Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Does anyone have a handy solution for scheduling downloads in Firefox / Chrome? I already have Steam etc that have built in schedules / limits configured but I need to download some stuff thru a browser between 1 and 7.

I tell ye, Imagine knew what they were doing when they set off peak to these times, absolute pain to stay up and kick stuff off when you've work in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭mossie

Hi.

I made a huge error earlier when in the settings of my imagine router, I disabled DHCP and WiFi and now I cannot access the internet at all, presumably because my devices can't get an IP address. How can I get around this?

Post edited by mossie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Dero

Assuming you have a PC/laptop and an Ethernet cable, you could set a static IP address on it in the same range as the router and connect it directly. That should allow you to load the router config page and re-enable DHCP & WiFi.

Thanks. I tried this without success, in the end I had to call Imagine and they reset from their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭rodge123

The usual rubbish from them this morning.

“Hi, as we continue to optimise and improve your 5G ready broadband experience, engineers will be conducting OTA (over the air) software, firmware and optimization updates to your local broadband service on Monday 4th of October between 09:00 and 17:00. Although unlikely, these updates may affect your broadband connection temporarily during this time - thanks, imagine.”

There is nothing unlikely about it, nearly every single time they do this it results in a very dodgy service for a number of hours.

it’s completely unusable the last hour and impossible to get my work done.

Why on earth it is done during office hours is beyond me, surely it could be done remotely before people are online working from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

I didn't get that text but mine is down in cork and was trying to figure out what was wrong wasted about 30 minutes checking different things

Looks like their DNS has up and keeled over.

Down for the past 2 1/2 hours there til I decided to start screwing with settings rather than just rebooting the modem.

On the plus side whatever was causing strict NAT when I put the DNS in manually on the router I'm bridging to has fixed itself 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Currently feels like a throwback to the 1990 dial-up land - a webpage takes ** minutes ** to load.

• Advertisement

Web pages are loading fine for me right now

They have been sluggish at times before but not at the moment

Current speed is around 70 to 80 mark Barrackcroghan mast north wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Was on a web chat with imagine support about getting a free equipment upgrade scheduled and asked them about the daily download cap that has been talked about a few times in these threads (searching for search functionality on "new" look boards...). 20GB before people were experiencing throttling and the like, myself too.

Support today confirmed to me that there is no daily download cap. Its the 1TB monthly as in the fair use policy. Well, they first said it was 20GB per day until i challenged them on the fair use policy.

Will be re-enabling the auto updates on my games consoles, downloading during the day etc and see how confirmed it actually is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wouldn't trust them at all. No matter what they say on the phone I would still expect to be thottled by them. AFAIK they did remove the 20GB, but was repalced with some calc - if you were more than twice the average on the mast, you'd get throttled. I was done on days I had downloaded 15GB or so, not even 20.

delighted to be shot of them and their terrible service. delighted to now be able to watch a movie or play a game without worrying if it will impact my ability to actually work from home later on in the day.

Absolutely hate Imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Dero

I wouldn't trust them either, but it will be interesting to see in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

Good bye Imagine FOREVER. I am not going to rant too much but all I can say is the tech support and customer service from Imagine in the last 18months has been nothing short of terrible.

They did an "upgrade" to my mast about 9 weeks ago which basically left us with little to no service. After calling them and informing them of the issue through a long conversation with tech support who tried to fob me off the "tier 2" team got the escalation and confirmed there was a major issue on the mast.

Fast forward 2 weeks and a crew comes out to reinstall the receiver that has been in the same location for 3 years. No improvement. The best part is they do an OTA update a week later which fixes it. But Imagine being Imagine do another OTA update the following week making the service unusable again.

Previously during the day my speeds would be 120 down and 3 up. Evening speeds would be sub 9mb down and 1mb up.

Monday the 11th of Oct I finally had enough and decided to give Elon €500. My order was a direct order so no waiting. Fast forward to Wednesday and I get an email from Starlink saying my order has been sent. Monday the 18th it arrived and its been mindblowing. Speeds have been fantastic, pings even better. Online gaming?? No problem. We have been heavily using it since we got it to try put it under load and it has been amazing. My average speed is above 300mb down and 30+ up. I have had download speeds in excess of 400mb and uploads close to 50mb.

It has been such a game changer and honestly has been such an easy process. Open the app check to see if you have obstructions. Place the dish and plug and play.

Anyone like me that wont see the NBP for another 2+ years and works from home/wants finally a good solution I would recommend you give starlink a shot. Its expensive upfront but worth it.

