Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Pixel 5 and Eir 5G

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AtlanticDuck

Bought a Pixel 7 Pro, and my new 5G plan from Eir doesn't connect to 5G...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Redwid

Tested today Pixel 7 Pro on my eir SIM card. And got 5G working.

Download/Upload speeds looks the same as on my Pixel 5 with 4G network:

If some body needs, carrier settings version (BTW VoLTE is presents):

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Redwid

At the same location, Vodafone in Pixel 7Pro with 4G showed ~100Mbs

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pw-ski

Hey just to check on this as I plan to try Eir again, do you still see 5G on your pixel 7? I understand speeds are slow, but TBH for me main advanteg of 5G is massive MIMO which should result in more reliable connection ,kind of LTER speeds are OK with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Most noticeable difference going Pixel 5- Pixel 7?

Looking to upgrade

• Advertisement

there is a very significant diffrence between the 2 devices P7 is premium device P5 was mid tier also a lot of things (like camera) got upgraded. Bottom line: P7 is worth the money to upgrade

so on my P7 i now (finally) have 5G on Eir netowrk , transfer speeds are not amazing but fast enough (say 30-80Mb downloads which is really enough for practically anything you do on a phone...), what's more importan to me than downloads is that connectivity is much more stable, at least in Ballsbridge where 5G coverge is strong.

This is by far most important aspect of having 5G connectivity to me. Happy that finally works, but took crazy long for Google to fix this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Nice that Google finally pulled the finger out. Is WiFi calling also available to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tazb

Thanks for that. My phone is Pixel 5a 5g so not sure if seetins are different for eIR. carrier settings are older Aug 22(v yours Sept 22)Bu I cand update my carrier settings. How did you do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nidek

Hi @pw-ski @Redwid

I've just update my phone pixel 7 pro to March 2023 update 03-2023

Since this update I am not longer get 5G signal over EIR mobile network.

Can you confirm if you have same issue ?

Look like Google update the network operator settings and broke something ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

I'm the same only LTE so at least it's not just me.

Unfortunately exactly same problem here, super annoying as I was so happy with 5G, 5g massive mimo technology makes huge difference to connection reliability/ stability

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭redmond08

On the June 2023 update, 5G now seems to be working with Eir. I've a Pixel 6 Pro & the wife has a pixel 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Hallelujah and eir is now on the list of supported networks

https://pixel.withgoogle.com/5G/?country=IE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭wassie

Note that according to the Google link @Griffinx posted above, 5G is only supported by Eir (and by extension GoMo) on the Pixel 6a & higher models.

However I have heard reports of it working on the the Pixel 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

My Pixel 6 will not switch to 5G when I'm roaming even though 5G works fine in Ireland. I tried my sim in another phone and 5G works just fine when roaming but not in my Pixel unfortunately.

Had anyone else noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kevmc21

I find this whole Google Pixel thing weird. Especially as they only seem to support 5G in 31 countries globally. There are at least 34 countries just in Europe alone with 5G networks using NSA - Non Standalone, which uses 5G cells but the core net is 4G and Standalone which is proper 5G.

My GF got a Pixel 7 to use with her Eir sim and can't get Wifi calling to work.

I have a Pixel 5 which I tried to use with a 5G sim in Thailand a few months ago, but was stuck on 4G the entire time as Google didn't support 5G nor the Thai network DTAC.

On Eir I use a Sony Xperia 5 ii which is fine for 5G and wifi calling.

My Eir sim is not my main number because I live in Derry, although Eir are stronger than all 4 UK networks in our house.

But we're moving to Cork soon. I'm hoping the 5G and Wifi calling work in my main phone a Sony Xperia 1 iv.

Has anyone had success on Eir with Wifi calling on any Pixel phone yet?

Advertisement