Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 5 and Eir 5G

Options
  • 19-04-2021 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

does anyone know if Google Pixel 5 works with Eir 5g and wifi calling?

I don't have those services available to me even though the pixel 5 has those specs.

I have been on to their 1st and 2nd line support twice now and also had my Sim card replaced in store.

Noone in Eir seems to know either way.

Their view is that 5g would be available to any and all 5g handsets regardless of make or model.

Anyone got this working?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Eir do not list Pixels as working with their WiFi calling

https://m.eir.ie/support/mobile/eir-wifi-calling/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I can't say for eir but I do know that Three had to work with Google to have 5G enabled for the Pixel 5 and 4a 5G

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tazb

anyone have an update on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pw-ski

I have P5 and have same story with support so it might be the case that 5G is not available for this phone

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

I got a Pixel 5 earlier this year and got an Eir 5G sim plan for it and ended up giving it back to Eir within the cooling off period as I could not get 5G on it even though i was in city centre 100 yards from the mast

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

Looks like pixel 6 is suffering same issues with no 5g.

Anyone find any solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Eir chat and store telling me all 5G phones are supported while Google doesn't have Eir listed as a supported network in Ireland. I really doubt it will be fixed tbh seeing how it looks like even the older pixel phones are still without 5G on eir's network. If anyone has better luck than me dealing with them post here thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tazb

Ive got a new Pixel 5a 5G but cant get 5G on it. Starngely I get very good LTE which is amost double speed of an Eir 5G iphone.

My APN has MCC 272 and MNC 03 whereas Eir recomends 353 and blank and the pixel requires 2 or 3 digit MNC. Can someone comment Please

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Capt. Insano

Just got my Pixel 6 Pro and found this thread when searching for a reason why 5G was not working.

Same issue here regarding an inability to correctly change APN settings.

LTE only works, what a balls

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Is there any Google forum where we can ask them when they will support 5G in eir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I'm fairly certain that's on Eir, they will likely have to whitelist it on their network. I raised hell last year with Three to get the OnePlus devices whitelisted for 5G (Three forum, customer support, Twitter) and eventually it happened. Your best bet is to push it with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭opus

I contacted them on Twitter but they just kept repeating that it should work. Gave up in the end as I'm only using a GoMo SIM so don't have much leverage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Eir says that Google hasn't yet certified the Pixels for 5G on their network, there's nothing on the eir network stopping it from working

This is the suggestion I got on the Google forums -

I suggest you use your phone to send feedback directly to Google regarding your preference for Eir to be added as a provider of 5G coverage:

Go to Settings > About phone > now tap on "Send feedback about this device." Type your feedback.

Although you will not receive a reply unless additional input is needed, be assured that the development team does make use of the information they receive via this feedback mechanism. 

and google says it's on Eir side... I think good to keep asking both companies so maybe they enable it finally

Funny the different stories we all get. Google support told me it was on their side & the support person said they would pass on my feedback to the higher-ups.

I was advised to fill below form and request 5G support for google pixel 5G phones

https://www.eir.ie/support/online-forms/mobile-log-a-complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Just submitted mine and I will do the same each day until they sort it, can everyone else do the same?

GoMo SIM and Pixel 6 Pro owner here as well and no 5G!?

Now, I had 5G in many many places around Dublin when the same GoMo SIM was in my S21 Ultra. Same thing when the same GoMo SIM was in my Poco F3 5G so what the fook is up with the same SIM in my Pixel 6 Pro and no 5G!?

Tested today in a location (work) that I previously got 5G in when using the Poco and no way would anything other then LTE show on the Pixel 6 Pro!? :-(

Frustrated for sure but I am gonna keep pestering them via the feedback option on the phone....if they block me so be it! I will send one message and one message only per day....worth a try sure!

M

• Advertisement

I just contacted GoMo using this page - https://gomo.ie/contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭wassie

Feedback left with both Eir & Google as above

Thanks for the heads up @opus & @pw-ski.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

same issue with Pixel 5 - I also left feedback with Eir and Google

Eir called me about 15 mins ago. I was on a work call on Teams so couldn't talk for long but he said it was being escalated higher up!

I am a GoMo customer but still raised it with both Eir and GoMo....I doubt very much GoMo will call me............

Submitted feedback to Google again today on the phone itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭wassie

Same call here. Hopefully real action is being taken and not just lip service.

Please God! I will complain\raise a ticket if they don't come back to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Just sent in one also, will see what comes of it. They already appear to have made a mess of my first bill also adding the 5G plan to an existing account and mucking it all up. never a dull moment when you change anything with eir, when things are working they are great but once something goes wrong it's luck and lots of time wasted getting the right person to help resolve it.

I was passing an Eir shop on Saturday in the Ilac centre and was very tempted to go into them and raise the issue but I didn't. Probably not much they could do, right!?

Eir called me the other day after I submitted the form and they told me that they are aware of the issue and that they are escalating they could not tell me when the issue would be resolved. I say let's keep submitting the form every week or so until we get an answer.

• Advertisement

Just got email back from EIR blaming Google see below , I had a case open with Google so I am putting this back to Google.

Love the blamestorming that goes on between companies. the key thing is that THE CUSTOMER is getting a bad experience. whoever is at fault, talk to eachother and work at fixing it ! #rantover

"Thank you for taking my call on Friday.

There is the update below from our network & coverage team.

Google have not certified our 5G network so unfortunately 5G is not activated on their handsets for eir SIMs. Our networks teams have been trying to initiate this with google

Apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Advertisement