Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Omicron variant

• 26-11-2021 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭

I don't see a thread on this. I think it probably deserves one.

Anyone care to have first go?

Can we tweak our way out of this if the current vaccines lose sufficient efficacy?

How long before we would be up and running?

Edit:changed the title to The Omicron variant (needs apparently must)

Post edited by amandstu on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,709 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Panic and lockdown awaits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Wouldn't worry about it to much, probably turn out to be another Kent variant

• Registered Users Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Panic!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Dobbo on News at One a short while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's a Nature article on the variant and what's known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

Its brand spanking Nu

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That's actually a Greek letter and likely to be the name of the variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Must be Christmas time again!

I'm not panicking yet. Let's see how the data shakes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Too early to say anything yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Needs more information as to transmission and severity of resulting illness. I will wait and see, but am hopeful it is not a dangerous mutation at all.

The cynic in me suggests that something needed to be done to nip the world's complacency re Covid in the bud or something. Keep them on their toes and locked up in permanent uncertainty or something.

bollocks.

on a friday as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wait, you're insinuating it's made up? Not even a full page on this and there's this ****, although unsurprising in fairness, already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

AAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The most pertinent question is what level of illness it causes. None of the articles, even the one in Nature, have done more than barely touched on this aspect. If it's highly transmissible, evades immunity but doesn't cause as severe illness as the other variants currently doing the rounds, then it's much less of a concern. So it's just too early to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭amandstu

@Spanish Eyes

"The cynic in me suggests that something needed to be done to nip the world's complacency re Covid in the bud or something. Keep them on their toes and locked up in permanent uncertainty or something."

Seriously???? Any suspects?Mandela?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The more apt name for this variant for those that can still stomach listening to this radio station....

"nustalk variant"

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Half sorry I started the thread now (unless I am in the loop of course)

Some people are unable to detect irony in my post it seems..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I remember some expert saying that the Indian variant (delta) was actually in Ireland 2/3 months before we even started talking about it. He said they were simply not testing for it at the time.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Well you should be clearer. This is a public forum .If I misinterpreted ,so will others .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Local transmission suspected in Belgium case... I don't think this will be contained, just hoping it doesn't outcompete Delta and that the current vaccine protection doesn't get too greatly reduced.

Might be great if it did out compete Delta and was significantly less clinically harmful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not quite. Even if that gain of fucntion stuff were true and that's currently more than a bit of a stretch, how it might evolve in the wild would have pretty much nothing to do with that. Contrary to popular belief a highly deadly virus is a crap virus as far as the virus' evolutionary success is concerned. The strain that would win Virus of the Year among it's peers would be a virus that had a very high transmissibility rate, with few or no obvious symptoms and the ability to spread asymptomatically, quietly reproducing in our bodies without killing the host at least at first. The Epstein Barr virus is a good example of a human virus that does just that. Something like over 90% of people in the western world have antibodies to it. On the other hand Ebola would be looked down upon when viruses have a christmas party. Too dramatic, only really transmissable when the infected are looking fierce sick altogether and kills most of its hosts.

If we look at pandemics in history they always fade away. Either because they've infected everyone and run out of hosts, or they become less deadly with time. Or both.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Their problem and yours so. I will not take orders from a quasi mod. Report me whatever. Mountains and molehills come to mind, and the NU has only just been identified, God love us all in the days and weeks to come so.

Hm,will just have to take note for future reference(if any)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Due to the incubation time of covid-19 and the relative high % of people who are asymptomatic, I have no doubt in my mind the Nu variant is in most major cities now. closing borders is too late. For now, we just need to wait and pray this isn't a vaccine dodging variant, which is unlikely as the RNA vaccine boast the ability to block variants too.

All I'll say is this, if you are not vaccinated, get your @ss down to the nearest centre and get the jab.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Due to the incubation time of covid-19 and the relative high % of people who are asymptomatic, I have no doubt in my mind the Nu variant is in most major cities now.

Maybe, just as likely maybe not. the Average incubation time for the Alpha variant was 5-6 days with 1% up to 14 days. The later doubly infectious Delta actually has a shortened incubation period of 3-4 days and an even smaller percentage of longer than that. If this Nu variant is even more transmissable because of a higher viral load again than Delta its incubation period is likely to be shorter again, or similar. Until we know for sure anything else is panic merchant territory.

For now, we just need to wait and pray this isn't a vaccine dodging variant, which is unlikely as the RNA vaccine boast the ability to block variants too.

Correction, all the current vaccines(as does immunity from previous infection), not just the mRNA versions boosts the ability to block variants. Indeed J&J a non mRNA vaccine showed a stronger response to Delta in the South African study.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Advertisement