route so we are looking at a single route. We are very eager to get the proper C2 route as early as we can".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭john boye

A new stop has been installed in Townsend St (behind the Garda Station) which already has C-spine stop-specific timetables and updated times for the 1 and 15A/B. Credit where it's due, I saw a stance man there too explaining the changes to a couple of people who seemed a bit confused looking at the info.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've put new poles up at both sets of stops. So they've actually added a new stop within short sight of an existing one - when there was lots of hope that this would actually be reduced!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Thoroughly impressed with the 24hr service offered by the c spine. Would hope the A,B,D,E and F spines offer the same level. If they did I'd dare say Dublin actually had good night time public transport, even in comparison to continental cities.

Amazed at how quiet the taxi industry is. If the main spines have this service 40% of their trade evaporates.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Most of their trade has evaporated already tbh.

The taxi industry is dodgy in the extreme and I'll shed no tears for it.

Life ain't always empty.

If they are at the entrance to housing estates, how far could people have to walk to the entrance to the estate in the first place - sometimes stops might seem to be closer on the main road than they ought, but when you look at the potential walking distance from the furthest house in the estate to the entrance then it can be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I wasn't defending the taxi industry, a demise that is well deserved. A shower of entitled so and sos. Even when there was a few busy nights a few weeks ago they reverted to their good old selves, flag one down and they have the doors locked, want to know where you're going first. I wave them on and wait for a non cheeky one, a small minority. If it was me I'd legislate for letting uber do as they please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Not that I've gone out that late often since pandemic but I've been able to use the year old 39A 24 hr service every time to come home saving up to 30 quid each time. I rarely got the Nitelink previously as your whole night involved timing it to a 2am or 4am departure on Westmoreland St which could be half an hour walk from where you were drinking/clubbing. The 30 minute interval services throughout the night with pick ups all along the city centre and quays really is a game changer and will probably be one of the immediate benefits to many to the new C spine services. (As soon as the current midnight nightlife curfew ends!)

Another useful change on many of the cross-city routes is that the last departure from the terminus now continues cross-city rather than terminating in the city centre, which means a service passing through the city around midnight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are, but estates with either surprisingly good internal walkways to reduce distance, or bloody awful ones so it doesn't really help many people. Was absolutely sure the single-sider would go, but obviously not.

For some people it'll make this stop a bit closer than the previous closest that was actually two stops earlier, due to the route going around a corner. So a shorter trip and a slight extension of where the short fare gets you! Which isn't even Celbridge, though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There would still be people using late night taxis but this will definitely put a massive dent in the taxi industry.

Why are they not up in arms? Rolling out the new 24hr routes one by one probably dampened any resistance from the taxi industry. Initially there were just two, then three, now seven (four at a lower frequency) and soon there will be over 10. I'd say if they announced that many night routes at once, we would have seen a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Don't get me wrong , the nighttime service is amazing and as someone who gets one around 1am (and there does be good numbers on the 39a at that time outbound past blanch centre) it's great and is well used.

But the stand out thing for me, and ive witnessed it and it's mentioned on the d15 forum by others , is that there are 39as heading into the city close to full at around 5am , 6am on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Mainly construction workers. It's amazing how much a big difference it's made.

It goes to show that for those areas not 24 hour or changed by busconnects, they're out of date and need updating ASAP . Some of those areas may be waiting years to be switched to bus connects and could do with earlier weekend services now

I don't think that you will see additional 24 hour routes happening outside of the BusConnects rollout.

Remember that you do need additional drivers to run them, and that they need additional PSO grant funding.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Obviously the focus for now is to rollout the Busconnects route. But once complete, I wouldn't be surprised if people in other areas see the success of it and demand the same for their areas from their politicians.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a future BusConnects 2, just like Luas Cross City.

Do you mean 24 hour routes or what exactly are you referring to?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A bit of both. BusConnects won’t be the final word in bus network changes. The city will continue to grow and change and I’m sure there will continue to be tweaks and additions to the network once it is complete.

