Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

change a light commercial to private tax

• 09-11-2021 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

can a light commercial? be changed to private tax is there a form available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not sure about a light commercial vehicle but generally changing the classification from commercial to private might also mean you have to pay additional VRT as commercial vehicles would have originally had a lower VRT rate than. Also it might be taxed based on engine size if taxed privately as co2 rates only apply to passenger vehicles afaik. Then you may have a world of pain with insurance companies and they may not insure a commercial vehicle for social and domestic use only which is what you are doing by changing it over to private tax class.

Best ring the motor tax office for clarification on the procedure and maybe your insurance company to see how they will cover the change in classification.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,080 ✭✭✭✭elperello

As said above contact the local office and provide them with the documentation requested and you should be good to go.

You will have to pay the cc rate tax if done privately.

Insurance companies cover commercially taxed vans for social domestic and pleasure use.

This might be useful.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_tax_rates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mi99

thank everyone for the information, the vehicle in question is 30 old soon that was the reason I was asking

many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Similar to OP, looking at buying a car/van, seller is advertising it as being sold with a new doe, can I tax it privately or will I have to tax it commercially? It would be cheaper to tax privately. Car/van will be used driving to/from work so I don't know would that be classed as commercial use.

I asked in the tax office yes you can tax it privately and would work well if it is over 30 years old i think that under that could be it going private it would be taxed on the engine cc

• Advertisement

If it's privately taxed does it need DOE or NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,080 ✭✭✭✭elperello

CVRT which is what the DOE is called now.

It's the same test whether taxed private or commercial because the taxation class doesn't change the type of the vehicle.

all the comments has been helpful thank you all very much

Advertisement