I have included a speed test of my average numbers.

Now just to wait 30+ days for imagine to take their kit back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭wassie

Welcome back to the 21st century! Great result......and you didnt rant too much considering that pain you have been through. Nice speeds to boot.

Also worth keeping in mind if others are still having issues with Imagine and can get a half decent mobile signal outside it may be worth revisiting 4G mobile broadband again. External antennas can also achieve amazing results.

A lot of the 4G network has seen significant upgrades over the last 18 months due to the pandemic. I used to have rubbish Eir service, but last year trialed them out after noticing my phone signal was decent outside and have been getting 90/40 consistantly all day long for €30/month.

You could potentially try all 3 main players at the same time (VF, Eir & Three) and cancel them all within 14 day cooling off if none are any good. A week is more than enough to try them out. I even trialed EIRs 5G broadband plan concurrently with my 4G service last month (as now out of contract and on a rolling 30 day plan), but didnt have a strong enough signal so cancelled it and no harm done.

Only caveat is you must sign up online in order to cancel within the 14 day cooling off period guaranteed under law. If you do it in-store, then the statutory cooling off period doesnt apply.

• Advertisement

Imagine are OK if you are not having problems

They're one stopgap

The Sat option looks cool but like imagine,I'd like to see it running for a year or more before judging

Exactly, for some Imagine are the only real option unfortunately. To be fair I have had few issues and generally these have been resolved quickly. NBI are estimating late 2023 or early 2024 and starlink is too expensive so it's Imagine or nothing for me

Those are great results, what latitude are you at? It might get patchier farther up the north of the country. Been keeping an eye on the starlink thread myself - imagine has been fine here but ye cant keep all your eggs in 1 basket with these WISPs.

Funny given all the whinging wisps did about the NBP fiber and the Americans literally swoop over our skies with this in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

53.7 Latitude. I have had Imagine for years at the beginning they were great. As time went on and the mast got busy it just got worse and worse. The last 18months have been terrible to be honest. Outages, low sppeds, high pings, unusable in the evenings, unusable if someone is uploading something etc etc. Early days for Starlink but its alot better in all departments so far.

The vast vast majority, 99% of people are not going to pay 500 quid for equipment and 100 a month

Wisps and Isp's know this so don't care about musk

Wisps do care about 29 euro a month fibre though

Its a genuine threat threat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My biggest issue with then is sending those bloody high usage warnings at 700gb and shaming you saying average use is X. There's another 300gb to go and only days left to the end of the month. F O with that nonsense !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That is very annoying, the tone of the messages is extremely poor.

Like how dare you attempt to use all of the data allowance that you are paying for!

I would generally agree, but when there's a good chunk of people staring down the barrel of a 5 year wait for said fiber its gonna start playing on their minds I'd wager. I know its playing on mine and Imagine isnt near as bad for me as some people in this thread.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Obviously people are going to look at any potential alternative , but Starlink is massively expensive - ~€1800 for the 1st year of service is just mental.

And who knows what the service will be like if it actually gets loaded up with users - Just like Imagine when they 1st launch it seems pretty decent , but then they oversell it and latency and contention just kill you. And if they don't load it up then most people may not even be able to sign up even if they wanted to sadly.

Is their DNS gone into glue again ?

Very slow page loading

Speed test is good

Ping not so great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

hey Guys by chance are any of ye on imagine around Killavullen how have ye got on with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭vidapura

Anyone tacked a mesh router onto the Imagine one lately?

Is there much hassle doing it? Turning off the imagine wifi etc?

Any recommendations for a mesh system ?

Looking at TP-Link Deco M9 ??

I have had a Netgear Mesh system going for a good while now.

Depending on the age of your imagine kit you might need to get it replaced - In my case the original router etc. was about 3 years old and didn't support Bridge mode so I had to pay a one off €100 fee to have them come out and replace the kit. No new contract or anything.

They will give you a login to the Router to switch it to Bridge mode and switch off the Wifi , they also look for you to send them an email acknowledging that you are aware of the security risks of using your own router.

After that it's all fairly straightforward to be honest.

• Advertisement

Brilliant, thanks.

Which netgear did you go for .. the wifi 6 one of them looks pretty expensive... RBK853.. but I suppose its triband and should last well into the future...

I read somewhere that the Eero one wouldn't work with Irish/Uk providers cos it doesn't support some protocol.. dunno if anyone knows about that?