Oh of course, but I think that will be of a more localised form, in response to:

• potentially certain elements of the plan not working (I’m thinking where direct links are replaced by poor connections and it potentially just doesn’t work);
    • increased frequency on very low frequency routes where it doesn’t meet demand adequately;
    • new developments arriving (Cherrywood certainly springs to mind);
    • or (hopefully!) DART+ being rolled out.

I can’t see another fundamental review happening for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

I cant understand why they put bus stops right before traffic lights. (I'm referring to the new outbound bus stop for the C spine on Tara Street). It's about 10 meters before the traffic lights, all that does is delay busses, as they wait for busses at the stop to finish boarding passengers. (Needless delaying imo, I was hopeful that bus connects would eliminate issues like this).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I really hope that BC is not the final envisioned state of bus services in the city. There needs to be a willingness to adapt to to service demands rather than any ideological commitment to some clockface frequency and a reluctance to adjust services for fear of changes to such frequencies. We're already seeing that with the C-spine there's actually no changes to service frequencies at the busiest times of the day along the core trunk before services split.

• Advertisement

Some of the on-street information rollout for the changes tomorrow is now bordering on an absolute farce.

The NTA clearly have have not got a clue about how to do this properly, and have in my opinion zero quality control.

The best/worst that I’ve heard of so far is the new style TFI bus stop for southbound Dublin Bus routes on Westland Row being physically installed on the wrong side of the road (i.e. it is on the northbound side).

A map has been published on the website showing incorrect routings and the interactive map doesn’t work properly.

I am aware of one bus stop panel that has timetables for one spine route missing.

Far more importantly, no route descriptions are provided at all on the timetables at bus stops. Some stops have linear maps showing the routes, but the vast majority in the city centre don’t. This becomes all the more relevant by what follows.

Routes C1 & C2 have timetable panels inbound that very helpfully tell prospective passengers that the buses are heading “Towards St. John’s Church”, but nothing else. There are at least 11 churches that this could be in or around Dublin. Utterly useless info for anyone who isn’t aware that it’s in Sandymount.

Outbound the C3 is going “Towards Hayfield” on the timetable panels and the X25 “Towards Kingsbury” despite both terminating at the same stop in Maynooth. The X30 outbound timetables tell prospective customers that it goes “Towards The Paddocks Drive”. Useless info again. It’s actually Dodsboro in Lucan.

There are now two separate bus stops at stops numbered 400 and two numbered 7588 on Pearse Street with bus routes split between them, and similarly two stops numbered 350 on Townsend St.

There are two stops numbered 317 on Westmoreland St, a small distance apart, both labelled for the 26 and 70N. Which one is to use I don’t know.

All of the new N4 Express routes serve stop 7587 on Pearse Street, but the stop doesn’t indicate this at all. There is one exception, the X31 which for some unknown reason serves stop 400 instead. This means the X31 and X32 are shown as deviating from one another on the linear map at their terminus on Earslfort Terrace.

Neither of the stops opposite Pearse St Garda Station tell you where to go now instead to catch the new routes.

None of the timetable panels have any information about the new fares and I still am not sure when to go to the driver for the short fare. In fact when to go to the driver and when to use the right hand validator isn’t explained anywhere either.

Some regional/intercity routes have been branded on bus stop flags as being Dublin Bus routes.

Add to that, the last L59 on Saturdays leaves Hazelhatch at 23:28, two minutes before the last train from Heuston arrives at 23:30. That’s before we even talk about how some of certain connections have, at certain times of the day, either excessively long waits or are far too tightly timed, where people used to have a direct bus.

You could not make any of this up.

It is actually almost worse than the drastically poor information rollout of Network Direct phase 1 by DB twelve years ago - DB and GAI have upped their game significantly in this regard and a lot of this good work is now being undone by the NTA in this rollout.

Ideology has been put before basic practical customer information and there are so many mistakes in the information on street that it is shocking.

I am beyond angry at the level of incompetence on display here by the NTA. Utterly shambolic.

Advertisement