Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Pixel 5 and Eir 5G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Has nothing to do with Eir as can only be sorted by Google. You are spot on in that I got a PFO from Comreg very quickly with a suggestion to open a case with the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission which I did as well.

The advice from a Google support chat is to keep sending feedback via the phone (in the About Phone) in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Redwid

Just for information.

Migrated from three to eir, and never seen 5G connection on my Pixel 5.

It worked for sure on three (for additional payment of course), and I've seen speed up to 400MBps at that time :(

And a PFO from the CCPC as well today, think I've exhausted my ideas 🙁

Will keep sending feedback from the phone in any case.

Looks like eir is not in a list of plmn in google pixel 5.

For Ireland only Three and Vodafone presents there:

{code}

<plmn_list name="plmn_h3g-ie">272-02 272-05</plmn_list>

<plmn_list name="plmn_vodafone nl">204-04</plmn_list>

{code}

Where eir/meteor has mcc: 272-03: https://www.mcc-mnc.com/

Not sure but might be that is a switch to have 5G or not.

Source:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/video-tutorial-how-to-enable-5g-for-unlisted-countries-on-pixel-4a-5g-and-pixel-5-using-qpst.4243129/

https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=1002545&st=1900#entry106300633

A possible solution is to file a group lawsuit against Google?

They selling Pixel 5 as 5G device in Ireland, but not a all mobiles operators supported by Pixel 5.

And no information available which is supported and which is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭wassie

Google have a 5G phone, but not all Irish networks support it, so your solution is a class action lawsuit against Google?

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Wild some of the stuff you read on here...

My Pixel 5 working just fine on my 4G Gomo 10er a month, don't really care if they never get 5G tbh...

Not quite, rather than support 5G, Google only allow access onto 'whitelisted' networks for their own reasons. It's nothing to do with Eir nor can they fix it. Hence why Google support keep telling people to send feedback from the phone asking for Eir/GoMo to be allowed.

But I'd agree with you a lawsuit is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pw-ski

I'm curious if any of you manage to get 5G while roaming. I only tested in Naples in Italy where I should have perfect 5G coverage with eir roaming, but it was only working in LTE mode. So it seems like this lack of certification for EIR also impacts roaming partners, wondering if any of you had different experience...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Still nothing from Google about this. It is very disappointing. I have seen 5G from GoMo on a Samsung but doubt I ever will on the Pixel 6 Pro

It was the same for me with EE in the UK. I assumed that for roaming they purposely don't put you on 5G as it would cost more.

• Advertisement

I'm still sending in feedback from the phone once a week requesting it, probably goes into a black hole of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 conor o brien

Not sure who's fault it is but if your phone is rooted, you can get it working using this guide. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/video-tutorial-how-to-enable-5g-for-unlisted-countries-on-pixel-4a-5g-and-pixel-5-using-qpst.4243129/

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Has anyone tried this on their Pixel 6, do you lose access to Google Pay and banking apps etc?

I tried this method and got 5G working but my AIB and Bank of Ireland apps stopped working.

Update...I got it working with the Banking apps 🙂...see messages in the xda-developers thread for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pw-ski

A bit off topic, but I bought nothing phone 1 and despite being new brand with incomparably smaller support team works with eir 5G straight out of box. Shame on Google...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

I never heard of that make before, is it any good, for photos especially. I'm looking for a new phone for the missus (she has an older pixel but she doesn't care about brands just wants a decent camera).

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AnswerIs42

I bought the pixel 6a and wanted to get a 5g plan with it but have just found this thread.

Does every other provider work with the pixel other than Eir?

I think so going by Google's page - https://pixel.withgoogle.com/5G/?country=IE

Anyone else battery life on the P5 gone amazing since the Android update?

Was seriously considering getting a P7 prior to the update but if this battery keeps holding up how it has, I'm happy to keep going maybe until a Pixel 8 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

I've noticed battery the same since update, no major update. But still no update on the whole 5G situation and with nothing coming from EIR or Google on it. I am having 2nd thoughts about upgrading to Pixel 7 if i can't get 5G on EIR.

My battery life has gone crazy good, so I'm quite happy with latest update...

I think it's network related as to why wifi calling isn't working, I'm on Gomo and it's exactly the same (they use the Eir/Meteor backend) they fobbed me back to Google 🤷‍♂️

This was from my chat with Google :

05:01:23 Jee: You may try to reach out to your carrier about it as they may have a different department who can reach out to Google directly to request for it.

ME : Where can I tell the carrier to request it?

ME : Is there an email?

Me : As this carrier is SIM only, they don't sell any devices at all

Jee: You can try to ask if they have a team that will contact Google directly since this will be a business to business process.

Post edited by Riesen_Meal on

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭northwestramble

It seems the pixel devices only support MmWave and Sub-6 for 5G, at least according to Google support. Does anyone know what Eir operates on for 5G?

It seems crazy that new devices such as pixcel 6A and devics only a little older limited in this way. Especially as most other 5G phones seem to work on Eir for 5G.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but all the networks in Ireland use “sub-6” for 5G and none are currently using mmWave (this one is the fastest but has the smallest range).

I don’t understand why Google went with a whitelist approach for 5G compared to other manufacturers. With other manufacturers if the phone supports the bands for your network 5G will work. Imagine buying an iPhone or a Samsung and it only got 5G on certain approved networks

I can understand Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE not working as that’s usually on the network’s end and up to them to allow it on certain models (usually ones they sell).

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

I keep getting this from google

"I certainly understand your point. However, I'd like to inform you that carrier bandwidth is not compatible with the device bandwidths due to which you're unable to use the 5G connectivity on the device.

If there is any alternate option, I'd have definitely helped you with this."

So they are saying that PIXEL phones are NOT compatible with EIR network... Really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Eir use the same 5G band as Vodafone and 3.

I suppose that it's just pure coincidence that wifi calling for Eir doesn't work either 🙄.

It is bonkers how Google stop some carriers from providing their full services.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Eir and OnePlus phones seem to have had similar 5g compatibility issues in the past but, looking at OnePlus forums, there seemed to be decent will at both ends to resolve the issue unlike with Eir and Google.

I presume they figured it out as I picked up a Nord 2T recently and immediately picked up 5g when I threw my wife's Eir sim in the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭wassie

Do you think its co-incidence that Eir don't sell Google phones either?

No-one on here as been able to definitively show who is to blame either way. Myself suspects its not a technical impidement, but more likely Eir & Google are unable to find a mutually agreeable commercial arrangement (i.e. money) that is preventing the enabling of these network features such as WiFi calling and 5G. Either way who ever is to blame (either or both), it is us consumers who lose out.

There's a huge thread on it on the Google support forum which has been locked of course - https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/137864031?hl=en&msgid=142878867

It's not just Eir Google don't whitelist on their devices.

I submitted a complaint to the European Consumer Centre Ireland as recommended towards the end of that thread this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭larchielads

Bought the 6a and im on the 3 network and have found that it has very poor speeds. More or less the same with 4g on 3. Im in waterford.

Advertisement