I got the RBK53S with two satellites - I've had mine for about 18 months at at this stage.

Certainly for Imagine , it's WAY over spec for the speeds available and frankly even for FTTH that we might eventually get it's still more than most will ever need.

The Wifi 6 is great , but it's not worth the more than double price compared to the older version.

Asked the lads installing the new equipment but they wouldnt give me the credentials to log into the new router. I asked them to set it in bridged mode and disable their wifi. They disabled the wifi alright but still getting double NAT on xbox so maybe not in bridged mode....

Using cheap'n'cheerful(ish) Tenda MW3 mesh which has been fine for the last 2+ years. As imagine speeds are rarely >90 mb not bothered too much about upgrading to something beefier.

Yeah , they would only give me the login to switch to bridge mode once I had sent them an email accepting that they wouldn't take responsibility for any security related issues in future.

I had to send them the below email , they then gave me the login info

To whom it may concern I wish to request that my modem be set to Bridge mode so that I may use my own Router equipment.

I recognise and accept any security related risks that may occur as a result of this change

I was on chat with Imagine yesterday.

They had no recommendations as to which system to get but checked and said my old router does support bridging.

Usual story, give em a shout when I want it..

Then, last night, a nice lad off freecycle handed me a roll of 100m of CAT6 cable.. so I'm thinkin I might just run cables now...heh...

I'm getting me attic redone soon so will have opportunity to run cables all over the place.. (its a bungalow) .. and drop em down into rooms... before I put the floor down.

this is interesting... whats this all about?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's some strange phrasing. "Entitled" is a loaded term.

Also, the price of €29.99 has an asterisk indicating a footnote, but there's no footnote on the page. It seems you have to give them your details to find out what it's about.

Hmm.

Yah.. its about people like me who were promised NBP connection by March 2022 and are now told it will be at least October 2022.

There was a big hoo haa about it in the Business Post.

What are they doing for their 3Billion euros? Feck all!!

I would bet that Imagine of course will not be making that price available to us mugs who are already customer.

I filled in my email to get further info and have heard nothing...

I can literally see a house across two fields away that has Eir fiber.. and the useless hoors wont come the extra 300 yards...

• Advertisement

The top of page announcement with no link to for the * small print and their coverage checker wont accept my email address. Says it all really..

its an introductory offer only, €29.99 for 6 months and then back up to full whack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

This man seems to be made for politics and sponsorship.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40752114.html

Conor McManus: 'Every team in the country was probably training. We were one of that got caught'

The three-time All-Star ultimately believes that breaking the GAA’s Covid-19 regulations by training collectively last spring will go down as just another oddity in a “mad, crazy time”.

“We all got back to some form of normality in our lives in the last number of weeks and months, there was a full championship played out, there were 40 or 50,000 in Croke Park,” said McManus, speaking at an event to promote Imagine Broadband’s high-speed broadband network.

The Irish Examiner adds....

- Conor McManus was speaking courtesy of Imagine Broadband. Supporting the national broadband plan, Imagine continue to rapidly expand its high-speed broadband network, prioritising the 200,000 rural homes that are currently facing significant broadband delays — check your coverage at imagine.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

Would anyone know if I could reuse the external antenna that imagine use ? It’s still up on a pole outside and I’m using a 4g modem at present with a sim . I asked at the time for imagine to organise taking away equipment but they never followed up afterwards.

I don’t know if the antenna needs power and that’s why it’s a rj45 for poe power .

it has a rj45 at end of cable ,would need a ts9 connection, had a quick google and with a few different adapters I could get to a ts9 but would I be wasting my time if the unit needs power ?

any thoughts much appreciated, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

It is not just external antenna, it is external modem with the SIM card in it.

ps. No , you can’t use your own SIM card with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

How strict are they on the 1TB data allowance? Seems very little for a full month? Thinking of signing up but I work from home 5 days a week and throttling the service would make it impossible.

Very.

It's 1TB of peak traffic. Any usage between 1am and 7am isn't counted towards the total.

If you go over 700Gb they send you a snotty/threatening email. If you break the 1TB limit twice, on the second time you are permanently limited to 1Mb/s , forever.

No post in nearly 3 weeks ?

Not working or barely working for me tonight anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Perhaps a lot of Imagine customers have moved onto FTTH or Starlink. This thread is noticeably quieter since Starlink went live.

Probably a lot to do with the boards.ie update too. Most forums / threads have lost a lot of users since that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement