Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFI Fare Revisions from 28th November 2022 Including New 90 Minute Fare.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

I am delighted to see the 90 minute fare coming in at last and I think that it will make a huge difference to how people utilise public transport once everyone gets the idea. Personally, this will make a big diffrence for me now, being located close to two modes and having ditched the annual bus-only ticket due to Covid home working.

A question:

The full fare determination document states that Xpresso Leap fare at €3.00 will include "enabling free onward transfer for all passengers within 90 minutes". If an Xpresso route is the second part of a multi-part journey, will you simply be charged a €0.50 top-up fare after initially being charged €2.50 on your first tag-on? I would assume so but it doesn't appear to explicitly state this anywhere.

An observation:

The disconnect betwen the Irish Rail 90-minute limit and the bus network is ridiculous. At the very least, any location served by both rail and bus should be able to avail of the 90 minute fare regardless of what mode or modes are used. Its is absurd that, for example, one can travel from Dublin City Centre to Greystones by a single DART journey and be charged €4.90 but if you hop off at Bray and on to a 84/184 to complete the journey to the very same spot, you'll only pay €2.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

If someone uses the short fare, but then uses another mode of transport within 90 minutes - will there be capping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Not clear yet. I think, if a short made and then another (long) made within 90mins from the initial tap, the initial 1.60 Euro should jump to a total of 2.30 Euro. So, first tap 1.60 Euro and second tap 0.70 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was the 90 minute transfer not already in place? Maybe it was just for each mode separately. I have a LEAP card that I use now and then and I certainly recall getting a reduction on fare no.2 within 90 minutes of fare no 1. Cannot remember if it applied to bus and LUAS but am guessing it just applied to the first mode used i.e. bus first, no reduction unless you take another bus (not Luas/Dart) within 90 minutes. Is that right?

Am out of practice with PT since WFH and Covid etc.

Edit, just read OP again doh! 90 min transfers to apply across all modes now. Apologies for wasting time.

Exactly! 90 minutes fare isn't the same as the existing Leap 90 discount: https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I am delighted to see the 90 minute fare coming in at last and I think that it will make a huge difference to how people utilise public transport once everyone gets the idea. 

It's amazing how many people still don't get the idea of Leap card. Lots of slow learners about and they greatly increase dwell times for everyone else.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Seen citymapper just implemented this new feature for Dublin, in perfect time for the launch of the new fare system!

It currently only displays the adult fare, and doesn't separate the fare for each bus if taking multiple trips unfortunately - although that's understandable given the limited resources they would have had to build this data set with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The above doesn't seem to be accurate. It is saying that a particular route I'd often take is €2.50, however according to the Dublin Bus fare calculator it is only €2.25 (and which all bus drivers have charged). The route is only 6 stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

It seems like they're basing it on the Right-hand validator fare (aka the max fare) from seeing the prices it gives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Anyone know will local routes like the L51 on the C spine of Busconnects be operating both fares or short fare only? IMO regardless of the distance the actually travel they should be short fare only, no merssing about going to drivers just tag on and away you go. Might encourage more use of them too rather than using a C1 or C2 to get to Liffey Valley for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Both fares would apply I imagine - the short fare is only valid up to 3km. It’s a bit more than that from Adamstown to Liffey Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Adamstown Stn to Liffey Valley bus stops is about 4.85km straight line, so I consider it pretty much impossible for either the L51 or L53 to only have the short distance fare applicable on either. The same can be said about the L58 and L59, as there's over 5 km between River Forest and Hazelhatch Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Am I correct in saying that the fare changes from today should mean that most people can use the right-side validator on buses now? I used to have to go to the driver for the €2.25 fare most of the time which is a lot slower. Is €2.30 the new max fare? In this is the case it should significantly improve dwell times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Am I right in that the new ninety min fare is only for a few months and then will be increased?

My train fare as it stands is/was €2.40 each way on the leap card, will this now increase to €2.50. I've no need to change to a different mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Correct, although there is nowhere that you can actually learn this. Another great explainer from the NTA.

Well the new fare is now EUR 2.30. It is planned to increase in March to EUR 2.50 but I suspect that may incur a lot of political pushback. We will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Am I meant to activate the travel 90 part or something? Took the 2.30 on the journey to the train but then charged me at the train station?

I would call to Leap card asking for a refund due to an incorrect charge. Did you travel within Dublin or somewhere outskirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its NOT a 90 minute ticket, its a mysterious resurrection of the Inner short hop zone

What journey did you make by Irish Rail?

Its has applied the -1.00 discount

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Some validators on buses are charging the old €2.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

• Advertisement

If the journey by rail started or ended north of Rush and Lusk, south of Bray or west of Hazelhatch/Maynooth the 90 minute fare doesn't apply as its not 90 minutes its a imaginary zone.

The Irish Rail validator will always deduct the max fare which is 4.90 (less 1 euro for the all system 90 minute transfer) and credit back at the other end. This actually is tricky to implement so I wouldn't bet on Irish Rail having this tested fully

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

From what I have seen it is a bit hit and miss. Did some vehicles not get the software update I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

AFAIK if you pay the 4.90 fare, subsequent transfers should be free (not just a €1 discount). If you're going in the other direction you should get a credit back to bring the combined fare down to 4.90 but I'm not sure how that get's implemented.

Rail journey started in Rush and terminated Sydney Parade so shouldn't be that, hopefully just teething issues

Get on to leap for a refund so, that shouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

As above. Contact leap for a refund to your card. It will assist with future travellers not experiencing the same issue if they look into it and correct the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

My leap train ticket is the same price today, nothing changed, wasn't expecting it to either, 2.30 each way. But next year the same trip will be 2.50 each way, €8 increase per month, boo eamon ryan, its always increasing prices with the greens.

Seems to be correct going home so hopefully just a glitch this morning, will see how it goes tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder if someone would know this.... if a person is making a short 1.60 journey and returning on the same short journey within 90 minutes, seems to me that it is better for them to tap at the validator for 2.30 for journey 1 and the second journey is free instead of 2 x 1.60, is this correct or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

The second journey would only be charged as 70c. If you used the validator or interacted with the driver.

Advertisement