If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

change a light commercial to private tax

  • 09-11-2021 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18 mi99

    can a light commercial? be changed to private tax is there a form available


  • Registered Users Posts: 50,203 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26

    Not sure about a light commercial vehicle but generally changing the classification from commercial to private might also mean you have to pay additional VRT as commercial vehicles would have originally had a lower VRT rate than. Also it might be taxed based on engine size if taxed privately as co2 rates only apply to passenger vehicles afaik. Then you may have a world of pain with insurance companies and they may not insure a commercial vehicle for social and domestic use only which is what you are doing by changing it over to private tax class.

    Best ring the motor tax office for clarification on the procedure and maybe your insurance company to see how they will cover the change in classification.

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,903 ✭✭✭✭ elperello

    As said above contact the local office and provide them with the documentation requested and you should be good to go.

    You will have to pay the cc rate tax if done privately.

    Insurance companies cover commercially taxed vans for social domestic and pleasure use.

    This might be useful.

  • Registered Users Posts: 18 mi99

    thank everyone for the information, the vehicle in question is 30 old soon that was the reason I was asking

    many thanks.

  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ timple23

    Similar to OP, looking at buying a car/van, seller is advertising it as being sold with a new doe, can I tax it privately or will I have to tax it commercially? It would be cheaper to tax privately. Car/van will be used driving to/from work so I don't know would that be classed as commercial use.

  • Registered Users Posts: 18 mi99

    I asked in the tax office yes you can tax it privately and would work well if it is over 30 years old i think that under that could be it going private it would be taxed on the engine cc

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ SBS

    If it's privately taxed does it need DOE or NCT?

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,903 ✭✭✭✭ elperello

    CVRT which is what the DOE is called now.

    It's the same test whether taxed private or commercial because the taxation class doesn't change the type of the vehicle.

  • Registered Users Posts: 18 mi99

    all the comments has been helpful thank you all very much